TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ferrari World Discussion Thread

The goggles solve the sand in the eye issue. The speed envelope has been pushed even further so a 500ft coaster should be right around the corner.

^I've never been on an S&S Thrust Air coaster but I heard they were rough......This true?

Edited by DJeXeL

I want to know whow they are going to secure the eyeware eveyone is going to have to ware. If one of those comes off at 149mph I would hate to be the person behind.

It looks like a rubber band attached to goggles. It would squish into the head to stay on. I would assume pre-ride checks would include goggles. You have to be really safe when dealing with large coasters and speed like this.

Just imagine how it would feel if you hit sand that is flying around.

Sandblasted face

it stings! i've gone to the beach during a hurricane and having sand flying at you even at 30-40 something mph hurts !!!

^^^ What in the world were you doing on the beach in a hurricane?!?

That coasters can now reach speeds like that (especially to warrant protective goggles) is incredible! I don't know if/when I'll ever make it to Dubai, but my goodness, does this ride look amazing. Can't wait to hear more about it.

I was fortunate enough to have a tour round the Ferrari World Abu Dhabi site last week and took some photos which you can see in the blog post here:

http://www.blooloop.com/blog/posts/Branded-Attractions-and-Theme-Parks-At-Ferrari-World-Speed-is-the-Thing/165

It is an extraordinary site and apart from the two major coasters, the other rides look really cool too. Though I wasn't permitted any snaps of the interior, there are some pretty neat looking simulators (which I understand from testing are quite an experience) and some interesting dark and 4D rides too.

The major Intamin Coaster (Formula Russo) looks beautiful. Also has the benefit of the Yas island Formula one track next door and the marina so the setting is great too. Hot mind, very hot!

ADMIN EDIT: I just fixed the broken hyperlink. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Edited by jedimaster1227

^^^ Meh, I don't think the point of the ride is about the g-forces. People are going to see it as a coaster with a OMFGSUPERFASTLAUNCH that does other things too. I think that speed is the only advertising factor. The launch is the ride, so to speak. The other stuff is just there.

Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars Lapbars!

Phenomenal!

1. Sandstorms (I've read at least 20 days a year)+Intamin+Highest speed ever. Could be volatile...

2. Other rides look and sound AWESOME! Engine Flume ride? WTF?

3. The last time Intamin Decked out a train with fake racecar equipment...

4. Capacity Expectations? I don't know anything about Abu Dhabi's visitor numbers, but eight passenger cars and glasses...

Anyone else notice the 1.7 Gs? That seems...force less. Move over Millennium Forceless, you have been pushed back a spot!

That could well be acceleration forces felt during the launch.

I just did out the calculations, that would be the correct. A change of 66.603 m/s over 4 seconds is 16.65075m/s^2, which is about 1.697 G.

Technical nerdiness aside, I'm very interested to see how this ride will perform, I have a feeling the sand problem may affect the launch mechanics a bit, but I'm not a ride engineer (yet!), they much more than likely already have that sorted out. If it turns out to be a success, I'm definitely getting out to Abu Dhabi somtime!

^^ Well, for one, I doubt anyone in their right mind would run a roller coaster when their is a possibility of people getting hurt. If their are conditions considered unsafe for the ride to operate, then it won't. The last thing a park would want to deal with is a lawsuit because someone got hurt by sand slamming into to them. (Would it really do that much damage? Iono) I would imagine the sand w/ winds would do damage to the track/trains too, Wearing them down and stuff. This is a tricky one, I'll tell you. I'm interested in seeing how it will operate period.

I wonder how those goggles will be like after months of use with all the sand blasting into them. What kind of material would they be?

Blurry goggles would be a big turnoff imo and could greatly reduce the attractivness of the ride.

But then again it's Ferrari so they can afford to buy new goggles anytime.

The ride looks amazing, and how fast it goes is purely indescribable from what I've heard. I have just one question, I've been to Dubai in the U.A.E. and there was practically nobody walking around outside like it looked like there would be. It seems the U.A.E. is supposed to hold a lot of people, but from how much it costs to fly there, will there be a lot of people?

I wonder how those goggles will be like after months of use with all the sand blasting into them. What kind of material would they be?

Blurry goggles would be a big turnoff imo and could greatly reduce the attractivness of the ride.

But then again it's Ferrari so they can afford to buy new goggles anytime.

They look to be some kind of unobstructive work goggle, so my bed is its a hard acrylic that the sand will do very little to, but like you said, its Ferrari, they can buy as many goggles as they need.

Hell, goggles might improve a ride like Kingda Ka (keep your eyes from getting plastered shut on the launch).

I like the idea of a mostly indoor park with a massive ride the launches outside. As for the restraints, the concept art shows some sort of over-the-shoulder "straps," too (which aren't on the actual ride vehicle pictured).