TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ferrari World Discussion Thread

I don't understand why they chose to use a design that uses a lot more cable and puts a lot more stress on the lift hill, when the cable return can be under the lift like most cable lifts.

I don't disagree at all. Not to mention that, the more "turns" that a steel cable makes, there is also a lot more wear and tear put on the cable itself.

To answer your question, though, I believe that there is a service road (access to the receiving area and parking underneath the park) and fire access that still needs to run underneath the lift. In fact, on Google Earth, the original access road is still marked running under the new lift hill.

Yeah, the cable for the cable lift seems to go down to the motor room as usual, but instead of going straight back to the start of the lift (red arrows), it goes up again in order to go over the road.

coaster.thumb.jpg.2b4bd305fab3f30ba19ecbedad9e306d.jpg

Still the same pic from dubaidave

Is there a safety reason why they couldn't have run a cable-return trench (i.e. Intimidator) underneath the existing road?

That's a good question. With all the money they're spending on the coasters, they really couldn't have cut into the service roads and have the cable return underground? For me it's not even a cosmetic thing, those angles along the cable path underneath the lift just seem like they'd be screaming "maintenance pain in the ass."

The only thing I could think of safety wise is it might have to do with being able to inspect and access the portion of cable that would be underground. Still, I think they could have figured something out.

I was not aware that Intimidator's cable went underground, so thanks for sharing the knowledge.

It does have a big cylinder at the bottom of the drop:

But a cable lift, just as everything that involve a cable (-> hydraulic launches), needs to form a closed loop in order to have a proper tension. In this picture you can see the return mechanism:

The red pulley is on a rolling trolley and have a cylinder attached to it. This is what gives the tension to the cable. I don't know if it's dynamic or static, but on some coasters you can see it dampen whenever a train catches the lift (a chain lift needs tension as well, so you have similar mechanisms: Usually a counterweight on B&M, and a spring on Vekoma for instance).

The white pulley deviates the cable and sends it into the trench, back to the motor room.

(Both pictures from this trip-report.)

^Thanks for those pics. Interesting how I305's cable looks a bit thinner than I thought it would. It also appears to make a rather sharp angle on the white wheel so I wonder if that really would be an issue on the new ride.

It does have a big cylinder at the bottom of the drop:

But a cable lift, just as everything that involve a cable (-> hydraulic launches), needs to form a closed loop in order to have a proper tension. In this picture you can see the return mechanism:

The red pulley is on a rolling trolley and have a cylinder attached to it. This is what gives the tension to the cable. I don't know if it's dynamic or static, but on some coasters you can see it dampen whenever a train catches the lift (a chain lift needs tension as well, so you have similar mechanisms: Usually a counterweight on B&M, and a spring on Vekoma for instance).

The white pulley deviates the cable and sends it into the trench, back to the motor room.

(Both pictures from this trip-report.)

Yea, I was thinking about it overnight and I remembered the penny pit.

Ferrari world have confirmed that there will be no name change in English. However they will have to adapt it a bit to make sense in Arabic.

Bellow is a fact sheet they sent me.

Factsheet for Flying Aces

About Flying Aces

• The first plane themed roller coaster, Flying Aces, is set to break two new world records; world’s tallest loop at 52 meters (170ft), and steepest incline starting hill lift (51 degree).

• Flying Aces takes guests to speeds reaching 120kmph along a 1.5km track that mimics an actual bi-plane movement.

• Transcending guests back to the 1900’s, Flying Aces is the first ride inspired by Ferrari’s rich history as its storyline is based on its legendary Prancing Horse emblem.

• The architectural masterpiece offers extreme gravity defying flight acrobatics that include a non-inverted loop, down flips and plenty of airtime moments.

• The roller coaster is the first of five major rides and attractions to be launched as part of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi’s three-year massive expansion embarked in 2014.

• The ride can accommodate up to 28 guests at a time and lasts approximately 135 seconds.

Construction and Design

• This outstanding ride was designed and manufactured by Intamin Amusement Rides, the renowned creators of exceptional amusement rides, one of which is the world’s fastest rollercoaster, Formula Rossa.

• The 63 meter high lift is supported by two columns only, which is considered a roller coaster breakthrough in terms of architecture and engineering. With this unique design, the top of the lift looks like a huge free hanging arch, which was made possible by the merged experiences and know-how of the ride manufacturing team and consultants.

• More than 1.5 million man-hours went into construction of this masterpiece using innovative technologies and engineering methods.

• The ride consists of 165 tracks and 200 columns (over 1,400 tons of steel).

Theme and History

• Flying Aces is inspired by Italy’s ‘ace of aces’ Count Francesco Baracca, a famous Italian aviator of the 1900’s who painted the Prancing Horse emblem, Cavallino logo, on his bi-plane during World War I.

• Baracca’s mother was a big fan of Enzo Ferrari when he had begun his racing career, reporting many triumphs. She later asked Enzo to put her son’s logo on his car to bring him good luck, just like it did for her son.

• The queue line includes a hangar building, barracks, warehouse and radio room, where guests enter to learn about Ferrari logo’s history and be briefed ahead of the ride.

5 - ????

500ft tall inverting Aquatrax Although joking aside they do seem to have a good relationship with Intamin.... Could they be the first park to get the dome ride theater from IAAPA last year or the ultra tower from this year? Both seen here: http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/Simulators/tabid/110/language/de-DE/Default.aspx

The first plane themed roller coaster, Flying Aces, is set to break two new world records; world’s tallest loop at 52 meters (170ft), and steepest incline starting hill lift (51 degree).

These marketing teams and their superlatives... If they get paid well to do this, I'm switching careers.