TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Type of Rollercoaster Has the Most Airtime?

I'm dying to say 'El Toro' like everyone else, but I think im going to go with Wild One at SFA. I was surprised to find that riding it in the back gives you more prolonged and more "comfortable" airtime than El Toro ever does. Plus the small PTC bars don't staple you in like Toro does. It's a very solid and underrated ride in my opinion.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While El Toro is a great ride, I'm going to go with Shivering Timbers. El Toro had the most intense airtime, but Shivering Timbers seemed to deliver the most. From the first drop to the final helix, I spent little time in my seat. I'm sure one reason Shivering Timbers beats El Toro is because of the lap bar like RollingRunner said. The PTC trains just don't staple you in like Intamin's trains do, although Intamin's trains are still comfortable.

Although, front row on Cyclone at Lakeside in Denver has the single most intense airtime moment I've experienced which happened on the first drop.

Wooden coasters with at least a single-position lap bar/buzz bar.

Extra points (from my perspective) for the following:

--Lap bars that can only lock in one position (don't lower to be near the largest rider)

--No seat belts

Often, these are "classic" wooden coasters and/or ACE Coaster Classics. Personally, I actually like the ACE Coaster Classic designation, but I recognize that many of them aren't that great and many other classic coasters (and modern ones as well) are equally good or better.

Hypercoasters

Honorable mentions:

--All manner of wooden coasters

--Some steel coasters with a single/fixed position lap bar. They can be INTENSE!

I'm loving all the SFNE fanboys!!! Nice to see our region represent! I'd like to take all of you out to ride Kawasemi...so you could be as conflicted as I am. That megalite packs an airtime punch that Supe is lacking. (Though...I think I still prefer S:RoS for its epic size, speed and varied elements.)

Well, wooden coasters like Voyage, El Toro and Colossos have HUGE amounts of airtime. Then there is the steel hypercoasters, like SROS (Bizarro) at SFNE which might be the holder for the 2nd most. Diamondback at Kings Island holds the record with 30 seconds of airtime! SROS at SFA doesn't have comarable airtime as Bizarro

Wooden coasters are pretty much air-time machines (especially the new ones).

However, in terms of steel I'd have to say Maverick, Diamondback, and Magnum are among my favorites.

From the few GCII's that I have ridden I find them riddled with airtime. I also find that the New Style of Intamin Giga Coasters has lots of ejector airtime, and many of the B&M Hypers, especially the first one has allot of airtime (especially in the back row).

Probably Behemoth or Magnum for me.

Magnum back seat over those bunny hills was insane, felt like I would fly out of the train! Behemoth front row is great for long floater, the back get some decent air going down the hills. (Front seat in the pouring rain on Friday was probably the best ride I've had on Behemoth )

El Torro is silly - LOL -

ET is certainly the wooden coaster here in the states with the most amount of extreme ejector air. I can't find a measurement in terms of seconds of air for any Intamin, believing that's a B&M marketing ploy, but Bizzaro (Ros) at SFNE hasn't been beat yet with the relentless ejector air on every hill. There's a reason it's consistently number 1.

Titan at SFOT has one GIANT airtime hill. In the front seat it nearly puts the shirt over your head! It's strong, and sustained for quite a few seconds. I loved the hell out of that ride.

After riding Diamondback again over the weekend, the front seat was quite impressive, as well as the back.

But Voyage...wow.

Are you talking about Thunder Run at SFKK? I also remember it having good airtime, but then I rode it last year and it sucked. But before that it was fun!

The Voyage and El Toro are easily the two top airtime machines that I've been on so far. El Toro in the back going over the hill before the S turns is the single most extreme amount of airtime I've ever experienced. The Voyage and the amount of airtime in the underground hills is just trippy. They both are amazing coasters....

^I'm guessing he meant Colossus at Heide Park. That has airtime. The SFMM coaster only has airtime if you trip and fall getting in/out of the coaster.

And everyone should go to Knoebel's. It is awesome.

dt

I did mean Heide Parks, MM's is painful and scary, they tell you that you CAN'T put your hands up!