TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Post any injuries that landed you in a hospital!

Dainty Aqua

Well this thread was actually inspired by "Wally's bad day". I wanted to share my experience in there but decided to start a separate thread on the abv instead.

My only "memorable" injury occurred when I was abt 5 or 6 yrs old. I was at this water park in my country & there was this water slide for children. I was imitating superman & went head-down. BAD move! Yeah, I know that was plain stupid but I was just a little kid then. :?

Due to the impact, my chin hit the bottom of the pool hard & e skin came off. There were blood all over the water. I was carried to the first aid room of this water park & later to a hospital, where I was given 7 stitches.

It was a terrifying experience for me, given my tender age then.

And even though it had been more than 20 yrs since this incident, the scars on my chin area are still visible, well if you scrutinize hard enough.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had an addient that put me in the hospital, but I have had to stay at the hospital for other people. Examples of this are a few years ago when my grandmouther had a heart attack and earlier this this year (Valentines Day, actualy) when my uncle killed himself. But no, I haven't had an "accident" serious enough to be in the hospital.

I've been fortunate enough to not have to go to the hospital because of an accident, although I was quite seriously ill when I was 17, and had to go to hospital after injuring my knee cycling over the summer. Mind you, I guess that could kinda be classed as an accident: I got off my bike and my knee just buckled, causing me to fall onto the grass and land on a garden gnome. APPARENTLY this was hilarious. Anyway, I then had to get the train back from Wales and cart myself off to my local hospital because I'm terrified of hospitals now and was too scared to go to the ER there. Turns out I'd ripped a tendon of my kneecap. It was a great summer this year.

Just as an anecdote of human stupidity, my ex-boyfriend once got very angry with a friend of his and decided to punch a transit van, requiring seventeen stitches, losing most of the blood in his arm, and losing two knuckles. He now can barely even write with that hand and goes through excruciating pain in winter. He now may require surgery because some bits of bone fragment have come loose. Idiot.

Edited by Louise

^Haha! I remember when you originally posted that!

When I was five, I was running through the hallway of my house and ran into a doorknob. Blood everywhere, skull visible, lots of kicking and screaming, 10 stitches. That was fun.

I had to go to the doctor when I had my car accident, but opted not to go to the hospital (had lots of cuts and possible broken bones, unofficially had none though).

S4010016.thumb.JPG.ee6010aff518abf2ed9cd614b9b87a4c.JPG

When I was 10, In one of my hockey games I was skating down the ice when some kid sort of knocked me and I lost balance and as I was trying to catch my balance my skate caught on the ice and I ended up braking my leg amd it also was a spiral fracture. That was the worst 12 hours I have ever spent in a damn hospital without anything to eat or drink.

Wow, where do I begin...

-Got a rare stomach virus when I was 2. Jumped from hospital to hospital for two weeks before someone finally knew what was wrong with me.

-Fell off high chair at 3. My front tooth was knocked out and went through my chin (yes, through).

-Broke my ankle at 9 on a merry-go-round.

-Chipped tooth at 10 from falling head-first into a concrete driveway.

-Hyper-extended my right arm at 11.

-Broke my left ring finger at 19 while playing tackleball (I refuse to call it football ) in the park.

-A collapsed lung for reasons beyond me at 23, and

-Back and shoulder injuries from a car accident at 24.

I'm sure there have been more, as I am very accident-prone. Those are the ones that stand out.

Broke both bones Tibula and Fibula in high school. They didn't clean break. They break was spiral and even more painful. The bastards at the hospital gave me a shot for pain meds and then didn't even give me 5 minutes to SET it AGAINST A CONCRETE wall. Yeah I did the caps locks for effect.

Yeah and I slammed the bottom of my chin on the corner of the dinner table at 5. I think all kids did that. Had 6 stitches.

My son is a walking disaster however. Clumsiest kid on the planet!

Katie, who is hurting from all this typing!

I only had to go to the hospital once for severe stomach pain...which ended up being a kidney stone...ouch! I had a bad bike wreck when I was a kid in which I probably should have went to the hospital, but my parents decided to keep me home for a few days instead. I still have some scars from that.

Hit by car: compound fracture right tibia and fibula (snapped both lower bones in two), broken shoulder requiring two operation to re-construct, wired up for 2.5 months. Two weeks in hospital, 3 months with my leg in a cast.

Karate Fight: middle toe right foot sliced to the bone by sharp toe nails, toe almost broken off by end of fight. One night in hospital to repair.

Have had heaps of other breaks and injuries but they did not require hospitalisation.

Lets see, I stepped on a upsidedown golf tee which went right through my foot and shoe. Then I stepped on a piece of wood with a nail in it, and for what ever reason it flew up and the nail went right through into my knee. Both in the same year and both a couple months apart I belive. But Its been atleast five years since I've been to the hospital.

I've been to the hospital 4 times for the ER.

1. 7 years old: fell off a Power Wheels 3 wheeler, broke right arm at the elbow.

2. 15 years old: riding a friend's bicycle while fishing. Went to go get sodas at the grocery store and when riding back, didn't see someone's nicely landscaped slope down to the railroad tracks lined with railroad ties. Bike went down first step, rear brake didn't work, front brake did. I flew over the bike, landing on the traintracks, bike fell on my head. Required 6 stitches.

3. 16 years old: Skiing with the ski club. Got cut off by some loser trying to show off in front of my girlfriend. I ended up off the course and into a cliff wall. Putting my arms out as brakes wasn't the smartest move, as I broke both my wrists (and managed to have a chunk of the cliff wall pierce my double lensed ski goggles and plant itself in my forehead.)

4. 24 years old: While attempting to fix the stereo at work, a speaker sitting high on a shelf came crashing down when I pulled on the wire too fast. Speaker ended up on my head and I got to walk upstairs to the ER for 4 staples.

I also visited the Outpatient Oncology Unit 3 times a week for 3 months straight for treatment back in 2000. And now I visit the hospital 5 times a week for about 80 hours total, but I call that "Work"

When I was 2 years old, I stepped on a rake and it hit my head with the "claws" up. I got stitches and a scar on my eyebrow (which is barely visible )

EDIT: Upon further inspection with my mom, I have the story wrong. I stepped on a hoe, and fell on it and the side of the hoe hit my head. No rake involved.

When I was four, I was leaning back in my chair at the dinner table while eating with a fork. I fell backward, and stabbed myself in the upper-lip. 5 stitches. I still have the scar.

My arms used to pull our of socket while playing ring-around-the-rosie with my sister. (This happened until I was about 5.) ER visits all the time!

Bike accidents galore! I have a fake knee, gravel under my scalp, and a piece of metal shrapnal in my right middle finger.

I was electricuted once by sticking wires into a electical socket, taped to a battery. My theory (at age 6) was to recharge the battery.

As a photo developer, I got electro-burns by a disposible camera while disassembling it, while it was charged for a flash. (There are now instructions on the net to make a stun gun out of this! it's VERY painful!)

Sister flipped me head first into a marble floor. No blood, but was kept for 2 days for observation.

Gee, I could keep going on. I should write a book.

Only a few comes to mind, but not major accidents...tho my right hand has had a lot of accidents:

Age 5, Swinging on top railing on porch, lost grip..slip and hit my bottom lip on the bottom railing. 3 stiches...still have bump on bottom lip.

Age 13, I was cooking alot of sausages for the household...there was alot of grease in the pot...while cooking, my little sister came behing me, scared me....I jump and in the process, my elbow hit the pot handle sending the sausages to the floor but the hot grease all over my right hand...2nd degree burns...painfull sleep for 3 weeks.

Age 16, an idiot in my weilding class was swinging a grinder by the cord while it was on. I told him to stop...he didn't listen...bam..got scraped on the right hand, down to the bone..could see tendons move when i wiggled a finger...lots of blood...10 stiches.

Age 16, One time in RHVC class, the teach told me to go into the cupboard and get a exstention cord....I go in and being impatient, I started to pull this green ext. cord off a shelve not noticing the drill on top of it...pulled cord...drill fell on my right hand. The tip of the drill nocked off one of my finger nails...plenty blood....bandaged hand for about 2-3 weeks.

Age 17, In 11th grade, I was weilding metal in my booth...and my pants had been cuffed because they were too long (thats not allowed in class/ saftey reasons..) but I figured what the hey, so I kept weilding...after i was done..I started walking toward my teach when I felt my foot getting hotter and hotter by the second..I looked down and my boot was smokin...my teach hurried and started to smack my boot to put out the sparks...what happened was when I was weilding..a spark popped in my pants cuff, buring a hole in it and then falling into my boot, burning my sock and foot.......1st degree burns...1 weekof painful walking.

Age 17, Riding bike down steep hill, hit bump at bottom and ran into a pole....fell awkward because my "happy place" got pinched between the handle bars and the pole......nice cut "down there"...hurt like hell...2 stitches...1 week of wearing bandage...had to walk funny so "it" wouldn't rub against my leg...super painful when it did. No scar. Thank the lord.

Age 18, Last but not lease...12th grade...I was looking for a piece of metal in weildiong class. Some pieces of metal were painted colors. The one I happen to have my eye on was painted red...or so I thought...I wasen't really paying attention when I picked it up..come to find out someone just used the torch on it and forgot to put it in the water bucket to cool down...I picked it up and it burn my fingers...it was so hot that i had a hard time for a few secs getting my middle and ring finger off the hot ass metal....2 degree burns..Unbelieveable pain for..I can't remeber how long..it seem to hurt forever...rapped in bandages....

Countless times of my arms popping out of their sockets....few hospital visits for that.

thats all I can think of right now.