TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo Update! Disneyland Resort w/ Derek, Jeff, & Wes!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys! I'm a great fan of your site. Thought I'd make a post.

About Space, what they did and took them a good 2 years was basically take out ALL tracks, and footers and etc. and replaced all of them with new ones, hence the "smoother track". Theyve also added a new soundtrack, new trains from Tokyo (I think). Also they boarded up the viewing windows making the overal ride much darker. So its basically the same layout, just more added effects.

Now, what you saw was just the "daytime" version. IF you guys didnt know already, in summer 2006 they will be opening the "nighttime" version of SPace mountain, "Rockit Mountain". So daytime you get the regular space, and at night you get some kind of "Rave/rock and roll" version at night with different soundtracks. Rumor has it that its a cross between the OLD Paris Space Mountain and Rockin Rollercoaster. (Of course without the loops)

Okay! Hope that helps!

This site rocks!

^ I noticed some "updated" effects, nothing that has been added. Here is what I noticed:

The first lift with the old red arrows updated with something else (I've even forgotten what the new effect was now!)

The "hyperspace tunnel" from lift A to lift B where it used to have smaller lights that went whizzing by you now has the blue lights ala WDW's version whizzing by.

The "spinning tunnel" on the 2nd lift now has an enhanced version of the same effect it used to have.

The big red "globe" was replaced with a big "rock" (or at least that's what it looked like to me!)

The ending tunnel with the red lights was replaced by some different flickering light stuff. (I didn't even notice this change on my first ride)

That's all I noticed! What there something else new that we missed?

I didn't think the ride "felt" any different, it seemed as smooth as it always was (it still did that gnarly KERCHUNK on the way up one of the lifts!) but then again, remember I didn't ride it much between 1999 and 2003.

I keep hearing about the "Rockit Mountain" thing and with as much hype I hear, I hope it really is something different, not just a new sound track and a light package, because I really thought the new effects to Space, while nice to see, were really not that big of a deal at all and certianly did NOT live up to the hype.

--Robb "But the ride was still a lot of fun!" Alvey

Captured from a POV I downloaded at VisionsFantastic.com, here's some visuals of these new effects.

1197188969_endtunnelexplosion.JPG.efeb7dc3fbb62d3a1b0f5a7a45537f4d.JPG

End "Explosion" tunnel with holographic plastic strips found on many kid's toys...real money saver!

1107352187_warptunnel.JPG.43d51d19b20f71ba859c5fca6fe64bfb.JPG

DLR's version of WDW's warp tunnel featuring pac-man sounds! (heard from POV)

2061513220_smlift.JPG.d6f09ff1488bc31d90de3a7b79a1331b.JPG

First Lift...wtf is this? I can't figure it out.

An enjoyable update, as usual, Robb, but I weep for Sleeping Beauty's Castle having to endure all the bashing it receives here and elsewhere. Sure, it's small, but cute. Easy to chomp down and swallow (but probably rather tough to digest).

I wonder what Prince Phillip thought when he and Sleeping Beauty moved in. "Hey, I hacked through a wall of thorns, killed a freakin' dragon, and endured those three blabbermouth fairies for this . . . medieval garden shed?"

Aghh! Now I'm bashing the castle!

^ I noticed some "updated" effects, nothing that has been added. Here is what I noticed:

The first lift with the old red arrows updated with something else (I've even forgotten what the new effect was now!)

The "hyperspace tunnel" from lift A to lift B where it used to have smaller lights that went whizzing by you now has the blue lights ala WDW's version whizzing by.

The "spinning tunnel" on the 2nd lift now has an enhanced version of the same effect it used to have.

The big red "globe" was replaced with a big "rock" (or at least that's what it looked like to me!)

The ending tunnel with the red lights was replaced by some different flickering light stuff. (I didn't even notice this change on my first ride)

That's all I noticed! What there something else new that we missed?

I didn't think the ride "felt" any different, it seemed as smooth as it always was (it still did that gnarly KERCHUNK on the way up one of the lifts!) but then again, remember I didn't ride it much between 1999 and 2003.

I keep hearing about the "Rockit Mountain" thing and with as much hype I hear, I hope it really is something different, not just a new sound track and a light package, because I really thought the new effects to Space, while nice to see, were really not that big of a deal at all and certianly did NOT live up to the hype.

--Robb "But the ride was still a lot of fun!" Alvey

You've pretty much summed up all of the new effects with the exception of the new surround sound system in the cars (if your just a technical freak like me). The big rock you see is not part of the daytime effect. That is infact one of the many floating astroids/meteroids/comets revolving throughout the ride for Rockit Mountain. Basically its painted with that blacklight paint so all of them will give off a glow I guess for the night time version. If I'm not mistaken, it will give off the same effect of the glowing asteroids of the Older version of Space Mountain Paris (I have not been on it before, but some tell me that the asteroids glow) while theres a light show going on with the tune of the rock soundtrack.

As much as a fan I am about Disneyland, do NOT believe in all the hype. It will NOT be mindblowing. Its just something "new" to do at Disneyland (They are going to open this when they release the new drop program for HOrrible Tower" in summer of 06).

Although I "AM" quite interested in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie add-on to the classic ride.

Oh last thing. I didn't see in your update about the Fireworks show "Remember dreams come true". You did see it did you?

I think its an Awesome show and IMO shouldn't be missed.

Oh last thing. I didn't see in your update about the Fireworks show "Remember dreams come true". You did see it did you? I think its an Awesome show and IMO shouldn't be missed.

I have not seen it. Mainly because we are not big "nighttime" park people. We prefer to get there early and beat the crowds and leave earlier. Fireworks and other shows are not really a big deal for us. We've seen Wishes at WDW once and then HalloWishes recently.

And other than seeing Illuminations maybe once every other WDW visit or so, we don't do many night time events or any other shows. I haven't even seen Fantasmic in about 10 years and I have still yet to see Fantasmic at WDW.

I'm sure the fireworks show is really good, but it just doesn't interest me that much.

--Robb

I am willing to bet that a lot of the people contributing to that hype are 1) simply glad to have it back again, 2) this is the only of the Space Mountains they have been on, and 3) the ride has been down for 3 years--a lot of us aren't as old as...some people here ( ) and dont quite remember the details of the old one.

...just guessing, as all 3 of those contribute to why Space Mountain is currently the coaster I most want to ride in SoCal. ...besides the fact that I have ridden every other coaster down here a million times, except for Space.

I almost feel sorry for the castle after your guys's updates!

It's too bad you didn't catch a POV of the *New* (refurbished) Space Mountain. As mentioned as seen in pics and stuff, just the theming is updated, effects updated and fresh track is installed. I saw on another POV that the "Explosion" tunnel at the end is just a black tunnel with some silver holographic strips instead of the trippy redish orange light-up tunnel (which I preferred).

Is it really just holoraphic strips?! I'm pretty sure it is the same technology in the red, spinning tunnel at the beginning of the ride...

About Space, what they did and took them a good 2 years was basically take out ALL tracks, and footers and etc. and replaced all of them with new ones, hence the "smoother track". Theyve also added a new soundtrack, new trains from Tokyo (I think). Also they boarded up the viewing windows making the overal ride much darker. So its basically the same layout, just more added effects.

We know, it just doesn't feel that much different.

I'm still wondering about that question that Scappari posted earlier, like how you get pictures of the fat people without them noticing.