TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Newborn Baby Guinea Pigs

Wackyboxer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWWWWWWWWW, how cute!!! I have two guinea pigs right now. they're names are schmitty and mr. peepers (peeps) they're soooo cute, i think i have a pic of them...

My first guinea pig looked exactly like schmitty. I named him pumpkin and I think this back when I was in 3rd grade I believe. Then I got hershey and both hershey and pumpkin shared a cage. Pumpkin even gave up the wooden house for Hershey to have it, and when Hershey passed away, pumpkin didn't enter the house . Then when Pumpkin died I got Cleo and she passed away down the line too. And all the small pets we had (gerbils, hamsters, and guinea pigs) are all buried in our back yard next to the woods.

^I know this will probably sound really weird to some people, but we're renting a house right now and we've had a couple of our small animal family members pass away and we've wrapped them up very carefully and we have them stored in a freezer (and no there's no food in the freezer) for the time being. We are planning on buying a house next year and we are going to designate part of the back yard as a Memorial Park for our friends that have passed and bury them there. We decided against burying them where we live now, because we don't want the graves disrupted by someone else who would move in here after us.

UNF!!! I want them! I wish I had pictures of my gerbils to show you guys...I remember my first gerbil was so small (got him from a new litter at my elementary school way back when). I love rodents!

^^^^ On a trip to Boston in '96, we took our gerbils with us since we had no way of keeping them alive at home. We stopped at the Basketball Hall of Fame and they ended up dying from the heat, it was really hot. One of the two, Frances is still [hopefully] buried at the hall of fame.

I think it's well nice that you're going to give them a good burial! Just don't put any food into the freezer..

Nah, they're in a different freezer in a different part of the house, no food goes in there.

And for you tngdiablo, here's a pic of our gerbil Digger.

Digger1.JPG.67a3a63221a53d5f49dba6fdc5f1494a.JPG

Have you taken them all to the vet yet? Did you know oreo was pregnant? Do baby guinea pigs do well or do parents try to eat them

No, they haven't been to the vet yet. They're all extremely healthy and active so we don't feel a huge rush to take them. They get the best food and vitamins and we use the Carefresh Ultra bedding (the best available at our local pet shop) and it's completely changed at least once a week.

Yeah, we knew Oreo was pregnant. Actually, we thought she had gotten pregnant before she actually did. Their gestation is around 65 days and it was close to 80 day from the time we thought she got pregnant til she had the babies, so obviously we were wrong about the actual date of conception. It was really cool for the last month or so of her pregnancy because we could really feel the babies moving around in her tummy.

Coco and Oreo have been doing exceptionally well with the babies. Coco is very protective of them. The only thing he does that I'm not real happy about is that he kind of runs over them when he's playing in the cage, but they've never squealed like they were hurt or anything, so I don't think it hurts them at all. Oreo has been a very attentive mom. She feeds them numerous times throughout the day and stays close to them unless she's eating. She's fairly young and this is her first litter, so we're very happy with the way she's adapting to motherhood. I really wish that the 4th baby had survived because it was the only one that had it's mom's coloring.

To be honest, until we got Sugar (our older female that was a rescue) I was never a fan of guinea pigs, but she really won me over and her cage is right next to my chair, so we've really bonded and we talk to each other all the time.

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them as best I can, so please ask away.

Are you keeping the babies or sending them to new homes?

We are keeping all 3 of them (so we'll have to invest in a new cage in the near future). We will most likely breed them again and if it's successful, we plan to sell the babies through our local pet shop, but, I suspect we'll fall in love with them, and that'll make it very hard to sell them.

I was reading the names thinking Joni Mitchell, Ringo Starr and... Socks?

Well, you're right about Ringo (him and the fact that he has a white ring around his neck). Joni is actually named after a lady that my wife works with whose birthday was the same day as the babies were born. Socks, well, that's because he's mostly brown but has little white patches around a couple of his feet, hence Socks.

I know that the parents guniea pigs make sure their young ones are in between them when they are all walking.

I haven't seen ours do that yet, but that would be really cute if they did.

Our American Eskimo, Princess, just adores the parents and the babies. She thinks she's everybody's momma, and she's been so excited to see the babies. We have a playpen for the parents and from day one, every time we put the parents in the playpen, Princess will walk around the outside of the playpen, just following them around and nuzzling them and they nuzzle her right back. It's really kind of amazing.

^Cool, I love chinchillas. I'd eventually like to get a couple. I"m also hoping to eventually get sugar gliders and a couple of ferrets. We're hoping to breed Princess next year if we're able to buy a house. I definently keep posting pics of the baby guinea pigs progress for as long as Robb and Elissa will let me!

It sounds like you really know what you're doing and have done the research! That really makes me happy! I hate it when people have pets but don't seem to know how to properly care for them. Great job! Robb and I are considering a Guinea Pig in the future, and I'd love to talk to you more about it at some point.

PigTums!!!!

Our American Eskimo, Princess, just adores the parents and the babies. She thinks she's everybody's momma, and she's been so excited to see the babies. We have a playpen for the parents and from day one, every time we put the parents in the playpen, Princess will walk around the outside of the playpen, just following them around and nuzzling them and they nuzzle her right back. It's really kind of amazing.

That reminds me when I had my first guniea pig, we used to set him next to our old dog luke and luke would just nudge him and let pumpkin run around on him

^^^^ On a trip to Boston in '96, we took our gerbils with us since we had no way of keeping them alive at home. We stopped at the Basketball Hall of Fame and they ended up dying from the heat, it was really hot. One of the two, Frances is still [hopefully] buried at the hall of fame.

oh man, I pass the basketball hall of fame when I go to and from college since I live 25 minutes or so south of Springfield. Now where did you bury the gerbil? Because I know the original building is still up since they built the new Basketball Hall of Fame