TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Asia, Get Ready for the Return of Theme Park Review!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you guys have a fantastic time weather its going to all the parks you listed or staying in your hotel rooms playing twister and UNO the whole time due to some freak snowstorm!!

Either way HAVE FUN!!!

Looking forward to the updates and tr pics!!!

Oh ya Elissa I bet you are looking forward to that Spin Turn Coaster ride that Robb put up to show!!! Maybe you will hop on one of the cars that spins the most like that last car in the video!!

- what else am I leaving out that "normal" people do?

have sex

Our goal with the group trips is to make trips that would normally seem "far fetched" to some people as affordable as possible.

And we love you for that! In that sort of platonic way The trip really is quite cheap IMHO for a group trip.

Yep, Robb hit the secret right on the nose. Leanne and I both do not have the highest paying jobs in the world. While Leanne and I like to go out and do things on the weekends, we do not have basic cable, run the heater very much (it actually has been cold here in Florda), go out to eat for lunch very often (I often have my lunch in my work van). Do not have car payments (I have a work van). My computer is 5 years old etc. If you set aside a $$ goal for something it takes discipline, but you would be surprised how attainable it is once you cut out all the unimportant things. Though I did have to buy her Macgyver season 4 for Christmas today, but it was on sale! Some good advice that was given to me was, "If you hold up an item that you would like to buy ask yourself this quesiton: Is it a want or a need?" Walt Disney World AP pass=need Cat Food=want

Great points you guys are making. I pay for my coaster habit in a variety of ways:

-I work for Disney so that covers those parks

-I bought the 2 year Universal pass so that covers that

-I bought my first Six Flags pass last year and went to 6 different parks

-I use my ACE discount whenever possible (Paramount, Holiday World)

-When I am out of town for work or a wedding, I ALWAYS manage to hit a park or two!

Unfortunately (or fortunately in my case), I just bought a new house, so that tends to curb me wanting to jet off anywhere. I do, however, have some frequent flyer miles which are BEGGING to be used for a trip to L.A.!

As for Japan, I was able to work for Universal there in 2001 and hit a bunch of parks, and I went to Tokyo in 2003 to visit my partner and was able to do the Disney parks as well as La Qua and Fuji Q.

That's all folks!

TokyoDisneySeas.jpg.4ecfb884fca70dd90d63647a95b1ec96.jpg

At Tokyo DisneySeas in 2003 during Christmas!

^The Japan Hafpipe is bigger then any ever built.

-Jake

I'm pretty sure it is not... I think that the Denver and the original are the tallest HalfPipes. Still it is cool that it is on top of a building.

In fact it is pretty clear that it isn't. On RCDB it has "This Half Pipe may be a different size when compared to the others built. A story on this Half Pipe mentions a "52-meter U-shape" and 12 riders. Previous Half Pipe coasters are 30m tall and 70m long with a 16 rider capacity." If that is true then it is definitely smaller.

Robb and Elissa have shown that with a Proper Budget, you can Enjoy Many Things in Life.

People who Casually Spend their Money on their Daily Fix at StarBucks or Whatever, Shouldn't Complain that they Never Travel to Distant Lands.

The Alveys have No Doubt given up a lot to Pursue their Passions in Life.

But, it Obvioussly Works well for Them!

Lets Face It, they have Traveled all Over the World!

A Clear Testimate to Budgeting your Finances to Follow your Dreams!

Since you're not going to Parque Espana, you may want to consider this 'attraction' when you're in Hong Kong. Impressive in its own ways. Depending on the type of person you are, it can be one, twenty, or twenty three credits.

link

Oh I used this escalator in Hong Kong. I believe it was a part of Victoria Peak. I also believe that it is the world's longest as well. You also take a cablecar type tram to get yourselves all the way to the top of the mountain. Its a specatular view from the top, but Im am sure it will be quite cold. rainy and windy in Dec. While Hong Kong and Taiwan are further south than Japan, it actually can be cold and rainy in the winter time. But again, the weather was pretty unpredicable.

I am looking forward to the pictures from this. I finally get see pics from parks that RCDB has very few pictures of!

Hey! I'm working on it!

I am also very excited to meet Robb and Elissa for the first time. I can't go to all of the parks, but I'll see them at least a few days!

Chris B

People often think that travel is far too expensive. Not if you budget and esp. if you are willing to make some concessions. We traveled a lot as a kid, to conventions, to visit family, on vacation, and more. But there were other things that my parents would not do because they were under the impression that it was too expensive.

With the internet and what not, there is no way that someone can't find an affordable trip to anywhere they want to go.

Clint, going to Japan in September for Tower of Terror, B.

Where do you get all that money :shock:

Well, for we both have full time jobs. Two, we really don't spend any money on ANYTHING else but doing our trips. Seriously, almost all of our 'disposable' income gets put into the savings account and put towards our trips.

People think we bathe in money, but really we are your typical average family living off 'middle management' salaries. It's how we spend, or rather don't spend our money that allows us to do these trips. Think about it, we live in a small one bedroom apartment and we don't:

- drink

- smoke

- buy many DVDs

- buy many video games

- have a home theater system

- go to the movies

- go to concerts

- go to sporting events

- have monthly subscriptions to anything

- have credit card debt

- eat out (in restaurants) much

- go over our cell phone minutes

- have premium cable/satellite TV channels

- don't celebrate holiday's in the traditional fashion (instead of buying b-day, anniversary and xmas gifts for each other, we agree to put that money towards trips)

- buy new computers (all our computers were bought used or refurb)

- don't have a car payment

Elissa doesn't:

- get her nails done

- get hair done

- buy jewelry

- buy purses

- what else am I leaving out that "normal" people do?

As much as we would like to do some of those things, we pick and choose things we want to do and trips almost always win out. Our spending budget is very tight and very limited which allows us to do these crazy trips more often.

For example, we haven't seen a movie in the movie theater since Shrek 2 and before that is was the original Spider-Man. We assume the average couple sees one movie per month, which for us would be conservatively around $30 for two tickets, drinks, snacks, gas, parking. Cutting out going to the movies saves us about $400 per year which is about equal to a week's worth of hotel stay on a Florida trip. So we have to figure "would we rather sit in a dark room and watch a movie for a couple hours once a month, or spend a week in Florida?" If you see TWO movies a month, then that's airfare to Japan!

The only thing we spend any kind of money on, which ties into our trips, is video equipment and the website which the DVD sales help cover the costs, but they don't ever cover all of it.

So really, the answer to "where do you get all that money" is simple - we don't spend it on other things. The trips we do are not THAT expensive, especially when you consider that we usually share hotel & car rental costs with other people, look for the cheapest airfare as possible, and we hardly ever buy any souvenirs. (I think I bought ONE T-shirt on the entire Europe trip!)

Our goal with the group trips is to make trips that would normally seem "far fetched" to some people as affordable as possible.

It may take some savings to do one our group trips, yes, but not as much as I think some people would expect and we hope people get as much value out of them as we do!

--Robb "Wishes he had as much money as people seem to think we do!" Alvey

I am definately going to do something like this... I'm not really interested in games and movies at all, I can totally walk or ride the bike to work instead of using the car, I'm not the biggest fan of celebrating all the holydays, I don't like sports and I certainly don't drink, smoke or use drugs Rollercoasters are my life...