TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I have ridden two boomerangs, Worlds of Fun's Boomerang and SFoT's Flashback, and Flashback probably had the worst restraints of any coaster I've ridden. I was actually able to avoid any headbanging, but that's because the hard shoulder harnesses snapped down a little too tight before we left the station (thanks to the ride op) and then heading in to the Cobra Roll it snapped down waaaay too tight on my shoulders. I really think Six Flags should give the trains or restraints an upgrade if at all possible.

The train cars were nowhere to be seen at SFOT. You could read that as "maybe they've been ditched in favor of new ones" or "maybe they've been sent off to get upgrades" but it's probably "they took them to a covered storage area somewhere."

YES, the track is greasy and nasty and the equipment all shows its age. As 20+ yr-old coasters go, though, it seems to be in good shape.

image.thumb.jpg.401cb911bed8aec643dd876641ebb119.jpg

Station and queue area removed, train missing

image.thumb.jpg.65a649728c7715384970c7070c6add61.jpg

track in good shape, despite needing some fresh paint

image.thumb.jpg.4aeefc399c102c81a1ecc29e24ff8270.jpg

Half-expected to see that it was powered by hamster wheels

image.thumb.jpg.f4d92a346142638fc3c96a38ce7e89e8.jpg

buying stock in degreaser now!

Any word on if Mr. Freeze is up and running? It was closed for the 2 days I was there in June so I was already a bit apprehensive about it operating this weekend. And then reading through the thread some one said it was down for 2 more days earlier in this month and that there seemed to be some track work going on. I'll be quite bummed if we miss out on Reverse Mr. Freeze yet again on Saturday.

Anyone know more?

Happy to report Mr. Freeze was open all day Saturday and the crowds were very light! We rode it 3 times in the first 30 minutes the park was open, and once later for four total rides. I think I prefer it backwards instead of forwards. Looking down the spike, down at the ground, instead of up at the sky.

Mr. Freeze & American Thunder - 4x each

Boss - 2x

Batman, Screamin Eagle, River King Mine Train, Ninja, & Pandemonium - 1x each

Colossus, Scooby Doo, Rush Street Flyer 1x each

Full circuit on the train.

SkyScreamer was closed 90% of the day which was a bummer for the 2 who hadn't been on it yet. Excalibur was also closed all day. Passed on Highland Fling and Superman this trip. The park closed at 8pm but having done everything we wanted to do, we left around 6pm.

Happy to report Mr. Freeze was open all day Saturday and the crowds were very light! We rode it 3 times in the first 30 minutes the park was open, and once later for four total rides. I think I prefer it backwards instead of forwards. Looking down the spike, down at the ground, instead of up at the sky.

Mr. Freeze & American Thunder - 4x each

Boss - 2x

Batman, Screamin Eagle, River King Mine Train, Ninja, & Pandemonium - 1x each

Colossus, Scooby Doo, Rush Street Flyer 1x each

Full circuit on the train.

SkyScreamer was closed 90% of the day which was a bummer for the 2 who hadn't been on it yet. Excalibur was also closed all day. Passed on Highland Fling and Superman this trip. The park closed at 8pm but having done everything we wanted to do, we left around 6pm.

Glad you had fun. Yeah Excalibur has been closed for a while. I wonder why...

Funny story- One time a kid got off it and threw up bright pink vomit in like 10 different places. Every time he took a step puke came out, and it took them like an hour to clean up.

Excalibur has been closed for a lot of this season, but it's always got problems, so its really nothing new. I have been reading the comments about Boomerang, and been doing some thinking myself, I have very mixed feelings about the whole situation.

Pro's for getting Boomerang:

it raises our coaster count up again and getting us a little closer to a lot of other parks totals

it will help bring people to that back section of the park and give it some life back there

its another coaster

the noted orange and green colors will look nice next to the Screamin Eagle

Con's for getting Boomerang:

it's not a hyper or giga or steel giant

its a 20+ year old coaster that is being removed most likely due to low ridership

its a Vekoma, which is just like our Ninja, unless new trains are added, we will end up having another coaster like Ninja, with low ridership, just taking up space that everyone including the operators of the ride complain about regularly, that will almost always be a walk on ride..

Flashback first opened at SFOT in the spring of 1989, I was among it's first riders. By the time it re-opens at SFsTL in the spring of 2013 it will be 24 years old. It definitely needs new trains, the current ones are the old Arrow trains with those god awful horse collars.

Back when the boomerang was new it seemed pretty smooth and fun to ride. But age has taken it's toll, now the ride is anything but smooth. It can still be a fun ride if they refurbish it properly with new trains and all. But if all they do is paint it a different color then the ride will likely continue to lose ridership.

Have a few things here....

1. We are going to the park on Saturday (10-6). It would apper that six flags wants the same amount for 4 Gold passes that it costs for two. Anyone want to go halves? I need two passes and want the gold ones, hate to waste em.

2. Last time we went 3 or 4 weekends ago, Mr Freeze was running off and on. Realized that when you hit the top of the top hat it almost feels like you are going to stop. Am guessing that they are going to have to give it some TLC in the off season or it will become a major trainwreck.

3. I have always hated riding the Ninja it's just never been that great of a ride, kinda rough and the shoudler restraints suck. I deiced to try the Robb Alvey trick to make the Atlanta version more enjoyble (riding in the fron steat of the last car) and it was a pretty fun ride.

Let Me know if you are intrested in the passes. GO BOOMERANG.. WOO HOO!!!

2. Last time we went 3 or 4 weekends ago, Mr Freeze was running off and on. Realized that when you hit the top of the top hat it almost feels like you are going to stop. Am guessing that they are going to have to give it some TLC in the off season or it will become a major trainwreck.

The 2nd time on the top hat has always been that way.

Is Ninja really as bad as everyone here says it is, because I've seen a lot of other comments on forums/videos that say it's just the last helix that might through you around a bit.

Maybe it's just the TPR theme of everything made or started by Arrow sucks...

Edited by IronWolfman