TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's your favorite non first hill drop on a wooden coaster

I've gotta go with either the final drop on Kennywood's Thunderbolt, the second drop on the lamented Texas Cyclone (it dropped alot farther than I thought it was going to!), and perhaps Raging Wolf Bobs' drop of the first turn (experienced in the back seat, right side).

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that one special drop somewhere in the back half of the coaster that ejects you from your seat and makes you scream or laugh with delight? That's usually my favorite part of any coaster. As a kid my favorite drop was the one after the turnaround on the Screamin Eagle at SFSTL

Without question my current favorite is the 4th or 5th drop (I can't remember which one it is) on the RAVEN. This drop is a killer and causes me to favor this ride over the legend.

I'm so excited about the VOYAGE!!!!!!!! See you on opening day.

Still to this day, the big turnaround on the Eagle is always my favorite part of the ride, you always get air on that hill! its a shame that they removed the hill that followed that one and replaced it with a straight run up to the last turn.

That one drop on Space Mountain at Disneyland. You know, the one that come out of nowhere and is synced up with the music as you fall (at least it used to, I haven't been on the new one). It's not a very big drop, but the surprise of it gets me every time. Then again, I think a lot of coasters in the dark have drops like that. Nightmare at Great Escape has a couple of those. Even though it's a simple Jet Star coaster not being able to see the drops ahead of time make them that much more thrilling.

Another Texas Cyclone drop... #6 coming out of the third turn. In the rear is (sorry... ) was a real treat as it threw you to the right and then upwards hard. It was sneaky too, as the big hills were behind you. About the only bit of the ride they never did "tame"...

Check out the rear seat POV video...

• 6 months later...
That one drop on Space Mountain at Disneyland. You know, the one that come out of nowhere and is synced up with the music as you fall (at least it used to, I haven't been on the new one).

I never realized that was a woodie. Hmm, anyway......Voyage's triple down for me. And in the pitch black of midnight, it's pure bliss.

The second drop on the Beast, after you come out of the tunnel....it would be better if they took the stupid trim break off!

The drop into the rose bowl on SOB, also the drop into the loop.

I would say Thunderhead....too many hills...all of them are really good, I do love that sig zag u-turn after the 1st drop.

-The 5th drop on the Coney Island Cyclone (in the back!)

-The 5th drop on the Riverside Cyclone (the S-turn drop)

-The airtime hill over Rolling thunder on El Toro!

-Every hill on Thunderhawk before the trim break

Second hill of The Beast

The Double-down midway through Viper at SFGA

Lots of bunny hops on Blue Streak at Cedar Point

Drop after the third tunraround on Screamin' Eagle at SFSL (and actually the 2nd and 3rd hills really)

First hill after the helix (RED side only) on American Eagle at SFGA. (Bunny hops on both sides after the first drop)

As I expounded endlessly while in Sweden, I never thought I'd have a favorite hill on any coaster. (Although Jackrabbit @KW's double-down is heaven.) However, Balder's second airhill after the first drop is now my favorite. It starts as nice floater air and is sustained to the peak, then builds and pops into ejector air on the backside of the hill.