TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Advice Needed: LAX - Magic Mountain on Dec 17th

Hey there,

This seemed like the best place to ask this sort of question, seeing as everyone is always so friendly....

Me and my girlfriend are returning from Japan on our way back to Eastern Canada but we've planned a stopover in LA so we can check out MM. However, as Japan is quite expensive we are quite broke, so are in need of some advice on the cheapest way to get from the airport to the park, and where we can stay for cheap around there without getting shot (just kidding, sort of). Both of us can drive and we have enough baggage to sink a boat but don't mind making bus drivers load it for us.

And if you are feeling extra generous, some advice on how to tackle the park would be great too, although I don't really expect crowds to be too heavy.

Thanks for any help eh?

Cheers,

Matt

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Public transportation in LA is, um, not really good. I suppose there might be a way to take a bus to SFMM, but I'd imagine it would take about three days. Each way. You really need to rent a car.

As for hotels, there are a couple right around the park. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn right at the bottom of the hill, and it was fine. There are a couple of other hotels right in the same area, and a bunch of restaurants, so you shouldn't have trouble finding somewhere to stay.

dt

You might be able to get a shuttle to your airport close to SFMM.

I think I took one called Supershuttle from LAX to my hotel near Knotts last year.

It was like $20 or something.

I'm sure they could get you to your hotel near SFMM for a decent price. (or your hotel might even have a shuttle).

Edit: I did a quick price estimate on supershuttles website. For 2 people from LAX to SFMM would be $60.

Might be able to find something cheaper, but at the very least it's not too bad.

I'd expect a big crowd, as everyone was just released from school on the day before.

I'd start with X, then go to goliath and RRv. It's key to hit X right away, due to lines, and RRv early because though it may look like a short line, you'll be in the station for usually around 20 mins, depending on the row you choose. I'd then do to Deja, beacuse it gets a line too, but the crew has gotten MUCH better, and it's line seems to be the shortest of the Deja's. Sit in the back-that's where the AMAZING air is. You should be fine with everything else, but if you have to skip a ride, DEFINITELY make it Psyclone. That thing kills. If you do go on it, head towards the front, so it doesn't hurt TOO much. SCREAM never has a line, goliath's usually isn't that long, same with Batman. Superman has a usual 2 train wait, so it's fine. That's about it. Skip the water rides, they are gross. There are no flats to reccomend, other that the tilt-a-whirl (how sad), but it's in a rehab

Rent a car for the day, I can't imagine it would be more than $50. And you should be able to get a hotel in the area for about $70, or a bit farther away for around $60.

As for the park, I'll probably be there that day if you want a quick 'how to' and some fastlanes. PM or email me!

I will also be there about that time, but is it better to go during the week? What about X or the current status of the other coasters there? We are planning on going to Magic Mountain, Knotts, Disney, Pacific Park, and Adventure City (since I heard it was closing or something). Any other typical tourist things anyone would recommend? Thank you in advance!

Hi,

I have made the pretty crazy journey on public transport from LAX to Magic Mountain a couple of times, including earlier this year, but this was mainly because I can't drive, so a rental car was out of the question.

If you are insane, or can't drive like me, then:

From outside each LAX terminal you can take a free shuttle bus (Bus 'G') to the Aviation station on the Metro Rail Green Line. From there you can head east on the green line to Wilmington Imperial. At Wilmington Imperial you can take the blue line north to 7th Street Metro Rail Station. Then from there you can take the red line west to Union Station. At Union Station you can catch the MetroLink Antelope Valley line train to Santa Clarita, at which point you have to ring for a taxi using the payphone (Yellow Cabs 661-260-CABS) to come and pick you up as the station is kind of in the middle of nowhere. From what I've worked out, if you stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Six Flags Valencia, you can get to Magic Mountain without having to cross some incredibly dangerous roads that you'd otherwise have to if you stayed at the other surrounding hotels (doing so would be illegal, and most likely fatal in any case!). You can use a couple of pedestrian crossings from the Hilton Garden Inn to get to the Magic Mountain Parkway where you can walk up* the road to the park.

*Again, I'm sure I have read that you're not strictly supposed to do this somewhere. There is no sidewalk (although there is a grass verge), but it's not as dangerous as it sounds - if you walk up the exit side in the morning when people are entering the park and walk down the entry side in the evening when people are leaving the park, you won't be in as much danger. Although don't tell anyone I said this.

If you do decide to take any of this advice, please do so at your own risk, although I've done this a couple of times and I am still alive. This journey will take at least 3 hours each way and cost me (for one way):

$3.00 - MetroRail Day Pass

+ about $8.00 - MetroLink train

+ about $15 for the taxi? (I can't quite remember)

I also headed down to Knott's Berry Farm from Magic Mountain using a combination of the Metrolink train, Metro Rail and the 460 'Disney Bus' and then from Knott's Berry Farm back to LAX. But that took a long, long time and wasn't the most fun journey I've ever made!

Plus a year ago I managed to do Cedar Point without a car via Cleveland, a Greyhound Bus to Sandusky and a taxi ride out to the Point. Again, an insane journey, but it's encouraging to know that these things can be done even if you can't drive a car... I really must take some more lessons and another driving test before any further Stateside visits!!! But living and working in London means that I just take the tube everywhere - plus you wouldn't really want to drive in London...

Robin

Thanks for all of the detailed advice! We'll probably go with a car if it's only 50$ or so, I've spent enough time dragging bags of records around public transportion in the last few months, plus I think driving on the freeway system around LA will be an entertaining experience, much like crossing the road apparently is.

One last (actually that probably isn't true): Where is the closest Denny's? For some reason I feel that it is essential to eat at Denny's while in LA, although I have no idea why.

Thanks again,

Matt

Hey there,

This seemed like the best place to ask this sort of question, seeing as everyone is always so friendly....

Me and my girlfriend are returning from Japan on our way back to Eastern Canada but we've planned a stopover in LA so we can check out MM. However, as Japan is quite expensive we are quite broke, so are in need of some advice on the cheapest way to get from the airport to the park, and where we can stay for cheap around there without getting shot (just kidding, sort of). Both of us can drive and we have enough baggage to sink a boat but don't mind making bus drivers load it for us.

And if you are feeling extra generous, some advice on how to tackle the park would be great too, although I don't really expect crowds to be too heavy.

Thanks for any help eh?

Cheers,

Matt

Look what I found!

Starting at UNION STATION

Ride ANTELOPE VLY LN-METROLINK (LANCASTER) heading north

To: SANTA CLARITA STA./22122 SOLEDAD CYN

Pay $5.00 *METROLINK tickets must be purchased BEFORE boarding *

Ending at SANTA CLARITA

Total cash fare = $5.00

Trip distance is about 34.68 miles.

Leaving Arriving Trip Time

09:15AM 10:04AM 49 mins

11:49AM 12:38PM 49 mins

02:47PM 03:36PM 49 mins

05:48PM 06:37PM 49 mins

Looks like no Metrolink on Sundays, though

That's from http://www.mta.net/default.asp

for Santa Clarita, try http://www.santa-clarita.com/cityhall/admin/transit/routes&schedules.asp

Transit-System-Map.gif.4e172b7ef9d665ef83b625ef77fd10e3.gif

This is the larger "printable" map-should give you some idea of what bus to take in Santa Clarita

One last (actually that probably isn't true): Where is the closest Denny's? For some reason I feel that it is essential to eat at Denny's while in LA, although I have no idea why.

There's a Denny's in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn, which is pretty much right at the bottom of the hill of SFMM, right after you go under the freeway.

dt

• 11 years later...