TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ferrari World Discussion Thread

^ DubaiDave, I found this video by clicking around on that site, but I thought I'd put it up as a direct link to it.

Official Formula Rossa POV: http://www.ameinfo.com/247118.html

Hmm. This is all the proof I needed that the video posted 2 weeks ago was indeed sped up. Looks to me like a few seconds of intense speed, then a fairly average, quite slow and boring coaster. Not that impressed

Looking at it, it looks like this was early on in the testing process, the rest of the park doesn't look finished (look at the workman when on the brake run, the ground around him is still dirt)

I get the feeling that it will be a lot faster than that on opening day, looking at the aerial footage from a previous video, it is going over those hills a lot faster than in that POV.

^^Remember that it's flying around those turns roughly around 100mph.

The coaster looks great, I don't care too much for the trims anymore because 1)it has a very fast acceleration, 2)it uses lap bars, 3) it doesn't just do one thing and come back. It isn't exactly what I thought it would be (super fast the whole ride), but it still looks like fun.

I don't think trims are a bad thing at all. Roller coasters shouldn't be about what's bigger, better, and faster. The experience is so much more exciting. In some cases, yes they are meant to slow a ride down, but there are coasters where they are part of the ride experience. Maverick, for example. In this case, I like to think of it as a race car slowing down because it's about to take a really sharp turn.

I hear a lot of people complaining about the pov, and I really think people's judgment is misplaced. From what I can see from it, it is still going incredibly fast around the turns and over the hills. And honestly, the larger the hill, the longer it's going to take for a train to get over it, duh. It's not like because it takes so long, the negative g's will be diminished. It's just the nature of larger hills. The "vomit comet" is a perfect example. It is pure weightlessness, but it takes several minutes to achieve a single hill. People always complain that coasters don't have enough airtime, well here you go. This is what more airtime looks like.

[Not to mention when there are people in the train, the trims will be a lot less effective, meaning a faster ride all around.]

I'm sure they're still tweaking the ride. Just like I305 and their later added-on trims, I think this ride might remove some. I can't physically tell if the ride has serious airtime or very heavy of forces just by looking at a fixed camera POV, but I know at least one or two hills on the ride probably has a good amount of airtime.

I can confirm that it is a lot faster than it seems in the pov. There is quite a bit of aiirtime over all the hills including the last two at the end. At no point does it feel slow when riding. Don't forget as well it comes extremely close to the ground in places so this make it seem even faster.

This is one coaster that you can't really complain about unless you have ridden it. I realize that most people on here are experts and don't actually need to ride a coaster to pass judgment on it.

It is the best coaster I have ever ridden.

Dubaidave

^ DubaiDave, I found this video by clicking around on that site, but I thought I'd put it up as a direct link to it.

Hmm. This is all the proof I needed that the video posted 2 weeks ago was indeed sped up. Looks to me like a few seconds of intense speed, then a fairly average, quite slow and boring coaster. Not that impressed

Yeah, because this POV is exactly how the ride runs probably a month or more later and your judgement is completely, 100% correct.

Oh lord.

Thanks for sharing. The layout does look similar to the other coaster while I agree with pj that the POV does lead me to think too that the original launch video was sped up with the rest of the ride looking like the back half of MF, or average at best. Don't get me wrong, the ride looks like a lot of fun, but after reaching 149 MPH there is enough momentum to carry the train over a 450 foot hill, while FR only has a 170 foot hill, so the trims have to significantly reduce the speed of the trains.

Using the video as a timer, the ride duration is 75 seconds, the track length is 6,561 feet long, so the average speed less than 70 MPH, which I find disapointing.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but can any of the "experts" that are able to gauge the speed let me know how you do it? I don't have a lot of experience measuring the speed of coasters traveling at such speeds.

What Larry said.

And once again, a big thanks to Dave (who has actually ridden it) for his review and coverage of the coaster.

In my opinion, from what I've seen, it looks like both Intamin and Ferrari accomplished EXACTLY what they set out to do with this ride. It seems like a pretty good representation of what it'd feel like to be behind the wheel of an F1 race car, with a fair amount of typical "coasterness" thrown in to pacify the GP. For those who'd still like to point out that you launch into trims, take a POV ride around an F1 circuit (racetrack). You just might notice some similarities in quick acceleration immediately into deceleration.

If you're not familiar with F1 cars, here's some interesting tidbits from Wikipedia:

Every F1 car on the grid is capable of going from 0 to 160 km/h (100 mph) and back to 0 in less than five seconds.
The carbon brakes in combination with tyre technology and the cars aerodynamics produce truly remarkable braking forces. The deceleration force under braking is usually 4 g (39 m/s²), and can be as high as 5-6 g when braking from extreme speeds, for instance at the Gilles Villeneuve circuit or at Indianapolis. In 2007, Martin Brundle, a former Grand Prix driver, tested the Williams Toyota FW29 Formula 1 car, and stated that under heavy braking he felt like his lungs were hitting the inside of his ribcage, forcing him to exhale involuntarily.

Similar to Formula Rossa's launch, no? Hell, if it were me, there'd be no hills on this thing at all.

Scott "Of course, I'm still wrong though" B.

Here's what I'm not impressed with - your posts.

I would never judge a ride by its POV. A video has too many variables that can affect a persons perception that you can never give an assessment of a ride from a video. For example, how wide the lens angle is, and where the focal point is, can greatly affect how 'fast' the coaster looks. Looking at the POV, it doesn't look like 240 km/h to me, but when I ride the ride it will be 240 km/h, and i'm sure it will seem like it!

I can't wait to someday get out to Dubai, meet DubaiDave, and ride Formula Rossa!

Edited by jray21

I would never judge a ride by its POV. A video has too many variables that can affect perception that you can never give an assessment of a ride form a video. For example, how wide the lens angle is, and where the focal point is, can greatly affect how 'fast' the coaster looks. Looking at the POV, it doesn't look like 240km/h to me, but when I ride the ride it will be 240km/h, and it will seem like it!

I can't wait to someday get out to Dubai, meet DubaiDave, and ride Formula Rossa!

There are a lot of rides that I have personally shot a POV for and thought "That video doesn't do the ride justice at ALL." This is exactly one of the reasons why whenever we do a POV video for our RAW DVDs, we combine it (whenever possible) with front seat POV, back seat POV, rider cams, off-ride shots, etc. The front seat POVs can often be very misleading and a ride, for example, like Balder, looks very unimpressive from a POV, but watching the rider shots of everyone getting ejector airtime tells a very different story.

--Robb

With apologies for being the geography nazi, Dubai is one of seven emirates that make up the UAE; the other six are Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain, Ras al-Khaimah, and Fujarah. None of them are particularly large, but having said that you wouldn't travel to Nevada to visit a park in California would you?

I was out there a few weeks ago, and tried to ride all the operational coasters. Right now the roster is as follows:

- Abu Dhabi has Ferrari World, Hili Fun City, and a handful of shopping mall credits. I can't comment on those because the three full size ones were all down on my visit.

- Dubai has quite a few credits, though the majority are utter crap. The only real worthwhile one is Spin Gear at Sega Republic, which is really good. The coaster at Stargate is so unspeakably bad that it's not even worth it for CreHos. There's a new ride under construction for the indoor Casper Theme Park which might be worthwhile; time will tell.

- Ras al-Khaimah has Saqr Park, featuring a single powered dragon.

- Sharjah has a handful of shopping mall coasters, the best of which is at Space City.

For what it's worth, if you're in the area, it's well worth taking a short flight to Bahrain for the indoor coaster at Chakazoolu. That ride is truly insane; if I kept a top ten list it'd definitely be in it.

Well the indoor coaster at Chakazoolu is made by PAX, so obviously its going to be insane. Have you seen Robb's video of

Wild Train? (Which coincidently the pov of that doesn't look that good but the offride stuff shows how awesome it is)

Edit: For some pictures of Jungle Storm http://www.rcdb.com/1929.htm?p=0

I fairly certain that Noxegon has ridden more PAX coasters then 99.9% of us.