TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Here is what I don't get, there is no draw for a boomerang and I am not sure how the management team EVER came up with the idea there would be one. Worlds of fun already has this ride and even on a Halloween night when ther are incredibly packed every other queue line has 1 to 1.5 hour wait the boomerang has a ten to fifteen minute wait. It sits between two haunts and people won't touch it. Furthermore it's just As bad in the summertime. It may get some initial fanfare but once everyone has experienced it they will feel as most do and never go back for seconds. This is the only coaster at WOF I just absolutely refuse to ride.

I received an email a few days ago from them talking about the exciting announcement and all the cool stuff they have added over the last few years. Yes, one of those items was reverse blast and they were treating it as some big

Capitol addition. Quite honestly making a big deal about having 9 coasters? Look at how many of those 9 are cookie cutter machines you can ride at other parks. With Batman, Mr Freeze, Pandemonium (Tony Hawk), Evil Kenieval, Ninja (I know this one only kind of counts), and now Boomerang. Thats 6 of the 9 and they wonder why the park is never super packed.

It's just unnerving that they are acting as if they are making this huge Capitol expenditure expecially since I am pretty sure this thing is at the end of its depreciable life. If they were truely smart they would have went for an Intamin giga or at least an awesome hyper. There is no giga in this part of the country. To be honest I think they would have been better off trying to buy Greased Lightning from Kentucky Kingdom since its painfully obvious to me that the KY state fair board obviously wants it shuttered forever. At least they would be saving something that deserves to be saved and not something that the rcdb shows there being 47 of in existance.

Looks like I won't be renewing my season pass for next year, I'll be buying a one day admission for West coast bash.

I wonder if they will go with the old train, or if they will upgrade to the new one. I haven't been on Carolina Cobra but I've heard it makes the experience much more enjoyable.

As texcaoster mentioned, the lap bar only trains that run at Wiener Prater are even better than the ones on Carolina Cobra. You put those on and complaints will diminish by 94.7%

I doubt if there ever will be made another train like that on the wiener prater boomerang while the company that made it (Schäfer Amusement Technology); went bankrupt a while ago.

^^Whine, whine, whine.

OK, so this year's announcement is ho-hum. I get it. But bitching because Evel Kenieval is a clone of something on the other side of the planet that 99.9999999324% of SFStL's customers have never even heard of, let alone ridden, is pushing the limits of fanboy angst. Seriously.

And Freeze? There's just ONE other one and it's several hundred miles away.

WOF has a boomerang. Yeah, I get it. But those other "clones" at your park aren't exactly experiences that you'll get someplace else in the area.

At least you have a park.

^^^^^ Hahahahaha! That was hilarious!! You should write for the Onion

Anyway, it's kind of ridiculous to think that the park "doesn't get crowded" because of the large number of clones in the park. The GP has absolutely no idea that the rides are clones, nor do they care. Most of them probably rarely or never even visit other regional amusement parks outside the area they live in. SFFT has a Batman clone that is identical to one five miles down the street at SeaWorld that had been added ten years earlier, and the GP hardly notices if at all. The line still fills up. The GP doesn't care. Only enthusiasts care.

^^

Well put. The whining about this Boomerang is getting old. The clone argument isnt even an argument worth arguing. Look at some of the other SF parks, Most of them have the B&M Batman clone and of course SFFT has the matching mirror image of the SFSTL one. Many of them have a Boomerang, big deal. Sfft has the clone of Mad Cobra/FoF/jokers Jinx. Then there is Pandimonium coasters all over the chain, they may not all be clones but they might as well be.

So anyways, yeh it's a bummer that SFSTL is getting a Boomerang but at least it's better than no addition at all.

Sometimes you have to save up your pennies for a few years, and then you never know, a BIG ride could be in the planning stages.

No need to make such a big deal out of an off year (enthusiast-wise).

The new management seems to be doing things the responsible way. One or two "big" rides a year, while making sure all the park get something in the meantime.

A Boomerang with only lap bars? That sounds like a bad idea, too.

Why? Why is it a bad idea to install a version of a proven ride, but make it better by increasing the comfort for the riders, while decreasing the likelihood that people will HATE IT?

What could possibly be bad about that idea?

...unless you're one of those people that thinks they'll fall out if they go upside down without shoulder bars. In that case, you're delusional, because Schwarzkopf.

Why? Why is it a bad idea to install a version of a proven ride, but make it better by increasing the comfort for the riders, while decreasing the likelihood that people will HATE IT?

...unless you're one of those people that thinks they'll fall out if they go upside down without shoulder bars. In that case, you're delusional, because Schwarzkopf.

Let's recall 2001 Premier Coasters with over the shoulder restraints- painful as heck!

Next season with lap bars: blessing from above.

Maybe it will be better with lap bars. Who really knows until 2013?

I thought the backwards portion, especially in the cobra roll, would get one's upper body flailing around, but I could be wrong.

it's not going to do anything but add a coaster to the line up of the park, and impress a few folks, if the trains don't get changed, it will just take one season of that for folks to realize its just as bad of a ride as Ninja is, so then we will have 2 bang your head, boring coasters in operation at the same time... well at least we know with the 2 bad coasters, there will be 2 rides you can always walk on at any given time. at least there is Silver Dollar City and doing another TPR trip, eventually my home park will get a worthwhile investment from corporate...

Maybe they will make it run backwards.

That would mean extensive redesign of the trains.

If they're doing that anyway, they'd need to remove the OTSRs... I can only imagine hitting the cobra roll first while going backwards with OTSRs.

Lawsuits, anyone?

The new management seems to be doing things the responsible way. One or two "big" rides a year, while making sure all the park get something in the meantime.

This. Exactly this. I think Six Flags has finally figured out how to add things to the parks as needed without running themselves into the ground financially.

^^

I definitely agree with that for sure. Doing a little bit of redistribution of their rides from one park to another makes "financial" sense. May not make a lot of sense to the ignorant coaster enthusiast, but of course that's not who they're trying to appeal to anyways. The GP will be (using the term loosely)"satisfied" as long as they see Six Flags making new additions yearly or every other year.

OOOOOO, I got it!

In order to capitalize on the latest thing, all the restraints will be covered in black leather, the train will be black with silver studs, they'll handcuff your wrists to the grab bar handles, and the ride op will let you know beforehand that it's going to hurt and you're going to like it anyway.

The structure and station will be painted in fifty shades of gray.