TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ferrari World Discussion Thread

This is getting interesting. 3 coasters seem to be going for the same record in the next 2 years. All from different companies.

Macks coaster at Lewa World in China is set to have at least a 50m loop. Opening end of this year.

Premier's launched coaster at Wanda Hefei also in China is set to have a 55m tall loop opening end of 2016.

All 3 sound like good rides too.

It's like Leviathan/Kingda Ka- World's longest brake run; Desparado- World's fastest air gate; Chiapas-World's fastest switch track/transfer track; Dodonpa- World's strongest trim brake etc; Fury 325-world's heaviest lift chain etc. They can't find a selling point so they forced steepest lift hill into it. But you know it's gotta be good when it's an Intamin!

Are we sure it means lift hill and not first drop? Starting Hill might just be a bad translation.

Even then it doesnt make sense unless its 51 degrees beyond vertical.

"world’s steepest steel rollercoaster featuring a starting hill inclined by 51 degrees "

Maybe they just mean the lift is inclined and it's 51 degrees C outside

^ How about 129 degrees? Beyond vertical lift.

Again wouldn't a skyloop count as 180 degrees or something like G-Force? Gutterflowers guess makes more sense really

I think we all agree the lift steepness record is pretty ridiculous.

The loop one is more interesting, though. It's cool how we had a coaster hold that record for 13 years and now all these gradually taller ones are coming.

^ Was that Dominator or Superman: Krypton Coaster?

It was Superman: Krypton Coaster.

Superman: Krypton Coaster is a Bolliger & Mabillard Floorless Coaster at the Six Flags Fiesta Texas amusement park in San Antonio, Texas, USA. Opened in 2000, Superman: Krypton Coaster was one of the first floorless roller coasters in the world. The well-received ride held the title for the world's tallest vertical loop (145 feet) from its opening until 2013.
Source.

Dominator is notable for having the fourth-tallest vertical loop in the world at 135 ft (41 m). Only three are larger: Superman: Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas has a 145 ft (44 m) loop, Viper at Six Flags Magic Mountain has a 144 ft (44 m) loop and Full Throttle, also at Magic Mountain, has a 160 ft (49 m) loop. It is also the world's longest floorless coaster at 4,210 feet (1,280 m).
Source.

• 2 months later...
Looks fantastic so far! My only question is, why all white paint again like Formula Rossa?

I'd imagine it really comes down to cost more than anything. Being in a desert climate, any other color would rapidly fade with the relentless sunlight/dust storms etc and add a considerable amount of maintenance if they want it to look good.

Looks fantastic so far! My only question is, why all white paint again like Formula Rossa?

I'd imagine it really comes down to cost more than anything. Being in a desert climate, any other color would rapidly fade with the relentless sunlight/dust storms etc and add a considerable amount of maintenance if they want it to look good.

Ahh, that's what I thought. If Tatsu over in California looks bad, anything with a decent paint job in the UAE's heat would fade very quickly

Intamin is just fantastic. As for the white paint again, I think you hit the nail on the head it would fade within a year if colored. In the right environment I think all white or all black coasters can look appealing to a certain extent.

This will be a crazy ride. Why can't the U.S. Buy more Intamin.

Because OMGBUYMOARRMC!!!!1!

In all seriousness, Intamin coasters just don't happen to be what US parks are looking for right at this very moment. That could change lickety-split, you never know.

This will be a crazy ride. Why can't the U.S. Buy more Intamin.

Because OMGBUYMOARRMC!!!!1!

In all seriousness, Intamin coasters just don't happen to be what US parks are looking for right at this very moment. That could change lickety-split, you never know.

Definitely what A.J. said...

Going back over the course of my lifetime, I've seen many "shifts" in which coaster manufacturer was in vogue for a period of time. For most of my early years, from the late 70's through the early 90's, Arrow was king of the coasters. They popped up everywhere during that time, and were definitely the go-to manufacturer, despite Vekoma and a few others being installed as well. Then, B&M came along in the early 90's, and really took the industry by storm with all of their unique (at the time) design concepts, and wildly varied ride types. That lasted through the 90's, but then Intamin, despite being around for years, really started releasing their cutting edge technologies, and that seemed to propel them into the driver's seat through most of the 00's. With that cutting edge technology, comes more difficulties and less reliability, so naturally they experienced some fallout from the extensive downtime some of their models experienced over the years. This led to a resurgence of B&M towards the end of the 00's and into the 2000-teens, as they have a reputation (whether deserved, or not) for being more reliable, if not nearly as exciting. Then, of course, RMC came along with NTaG in 2011, and the rest, as they say, is history!

All this to say, I think Intamin will make a comeback in the US in the coming years, and to be clear, they never really stopped building overseas, even when things soured towards them here due to some highly publicized incidents. What's funny, is that through all the years, companies like Premier, and even Vekoma, continued to chug along, in spite of never being the BMOC for a given time. Say what you want about all of the Vekoma clones, but they got no shortage of business out of those models, and virtually anybody who's ever been to an amusement park has ridden one! I love all of the B&M's, and always look forward to their latest coasters, but I am excited to hopefully see Intamin getting more business here locally again, as they do create amazing ride experiences!