TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Or Williamsburg?

^ I have absolutely no problem with Busch letting in military families for free. Hell, with what you folks are going through and the cutbacks in federal benefits, you more than deserve it. But for a park that stresses internationalism and is visited by a number of foreign tourists, I found being exposed to surprise jingoistic propaganda pretty weird. (Plenty of Canadians visit Florida, after all, and if I were going back to Toronto after visiting BGT, I'd think twice about buying a Bud.)

We could get into whether or not "Support Our Troops" means "Support the War" - let's face it, there are a lot more of those stick-on yellow ribbons on red-state SUVs than San Francisco Priuses - but I tend to get into quite enough political trouble on these boards as it is. Bottom line: I just can't figure out why a park themed around (basically Western) Europe, a part of the world with, shall we say, mixed feelings about U.S. military adventurism, should feature speakers blaring out The Marine Corps Marching Song. Oh well, at least they haven't renamed Le Scoot the "Freedom Flume."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BGW beats BGT in a couple ways:

1. BGW has a much better atmosphere, and it is not located by a city. What I remember of BGT is that there was a city right by it, not that it is a huge problem, I just like the feeling of escaping in a theme park.

2. The lush surroundings of BGW beats BGT's by a mile. When I went to BGT, it was very hot and the sun was beating down. BGW has trees all around the park and the gardening is much more beautiful.

3. There is always that coaster debate, so, who has the better coasters? In my opinion, even though that BGT has Sheikra, I still think BGW has a better coaster collection. You are probably thinking I'm nuts, but BGT only has Montu, Kumba, and Sheikra. The other coasters suck, Python has nothing to show, Scorpion is respectable but isn't enough to match any of the coasters at BGW, Gwazi is a dump, and Cheetah Chase is just a wild mouse where you can find at any other park. BGW has two classics and two soon to be classics.

That's just my opinion, sorry if I sounded like a BGW fanboy.

I agree with you, I prefer BGW to BGT, but be fair, the last time i was there, Gwazi was not a dump. And as far as the atmosphere goes, its florida, generally its hotter there. Also, the park is themed to Africa, its hot there too which is also the reason why the landscaping there is different from BGT. Im not saying you have like it, but i am saying thats the environment they were looking to create, and they did.

Yeah I found the anti-Miller ads while standing in the restrooms to be quite funny. I am still waiting the be alone in one of those restrooms so I can take a picture of some of them. I would not dare to try to take a picture with other people in the same room.

So, it's a dare, is it? Well, I was goofy enough to take such a picture. (It's not a very good shot, though.)

458107525_ToiletSign.JPG.858dec0a184e9edd499de11dbe0c69e8.JPG

Next time Busch, put the sports page up there, like they do at Chili's.

shepp,

I agree--good for Busch giving free admissions to military families, but boo for the "bad show." I had no problem with the military music coming from the military-family welcome center at the park's entrance, but playing it on the bridge between Oktoberfest and San Marco was a bit much.

I posted something about this on Theme Park Insider earlier this year, and it generated a fairly interesting discussion (heck, I even got my name in the Newport News Daily Press because of that post).

Chuck

Again, I can understand where you are coming from referring to the music and pre-shows; you are at an amusement park and you want to escape "real world" problems. But you have to remember where BGW is, Hampton Roads home of 13! military installations, by far the biggest concentration of military anywhere in America. I really can't give an unbiased opinion since it affects me so much so I guess it would be pointless to say "It doesn't bother me. "

Also, BGW isn't supposed to be an exact replica of Europe, just a glimpse. They don't have the money like a Disney to get it perfect. And to be honest Epcot doesn't do it that well either; and their areas are smaller ( just more countries). The park is a homage to the people of those countries that contributed to America, as is BGT.

BTW, why did cfc get written about in the Daily Press?

^The husband of one of my co-workers is an editor at the Daily Press, and she told him about the over-the-urinal signs. So, he sent a reporter over to the park to talk to guests about the signs and the extra-patriotic theming (most seemed OK with it, but a few were annoyed). They quoted my TPI posting, but I did miss being interviewed (I was out of town).

Chuck "Seizing every bit of tawdry glory" Campbell

I think I like BGW better but it is hard to judge when I have been there over 50 times and have grown bored of the place because of their inability to build new rides. In comparison I have only been to BGT once and enjoyed it very much. Kumba is my favorite looping coaster at any park. It is still hard to beat BGW's natural setting. Both parks are great and are a nice change to other chain parks.

Again, I can understand where you are coming from referring to the music and pre-shows; you are at an amusement park and you want to escape "real world" problems. But you have to remember where BGW is, Hampton Roads home of 13! military installations, by far the biggest concentration of military anywhere in America. I really can't give an unbiased opinion since it affects me so much so I guess it would be pointless to say "It doesn't bother me. "

Also, BGW isn't supposed to be an exact replica of Europe, just a glimpse. They don't have the money like a Disney to get it perfect. And to be honest Epcot doesn't do it that well either; and their areas are smaller ( just more countries). The park is a homage to the people of those countries that contributed to America, as is BGT.

Well, there are parts of EPCOT's World Showcase - like the Mexican pavillion - that also seem pretty clunky to me, while others, like Morocco and Norway, seem rather lovely. But as far as I know, in EPCOT the various countries took part in planning the pavilions, and that might be why there's a bit more cultural sensitivity and a bit less of the "Italians sing 'That's Amore' while serving pizza, Ireland is the land of twinkly lepreuchauns" vibe.

And no, I have nothing at all against park attractions that address the realities of the world outside. Disney does that well in "The American Adventure" at EPCOT, somewhat more ham-handedly throughout DAK. That's a bit different from subjecting the audience at an Irish step-dancing show to surprise pro-military propaganda, especially as the Republic of Ireland did not join the invasion of Iraq, and Irish Catholics belong to a church directly opposed to Bush's actions. And saying to a guy "Hey, while you're standing there in your pissing before you go buy our made-in-Sri-Lanka souvenir T-shirts, don't forget to only pee out American beer" is - I'm sorry - just plain tacky.

Jesus, aren't B&M from that damn neutral Switzerland??? I ain't never gonna ride Alpengeist again!