TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Comedian?

Luxo

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've last posted, I saw Will Ferrell (along with Nick Swardson and a couple of others) at a big show on the OSU campus. I've also seen Jimmy Fallon and Daniel Tosh here, the latter who I had my photo taken with. I loved seeing Fallon, not only is he replacing Conan on NBC's Late Night, but for his "Barry Gibb Talk Show" and "Z105" bits from SNL.

Honestly, there's very few comedians that I have a real dislike of. There's some that get on my nerves, because they stick to the same stuff too much, and/or get too political.

I saw Colbert on CBS' Early Show this morning, and he was a true riot, plugging his upcoming Christmas special. When the CBS hosts said that Colbert is funny just looking at him without the sound, I think they said it all about him.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorites that I've seen live are Kathy Griffin and Denis Leary. Dane Cook used to be funny but I'm not really into him these days.

As for TV, I never miss Late Night with Conan O'Brien. And I also love Joel McHale on The Soup.

• 4 months later...

In an article from my favorite poker magazine, Bluff:

At a recent comedy show in Las Vegas, Eric Lindgren and a few friends got up and left ten minutes into Dane Cook's headlining set. Despite the size of the theater, their exit didn't go unnoticed by Cook, who, from the stage, asked them, " Where the hell are you going?"

"We're leaving because the show sucks, and you're not funny," quipped Lindgren in reply. "Just walk out that door to the unemployment line," was Cook's retaliation.

"You know what? I am unemployed, have been for a long time, and make more money than you do. If I had my own Showtime special, then I might even be funny too!" was Lindgren's closing zinger on his way out the door.

Eric Lindgren is one of the best, and most successful poker players in the world. While I was a big fan of his prior to this story, he is now my favorite player ever.

I'm preferential to Stephen Lynch and Lisa Lampanelli. I also tend to enjoy the guys from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, but after awhile their gimmicks start to drag on me.

Then there's the usual Colbert and Stewart, I can't live without political comedy (especially in such close proximity to DC).

Anyone see Ron White's new special on Comedy Central that aired this past weekend? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but from what I understand its worth the hour or so.

I just saw him live last month and it was the funniest show I have ever seen. You can't compare those two. They have two different styles of comedy. Jeff Dunham can get away with a lot more since people seem to get caught up in his characters and forget he is really the one talking.

I just saw him live last month and it was the funniest show I have ever seen. You can't compare those two. They have two different styles of comedy. Jeff Dunham can get away with a lot more since people seem to get caught up in his characters and forget he is really the one talking.

Popularity has a way of screwing over Comedians

My current favorite comedian is Demitri Martin.

Just watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiFrfeJ8dKM&feature=channel_page

"Batteries are the most dramatic of all objects, they don't just stop working...they DIE."

"I wanna design a video game that takes care of all the people that got shot in all the other games. Hey man whatcha playing, SUPER BUSY HOSPITAL, I need my concentration I'm working on a patient that got shot in the head 57x."

"My washing machine is sneaky, I put the clothes and detergent in and turn it on and it starts churning and making all this noise, then I open the lid to see whats going on and (silence.)"

• 1 month later...

I'm all about the old classic, influential comedians; Richard Prior, Bill Cosby, and George Carlin. Guys like Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, and Eddie Murphy are pretty good too.

Nothing, though, will ever touch the early years of George Carlin. "I got into an argument this morning with my Rice Krispies. I distinctly heard 'snap, crackle, fu*ck him'."

" 'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?" His play on words and language is fascinating.

Hey hey hey, fudge is not fu*ck. Stupid editor...

"'In the unexpected event'... This is a very suspect phrase, especially coming as it does from an industry that is willing to lie about arrival and departure times. '...of a sudden change in cabin pressure.' ...ROOF FLIES OFF!!!!!"

Besides the airline announcement segment, I also love his "Soft Language", "Things We Have in Common" and "Ten Commandments" segments.

Those are great skits. I especially love his take on religion.

"When it comes to BULLSHIT...BIG-TIME, MAJOR LEAGUE BULLSHIT... you have to stand IN AWE, IN AWE of the all time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it, religion has actually convinced people that there's an INVISIBLE MAN...LIVING IN THE SKY...who watches every thing you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time...BUT HE LOVES YOU!"

One of my all time favorite comedy skits is the Baseball vs Football skit. "Baseball is played in a park... the baseball park! Football is played on grid iron in a stadium, War Memorial Stadium."

And finally, probably the best quote of all:

" In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! - I hope I'll be safe at home!"

Yeah, if you couldn't tell, I absolutely love Carlin.