TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My Name Is Earl

robbalvey

So when I first heard about this show I was VERY skeptical. First off, I really like Jason Lee and he is probably my favorite of the "Kevin Smith" clan, but I haven't liked ANYTHING he has done outside of a Kevin Smith film. So I wasn't expecting much out of Earl.

We watched the premiere episode and laughed our assess of. And then week after week the show seemed to get better and better. And I even thought "Damn, this is probably the funniest show on TV other than Family Guy right now...."

And then I looked up the show on IMDB and found that the guy that created it was a Producer on Family Guy. Ahh...all makes sense now!

I think I also like it because it's not shot like a "sitcom" and I HATE sitcoms! It's shot like a film "on location" and uses more "real" sets than studio sets. It doesn't "feel" like a sitcom. The parody of 'southerners' is 10x better than anything on King of the Hill, and overall it just seems to have a solid staff of writers.

According to Daily Variety last week it's currently ranked #11 and it deserves it. (Family Guy does really well in it's time slot too, but would do better if it wasn't up against Desperate Housewives.)

Anyway, who else is watching?

--Robb "Earl fan" Alvey

earl.jpg.741c45dbbd2def17225e311a1b9bf61a.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lukewarm to it after the first two, but it's gotten progressively better. I don't make a point to watch it, but when I'm waiting for "The Office" (which is my second favorite sitcom after AD) to come on, I usually end up seeing it and laughing a few times.

When I first heard about the show, I was suprised that it was not on FOX, and I thought it would fail.

I just started to watch the show, and it is very funny. Some parts are not as good as others, but overall it is stupid, funny, and a good show.

I watch it when I can - and my David is a devoted SLAVE to it, meaning he'll watch it or tape it if not there Tues.night and watch later.

Funnier than I ever thought it would be, considering the extra EXTRA low-key promos for it at first.

Never know with TV, hmmm?

~ ~ ~ We now continue with our program... ~ ~ ~

I think what really impressed me about the show, and apparently I'm not the only one, is that I really, really had the lowest expectations for it. I thought for SURE this was going to be total crap and NOT funny at all. I agree with Julie, I wanted to bad to hate it, but I had to give it a chance because I really like Jason Lee.

I think I almost still go into each episode expecting to hate it, but I'm always shocked at how much more and more I'm liking it every week.

--Robb "And Derek is right, it IS almost based on the life of Todd Long!!!" Alvey

And he was excellento in "Almost Famous," too.

The guy 'gets around' quite nicely, when it comes to movies, so it's great to see him on a more regular basis, with something written around his (probable) laid back personality.

Jason Lee is greatness...from skateboarding to Kevin Smith films and now this, he seems to concur everything he puts his hands on. Only drawback to the guy is he's a scientologist, which from southpark we all know is a sick-ass money making scheme.

...back to topic, they also have miss white trash herself, jamie priessly

^Scientologists all seem mean :? But then again according to Trading Spouses, Us Christians all way 700 pounds, have few teeth, and are psycho!!

Anyway, I watched the first couple of episodes of Earl, and laughed, but I didn't really like it, if they get progressively better then I may need to start watching again!!!