TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

i need advice on where to go on Orlando(first time)

Im going to orlando from march 15-26 i have 7 full days to go around on everything. i need to know anything that i should be trying. At least i have on my schedule disney, universal, sea world, ripley odditorium, florida skycoaster, wonder works, skull kingdom and a couple more on Int D.

i want to know if i sould go to cypress gardens, busch g. , or any place i haven't seen on internet that would be a "dont miss"

heeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllpppppp

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which Gatorland are you looking at? There are two.

The one in Kissimmee is pretty cool. Tons of alligators and crocodiles, some cool shows, and some damn tasty gator ribs and fried gator fingers . No coasters or anything, but it's interesting enough.

Gatorland in Lakeland is, for lack of a better term, "teh suck". Don't go.

If you're going to Busch Gardens (which you really, really should), I wouldn't bother with either Gatorland. Unless you've got an alligator fetish or something.

As for Cypress Gardens, unless you're a credit whore, it's probably not worth it. That money would be better spent elsewhere.

IMHO.

I think IOA is an awesome theme park with great attractions besides the cool coasters. Ripsaw Falls is the best log flume ever, and the rapids ride and Jurassic Park kick ass too. Almost forgot Spiderman and Dr. Doom's Fear fall, and don;'t miss Posiedon's Fury crazy show that amazes me every time. If you've never been to IOA it would be first on my list!!

Yeah, IoA is an absolute must. Great coasters, great theming... just one of the best parks around. Anywhere.

Busch Gardens has more coasters (too bad you won't be around for SheiKra). The theming is pretty good too.

And I would make it a point to go to SeaWorld. Kraken is my favorite coaster in the area (if you couldn't tell). And there's always plenty to do at Sea World.

If I were you, I wouldn't go to Cypress or Old Town. Well, Old Town does have the Sling Shot and Sky Coaster...but still...I wouldn't.

Also, I think you'll need two days at all of Universal. I went a few weeks ago for three days and just barely got everything in...and it wasn't even crowded!

Im going to orlando from march 15-26 i have 7 full days to go around on everything. i need to know anything that i should be trying. At least i have on my schedule disney, universal, sea world, ripley odditorium, florida skycoaster, wonder works, skull kingdom and a couple more on Int D.

i want to know if i sould go to cypress gardens, busch g. , or any place i haven't seen on internet that would be a "dont miss"

heeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllpppppp

At least two days for Universal, 3 & 1/2 for Disney, and at least one for SeaWorld. Don't spend money on Disney or Universal's nightlife complexes. Downtown Orlando's nightlife is better, and tourists never go there. Ripley's is mildly amusing. Wonder Works sucks. The Orlando Science Center is better and less touristy. Skull Kingdom sucks even more. There's about 4 employees working there at any given time. If you want to go to a really good haunted attraction, wait for October and go to Horror Nights. There's nothing to do at Cypress. It'll probably close before it ever improves. Only go to Busch if you love coasters. Otherwise, Busch sucks (and is an hour away).

Yeah.... that's about it.

Edited by JT3000

First off...if you are needing advice -- you don't know what you want.

I can't figure out what's scarier -- not knowing what you like or someone recommending Old Town.

There was a murder there last week.

O.k. I'm being dramatic (but truthful). But you really should figure out what you want.

Can you really go wrong by visiting Central Florida? No. You can't make a mistake (well, visiting Gatorland would be a mistake imo -- sorry folks on the board pro Gatorland).

As a kid, my parents took two weeks to do Disney World alone (and that was with just two parks, Discovery Island and River Country back in 88 ).

Anywho. I have no idea where you are on the scale of Coaster Whore to Theme Park Whore. So I can't really advise anything, other than to remind you, some places have been the scenes of serious crime recently.

Have fun!

If it is your first time.

1 Day Sea World / I-Drive Attractions

1 Day Old Town / Cypress / I-Drive Attractions

There are jillions of sites that can offer up tips on a Disneyworld trip.

We do it this way -

MK one day with a break in the middle to eat. Have never found anything in the park that I like. From what we've been told Ohana at the P.R. is great.

Epcot - again one day. We normally pack lunch and save up for dinner out.

MGM/AK are easy to do in half day visits. DO AK in the morning, get there when they open. Then MGM in the afternoon and evening. See Fantasmic.

USF - I don't get it, never have enjoyed myself there. We might go for Mummy this year, but if I had to choose it over something else, I'd pass.

IOA - Full day. don't pass on Bluto's raft ride. (just take your shoes off before you take off!)

B.G. - yes do it! great fun.

We've never done Seaworld, so can't comment. Looks fun.

Gatorland - well we did this on our last trip and just laughed from the time we got there to the time we left. Not to be missed if you want to see the other side of amusement parks. Where else can you see the 'gator-jumparoo!', watch gator 'rasslin, and then dine on gator! Too messed up.

Old Town - I'm 50-50 here. We go because it's there, nothing really stands out here. There's a cheesy haunted house, a windstorm coaster, sling shot, skycoaster and a wierd collection of shops and food joints. I'd say go if you've nothing better to do.

Post a TR when you back, will you? Like to hear your thoughts.

Ed (who says, ride the ride in the Mexico pavillion, it's so 80's!)

i will buttonman.

what about restaurants?

i want to eat sushi, indian or any other ethnical food.

i heard about red lobster is it good?

is the Kennedy space center boring? well it is expensive

and :? i have to take a couple childrens to a museum

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

The Orlando Science museum is pretty great.

If you want Sushi or Sashimi, there are two awesome places at Disney. One is at the top floor of the Contemporary Resort (right on the monorail route). The other is smack dab in the middle of the World Showcase at EPCOT. Both are excellent. My highest praise to both of them.

If you're not going to Disney more than a few days (and thus, might not have time to do much at EPCOT), you don't have to pay anything to get into the one at the Contemporary other than parking. Other than the food, naturally

Red Lobster is the craphole of the damned. Ok, perhaps it's not that good...

And yes, the sushi at the California Grill at WDW is excellent. I'm hoping to eat there again on our upcoming trip.

I don't know where it is, but there is a godly indian place in Orlando. Robb and/or Elissa should be able to point you in the right direction.

dt

• 1 month later...
^ True. I added the Old Town / Cypress day for the die hard credit whores. If that isn't your thing than an extra day at Disney would really be helpful.

// We are all credit whores (some are just in denial)

What rides does Disney have that Cypress doesn't have? The Tea Cups? Dumbo's Flight? The Sky Jets? Cypress has more coasters already than any Disney park. Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are cool -- but Splash Mountain is lame.... The combination of Starliner and Triple Hurricane would probably rival Space/Thunder fairly well.

Personally, if you've got an extra day -- I'd spend a second day at Islands of Adventures before more time at Disney. You can see all the worthwhile rides at DISNEY and EPCOT in a single day (thanks to the monorail). MGM is so limited, its only good for a few hours.

Personally, if you've got an extra day -- I'd spend a second day at Islands of Adventures before more time at Disney. You can see all the worthwhile rides at DISNEY and EPCOT in a single day (thanks to the monorail). MGM is so limited, its only good for a few hours.

I gotta disagree with you. If you get to IOA first thing in the morning, you can technically do almost everything within a few hours. Start at the Hulk, Dr. Doom, Spiderman, then do both water rides, Jurassic Park, and Dueling Dragons. We did this during Easter Week and managed to get to the back of the park by noon. Then we had practically an entire day to spend at Universal Studios which for some reason is always more crowded then IOA.

As for doing Magic Kingdom and EPCOT in a single day, it is possible, but you will spend at least a half hour going from park to park. And that is being optimistic. When you go from MK to EPCOT, you take one monorail from MK to the Ticket and Transportation Center, then a 2nd monorail to EPCOT. Add to that the walking, and you've spent almost an hour just traveling.

My advice is to spend an entire day at both parks, getting there as soon as they open and staying as late as you can handle. There are so many things to do at MK and EPCOT that spending just a half day there you will miss out on a lot. Must sees at MK: Thunder, Space, and Splash Montains, Haunted Mansion, Philharmagic, Small World (just because it looks so great now), Pirates, Jungle Cruise,and possible some of the dark rides in Fantasyland. And you MUST see WISHES, the nightly fireworks show.

EPCOT must see's: Mission: SPACE, Test Track, Soarin', and for kitsch factor the biggies up front: Spaceship Earth, Living Seas, Universe of Energy, The Land, Imagination. Spend a few hours in World Showcase and don't miss Illuminations.

MGM can be done in a half day if all you are doing is Tower of Terror and Rock 'n RollerCoaster. FANTASMIC is cool, but I still prefere Disneyland's version and the fact that you don't have to sit on a metal bench in a stadium waiting for it to start. You can literally waste 2 hours for that show, and that's not right!

Good luck!

What rides does Disney have that Cypress doesn't have? The Tea Cups? Dumbo's Flight? The Sky Jets? Cypress has more coasters already than any Disney park. Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are cool -- but Splash Mountain is lame.... The combination of Starliner and Triple Hurricane would probably rival Space/Thunder fairly well.

There is obviously something wrong with you. Disney vs Cypress Gardens, oh LOL! Splash Mountain is lame! LOL!

Ok, I wasn't going to say anything, but after seeing two other posters bring it up...Yeah, I mean WTF???? How the hell can you even dare compare Cypress Gardens to Disney@?!?!?

Elissa "glad to get that off my chest!" Alvey

Ok, I wasn't going to say anything, but after seeing two other posters bring it up...Yeah, I mean WTF???? How the hell can you even dare compare Cypress Gardens to Disney@?!?!?

Elissa "glad to get that off my chest!" Alvey

Well, you obviously don't have young kids.

If you did, then the answer is obvious.

Magic Kingdom and Disney-MGM Studios are excellent parks for young children (ages 3-9).... But Animal Kingdom and Epcot don't offer enough for the "small fries." Cypress Gardens is the better choice than these latter 2 Disney Parks....

The kids and (and some younger cousins) were bored with Epcot quickly -- not enough rides... same with Animal Kingdom.... Yet, no complaints from any of them at CG.

...and from my observations.... CG and Magic Kingdom are on even footing for the younger crowd... ages 3-6.... They really can't tell the difference.

Splash Mountain IS LAME! If I have to listen to that Zip-Bit-Tee-Doo-Da song one more time, I swear.... Never again.... "Song of the South" was a terrible film -- the idea of building a ride around it is laughably bad.

What's Next? Ishtar: The Ride? Leonard Part 6: The Ride? Gigli: The Ride?

IMO, Splash is the worst flume ever. A bad theme can wreck it every time. Even if the elements are decent, I'd rather ride Jurassic Park.

Heck, I'd even prefer an Arrow Flume over Splash anyday.

As for CG versus Magic Kingdom -- why don't you take a few young kids to both and see what happens. They will love BOTH parks.

Red Lobster is the craphole of the damned. Ok, perhaps it's not that good...

Well, Red Lobster is one of my favs... So we definitely have different likes/dislikes.... I'm a huge seafood guy, though. I like Shell's too.

As for food -- I think Epcot is the best theme park to eat at hands down. They got all those countries in addition to "The Land" pavilion.... Its got something for everyone. The candy store near Norway is sweet, too!

EPCOT must see's: Mission: SPACE, Test Track, Soarin', and for kitsch factor the biggies up front: Spaceship Earth, Living Seas, Universe of Energy, The Land, Imagination. Spend a few hours in World Showcase and don't miss Illuminations.

I definitely have to argue that many of these are certainly not "Must See's!"

Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy (even though it was destroyed when they added that stupid "Ellen" to it), The Land and Imagination certainly are awesome attactions. Illuminations if probably the best fireworks show in existence IMO. All of these are must-sees.

But...

Soarin' = Boring...

Living Seas = Yawn... Why visit a dinky Sea World rip-off when the original is far better -- and SW is only a few miles down the street?

Misson Space = 90% rehashed Kennedy Space Center.... I can't believe they bulldozed the awesome Horizons for this pile of junk! The G-Force ride in M:S is just a tarted up Gravitron.