TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ferrari World Discussion Thread

Looks so bland, needs some theming or a least a few Trees out there

The coaster is in one of the harshest environments in the world, and this guy wants trees.

In all seriousness, I agree anything other than a concrete slab out there would look nice, but it would be a nightmare to either keep alive or keep looking fresh hence both exterior coasters being painted white.

Hey Dave, just wanted to say thanks again for shooting the footage of the ride. It's one that I probably won't get to ride any time soon, so I really appreciate you managing to get the POV and off-ride shots for us to pore over.

Did anyone else notice how the magnetic brakes dropped down into the track at the end of the ride? Im guessing its to control the speed of the train on the brake run. Either way its a very cool idea, I have never seen that before.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't almost all other Intamin coasters have brakes that drop down on the final brake run. Granted some of them are a different style of brake, but they still retract once the train has been slowed down to a specific speed.

Did anyone else notice how the magnetic brakes dropped down into the track at the end of the ride? Im guessing its to control the speed of the train on the brake run. Either way its a very cool idea, I have never seen that before.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't almost all other Intamin coasters have brakes that drop down on the final brake run. Granted some of them are a different style of brake, but they still retract once the train has been slowed down to a specific speed.

You are correct. Most of Intamin's coasters use magnetic brakes to slow the trains down on a "trim" section before the block section. For example, here on Flying Aces the trim section is that first set of brakes that drop down on a sloped piece of track. The weight of the train alone carries it down and into the transporters that fed into the block portion. On Skyrush the trim section is above Comet's station, and then the train drops down into a two block section.

It's almost on every single Intamin since Millennium Force. Sometimes the two magnets move horizontally so the force of the brake massively decrease (B&M does this too), sometimes the brake fins retract vertically like on the accelerators (Gerstlauer does this too), and then lately the magnets are moving downwards following the side closer to the coming train because this system has the least moving parts and requires the least space and material. You can see that on SkyRush, Flying Aces and the Flying Over Europe at Romon U Park.

You really don't want to put anything out there in 50 plus degree weather, plus the wind picks up the sand starts blowing. whats there is perfect. In the middle of summer riding those coasters is like baking in the pits of hell!

Off topic, thats what worries me about Dubai Gate and some of the other outside parks planned. Having done both Dubai waterparks in the heat of August and the water temp is rather warm to say the least and not that refreshing!

None of the other coasters that are outside have any theming either...

...and there is a very good reason for that.

You'll actually find that the larger coasters in the Middle East (including the bigger coasters at the upcoming IMG and DPR theme parks) don't have trees planted close to the structure.

You'll actually find that the larger coasters in the Middle East (including the bigger coasters at the upcoming IMG and DPR theme parks) don't have trees planted close to the structure.

What is the good reason for not planting trees around the coasters?

You mean aside from the fact that all the trees would die and any theming outdoors would be scorched in the sun?

^Yep. No point in investing in things that will get blown over into ride paths because of high winds, ripped apart due to the natural sandblasting in the area or scorched by the heat and direct light of the sun. For all of these reasons, it makes no sense to even both adding theming beyond what you already see.

Fantastic coverage DubaiDave and the POV is really neat too! Thanks very much for your efforts to keep us informed all over the world. I love the look and style of Flying Aces and if I ever find myself in that area of the world you better believe I'll be in line to ride it!

This. Skip to the 4:30 mark for the real fun -