TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is the coolest coaster name?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I guess that's likely to happen, yeah. But it's pronounced quite differently and you can't really translate it as it's a name. Actually I'd never noticed that it is spelled in a similar to bacon (probably because English isn't my first language).

• 5 months later...

•Wicked

•Fahrenheit

•Stormrunner

•Skyrush

•sooperdooperLooper

•DiVertical

•Kingda Ka

•Nemesis

•Oblivion

•Rita

•Top Thrill Dragster

•Sky Rocket

•Sidewinder

•Beast

•Venom Rail (I have no idea what it is, I just heard of it before but I forget where)

•Coal Cracker (log flumes count as coasters, right?)

•Great Bear

•Drachen Fire

•Devil's Flight (from final destination 3)

•Firey Fist O Pain (you all know where this is from )

•Joker's Jinx

•Millenium Force

•Hellcat

•Leviathan

•Texas Giant

•Mean Streak

now for some roller coaster tycoon ones

•Whiplash

•Mean Squeak

•Frightmare

•Halitosis

•Shooting Starr (the added R makes it outright amazing)

•Roller Coaster 1

also a cool idea for a racing coaster could be "twinsanity"

Some names that I like are:

Alpengeist

Drachen Fire

& most of the other Busch Gardens names

Leviathan (not as crazy about its counterpart Behemoth, since the word behemoth makes me think of a hippopotamus - actually I think that in the Bible the word is said to refer to a hippo, which would make that a better name for a massive water ride or slide IMO - speaking of the Bible and Leviathan, there leviathan refers to a crocodile, so not too much of a stretch for a serpent of some sort.)

Raging Bull

El Toro

(an angry bull is a great metaphor for a coaster, especially anything with good airtime)

Goliath (would have been much better if not so over-used, also like this name because one of my dogs is named Goliath - but his previous owner named him that so no, I don't go naming my pets after rides. I also have a cat named Maverick, again, named by his previous owner long before Maverick the coaster was ever built!)

Deja Vu - fit the type of ride it was really well.

Furious Baco also sounds cool - but I was also one of those who had no idea what it meant - I thought it was some kind of reference to some cartoon character I had never heard of (which wouldn't be uncommon, since I don't have kids and quite a lot of cartoons have come out since I was a child). I was picturing some kind of Tasmanian Devil-like nasty little animated critter that the coaster was themed to!

Millennium Force is also a good name - it will be forever dated to a specific time in history.

Others I like:

The Beast

Grizzly

Thunderhead

Skyrush (didn't care for that one at all initially, but it has grown on me - actually the only coaster name at HP I still don't care for is Great Bear - would IMO be much better for some kind of flat ride. Fahrenheit fits well because it can be so darned hot standing in that line!)

One thing I wonder about with coaster names is why there aren't more coasters with the word "cheetah" in the name (yes, there is Cheetah Hunt, which isn't particularly fast at all), since that is the fastest land animal and the name evokes extreme speed. Sort of like with cars - you have Jaguars and Impalas, but no cheetahs.... Also, speaking of speed, you'd think there would be many coasters with the name "falcon" (rather than hawk, which aren't even the fastest birds of prey, but that seems to be mostly a CF thing) since the peregrine falcon is the fastest animal period.

It's easy to have a bias towards your local parks for stuff like this, but I really like Thunderhawk, Storm Runner, and Black Diamond, plus I love how they named all the coasters at Mt. Olympus.

WAIT, I nearly forgot my favorite one of all.

Kingdom Coaster.

Bad. Ass.

The Busch Gardens / Seaworld parks have a good collection of cool names for their coasters. My favorites are;

SheiKra

Kumba

Montu

Verbolten

Alpengeist

Scorpion

Manta

Steel Eel

Kraken

Other honorable mentions;

Shockwave

Powder Keg

Psyclone

Bandit

Banshee

Renegade

Raptor

Divertical

Ravine Flyer II

White Lightning

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Expedition GeForce and Skyrush immediately come to mind!

I always thought Deja Vu was actually a pretty good name for the GIBs as well.

Here are a few others:

Iron Rattler

Thunderhead

Outlaw Run

Hades (that ride is EXACTLY how I imagine a trip to hell)

Dueling Dragons (before they got renamed- and worse yet-stopped dueling!!)

Cheetah Hunt

• 1 month later...

Here's a new one in the "odd" category: Leap of the Liquor. No idea if that's really the intended translation from the Chinese 飞跃酒天, but it's not just a quick Google translate, since when I tried that, it came up with "Leap Wine Days."

Okay, now that I see the park is named "Spiritsland," things make a bit more sense...I think?