TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ferrari World Discussion Thread

Dear DubaiDave,

After recovering from watching the BGT coaster POV animation, I just finished watching the test-launch video of the Ferrari World coaster and the resulting torrent of drool has, again, ruined a perfectly good shirt and further horrified my coworkers.

Thanks a bunch.

Sincerely,

Robert

Im in Shock....that looked like something out of a cartoon! does anyone know how long the horizontal launch is compared to TTD or KingdaKa....i would assume a little longer because of the higher speeds, but would like to know...if its the same length or shorter, can we assume a more forceful launch?

Looks fun!! I'm gonna start a pool right now though on how long til the cable breaks? Also, a small side bet on when the first person has a heart attack or loses an eye? Any takers. I love speed, but at what point does it just become about being fast and not enjoyable? Sorry to be a downer, but I'd gladly take a great, themed attraction over that anyday.

^^Well, by listening it seems like the launch will be a little more than 4 seconds, maybe 4.2 seconds. So 149 mph in 4.2 seconds would yield around a 1.6g launch. This is probably for reliability, but it seems like it will be slightly less "intense" than TTD. However, the sheer length of the launch should be pretty blood curdling! Also, by the look of it, it will probably have a system similar to KK rather than TTD, so I'm guessing a pulsed launch.

^Loosing an eye will probably be difficult considering passengers will be required to wear safety goggles. And this ride isn't going to be any more forceful than either of the other stratacoasters, just somewhat faster. The front seat should be quite an experience!

I wish I could come across a picture inside the hydraulic building of this beast!

^^Well, by listening it seems like the launch will be a little more than 4 seconds, maybe 4.2 seconds. So 149 mph in 4.2 seconds would yield around a 1.6g launch. This is probably for reliability, but it seems like it will be slightly less "intense" than TTD. However, the sheer length of the launch should be pretty blood curdling! Also, by the look of it, it will probably have a system similar to KK rather than TTD, so I'm guessing a pulsed launch.

^Loosing an eye will probably be difficult considering passengers will be required to wear safety goggles. And this ride isn't going to be any more forceful than either of the other stratacoasters, just somewhat faster. The front seat should be quite an experience!

I wish I could come across a picture inside the hydraulic building of this beast!

A -sustained- 1.6G launch that last for 4 seconds would be incredible. I'd take that over a more intense launch that last a lot less.

^^It has nothing to do with how the launch feels, it is the fact that it is a different system from TTD. TTD is a single pulse of hydraulic fluid, whereas Kingda Ka is 3 (or 4, never really counted) consecutive bursts of hydraulic fluid. It is much more consistent and reliable (hence fewer rollbacks).

^And yeah, I totally would too!

The Launch is actually more intense then TTD.

TTD = 30mph per sec on average

Ferrari = 35.47mph per sec on average (about equal to Xcelerator and a hint under KK) at 4.2 seconds

or if 0 - 149 in 4.0 like on RCDB, 37.25mph ( more then Xcelerator and KK)

Odd editing on that Official video (in that they have the guy standing there as if it's going to launch then cut to up close footage of the launch....then cutting back to him as if it wasn't really "about to launch" as he was recording)? What a neat sound, I only wish they showed us actual footage of the train going through the entire course (perhaps they don't have the break section working properly or something?)

Anyway, really cool - somehow I imagine the owners/mgt in the part of the world not allowing for weeks/months of downtime once this thing does actually open and goes through some growing pains.

Thanks for both the covert video and the Official one!

If you pause the video at 0:30, you can see the launch car. Is it me or 1. Is there no magnetic Brakes on the sides (all accelerator coasters have them) and 2. I'm not sure if this is always there but there are magnets under the launch car. Is this always like this?

Edit: I just saw the first video and now realize that there are only a few magnetic brakes at the end, and that it is a cable launch.

Edited by TXman308

^ Exactly. What is going on right now with this ride is exactly what *should* have happened at Kings Dominion with i305 two weeks prior to media day, but the reality there was that they only had 48 hours before media day for tweaking and testing. At least they have about 2 weeks at Ferrari World.

--Robb

Now, don't get me wrong here, I think this will be an amazing ride, but... While the videos of the launch are incredibly impressive, I wouldn't expect that they'll necessarily launch it that hard with GP riders aboard. Don't forget the video of Xcelerator launching at 100 mph. Just because it can launch that hard, doesn't mean it will.

Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2b6OaI0BXM