TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Paris (DLP) Discussion Thread

p. 54 - Walt Disney Studios Park to become Disney Adventure World!

• 1 month later...

^ Very impressive. When we rode it in 2002 I don't remember half the stuff inside the mountain to be seen. And that was only seven years after it opened! Same soundtrack though, which was wonderful. And I remember some of the made up shots they did to advertise the ride (the ones without track underneath).

Great find! Thanks for sharing it.

Refurbs, refurbs, refurbs...

• Space Mountain
    closed from January 11, 2015
    until July 24, 2015

Videopolis (includes Café Hyperion)
    closed from January 10, 2015
    until July 11, 2015

It's a Small World
    closed from July 27, 2015
    until December 18, 2015

Adventure Isle
    closed from August 31, 2015
    until April 29, 2016

Big Thunder Mountain
    closed from November 2, 2015
    until December 16, 2016

Everything has to look "like new" by 2017, when the park celebrates its 25th anniversary.

source: InsideDLParis

^^^ This is great! Thanks for finding the refurbs. We were wondering what might be closed

when we were there near the end of September. IAsW we won't miss much; not being able

to walk through Adventure Isle will be a bit of a nuisance; riding the new refurb of Space

Mountain will be (we hope) exciting and retro AND smooth; riding Thunder Mtn. before it

goes into refurb will still a great ride, I hope.

Great!

I hope they make Space Mountain rideable again!

We're still hoping for the new trains to make their debut in 2015, but that's not a sure thing at all... This refurb is mostly focused on painting the dome, adding a single-rider queue, working on the process and restoring some special effects, but sadly not so much toward the ride comfort.

About Big Thunder Mountain, rumors has it that we'll receive the new explosion mapping effect that was added in California. In fact, it has been invented for our BTM, they has even been tested out (if you turn around in the Lift C you can see squares holes in the mountain, mean for projectors), but as we had no money, they decided to do it in California instead.

But hopefully that refurb will make this ride more reliable, as it is a nightmare right now. This will include adding a car to each train (as it's the fifth train that causes most of the 101, due to the short dispatching time allowed. So they'll add a car on each trains to compensate the lose of the fifth train), reworking some portions to accommodate the longer trains, and maybe adding another block-zone before the Lift C (=enlarging the turn over the water and adding some meters of flat track).

Peter Pan is also rumored to go under a major refurb in one time or another. Complete change of track, interactive queue, new animatronics and mapping effects, same as those which will be introduced in the US soon.

(All these bits of information thanks to ED92.org)

^ There's a rumor (still) running around, I had heard, that the engine on the train front would be removed, and the trains would then look what they are like in Grizzly Gulch Runaway Mine Trains at Hong Kong Disneyland. I didn't mind riding the attraction that way, but the front engine is such an iconic part of BTM, I just couldn't see them doing this.

So...True? Does anybody know anything yet?

HKDL_GrizzlyGulch07a-2012.jpg.33b6f3b4ae73ea3dd747c2b2baa54a59.jpg

Grizzly Gulch Runaway Mine Trains at HKDL. Less fun this way? No! But it still looks a bit wierd without a front engine.

It would be such a shame to lose the front car on BTM as like you say it is so iconic. Thanks for all the details KingRCT3

On the topic of DLP, when I went Phantom Manor kept stopping with loud announcements apologising for the delay plus the music/effects stopping. Is this normal or was it just having problems? I wasn't sure if it was just so they could load disabled people, but the park was so quiet and it was doing it EVERY time we went on it. It wouldn't have been so bad had the ride just stopped, but it was the announcements, music stopping etc that really ruined it.

^ About PM's stops, that's something that happens quite often sadly, I don't really know why. The Cast Members might uses the e-stop button too much, instead of quielty slowing down the ride. I agree that ruins everything!

As for BTM, that was something envisaged indeed, but WDI said a big NO to that (phew...). That was at a time DLP hadn't money and wanted to find cheap solutions. Now that WDI injected a lot of money to the resort, they'll do something better. The loco is iconic and is part of the storyline, you simply can't throw it off!

DLP-fans will want to read this:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.nl/2015/01/disney-and-more-final-article-all-about.html

A massive update detailing everything that's coming up the next 4 years.

It's super long, so here's a quick summary:

Discoveryland

• Space Mountain (closed until July 2015)
    - outside the building will be repainted + the cannon will be refurbished
    - inside there will be new projectors, but no new theme
    - no new trains either, those are planned for 2017 or 2018
    - no new on-board music is planned, but The Rocketeer will return outside
    - the queue will be modified, and the ride exit will be moved

Nautilus (closed until July 2015)
    - cleanup

Videopolis (closed until July 2015)
    - new Jedi Academy show

Star Tours (closes March 2016, until March 2017)
    - all sorts of new technology (DLP still has the original)
    - new theme based on the new trilogy, which will also debut at the other parks
    - 150 million budget

Frontierland

• Big Thunder Mountain (closes either this month, or in November)
    - to be closed for 13 months, but could temporarily re-open during the holidays
    - trains will get an extra car + station will be modified for this
    - the complete track will be "smoothened out"
    - the turn before the final lifthill will be replaced, so that the entire train is on "flat, straight track" before heading up the lifthill
    - all of the new effects of the new American version will be installed

riverboats (closes alongside Big Thunder Mountain)
    - the lake / river surrounding Big Thunder will drained and cleaned
    - the geysers will return
    - Mark Twain will return

Adventureland

• Adventure Isle (closes August 2015, re-opens April 2016)
    - unknown what will change here

Pirates of the Caribbean (closes January 2017, re-opens July 2017)
    - new effects inspired by the movies
    - Jack Sparrow animatronic

Fantasyland

• Peter Pan's Flight (closes January 2016, re-opens July 2016)
    - complete rebuild of the ride
    - new effects / projection mapping
    - completely new queue, now covered

Walt Disney Studios

• - Studio Tram Tour station will be moved back, making way for a proper Hollywood Boulevard
    - at the back, a HUB plaza that connects the Backlot and Toy Story Playland areas

Animagique (closes February 2016, re-opens July 2016)
    - new show
    - possibly animation-themed

Studio Tram Tour (closes August 2016, re-opens April 2017)
    - three new scenes
    - new set pieces will be flown over from the now-permanently-closed Orlando Tram Tour

Toy Story Mania (new ride, opening late 2017, early 2018)
    - new ride
    - opening late 2017, early 2018

Finally, MagicBands might arrive in 2017.

I was thinking it might be a better time, to head (back) to the resort in... 2018?

By this posted list, there's no definite opening date, at this time, for Toy Story Mania,

and I would like to get a look-see-ride that, having never ridden the ones in the US,

and I still missed the one in TDS ... And all the rest will/might be finished by then, too!

So, after the DLPR visit we're doing this September...will hold back for a revisit,

with revisits to TDLR in the meantime.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Shame that we'll have to wait more for space mountain's trains. I quite like the ride (a lot more than most here). When I ride it near the front I don't find it too rough but hopefully new trains will make it rideable in every seat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it's a shame as the almost the whole area is like that. They're normally quite good at theming canvasses when they're likely to be in somebody's photo. But on the other hand it is good to see work being done. How long will it be like that? Maybe they're having the designs done and will replace the cream canvasses once they have been printed?

Maybe they're hoping that the grey canvasses blend in with the grey sky? I doubt Disney would put up un-themed canvasses on purpose unless the work being done is gonna be quick (still doesn't explain the exposed scaffolding beneath the canvas around Space Mountain, though). What has me more surprised is the lack of actual cover-up around the Nautilus. With Finding Nemo over here at Disneyland, they had the entire site walled off from peering eyes and still kept sort of a theme to it. But in that pic, it looks like they're working on it in plain site, no cover-up whatsoever apart from the obvious, bright-white tent around it.

With Phantom Manor and Dumbo also going under refurbishment, I hope this isn't the same situation over in those sections of the park. If the canvas work is this bad in Discoveryland, I can't imagine how bad it'd look in Frontierland or Fantasyland.

*Speaking of Frontierland, at least their canvas was themed:

Posted March 8th by ThemeParkInvestigator

Edited by StuckInSD

The ride will reopen only in July...

The Silver Spur Steackhouse in Frontierland is also in a major refurb since a few months, and also has those cream canvasses.

But wait, there's more. The NewPort Bay Club, DLP's most iconic hotel (the first major Disney building you see if you come to the resort by road) is under a heavy refurb as well. No cream here tho:

(As seen on Ameworld.net)

It's a very good thing that DLP is moving foreward and dozes these much-needed refurbs. Just avoid going at the park this year... And I heard next year will be worst.

Edited by KingRCT3

Maybe they're hoping that the grey canvasses blend in with the grey sky? I doubt Disney would put up un-themed canvasses on purpose unless the work being done is gonna be quick (still doesn't explain the exposed scaffolding beneath the canvas around Space Mountain, though).

To be fair, isn't this whole resort not actually run by Disney themselves? It's very apparent in how the employees act, so the lack of effort in these canvases doesn't surprise me at all.

Maybe they're hoping that the grey canvasses blend in with the grey sky? I doubt Disney would put up un-themed canvasses on purpose unless the work being done is gonna be quick (still doesn't explain the exposed scaffolding beneath the canvas around Space Mountain, though).

To be fair, isn't this whole resort not actually run by Disney themselves? It's very apparent in how the employees act, so the lack of effort in these canvases doesn't surprise me at all.

True. Given its attendance and popularity in Europe, you'd think they'd hold themselves to higher standards.

Well, themed canvasses or not, it's at least refreshing to see actual work being done. Hopefully the end result will be worth waiting through the atmosphere-breaking walls for.

Well, 2017 is the 25th Anniversary of the Resort, so maybe this is early prep maintenance

for what's ahead, in the next couple of years, before it occurs?

Just a thought on this. And we're visiting there in late September, so it will be interesting

to see what's been finished, and what's still being refurbished.

It's a very good thing that DLP is moving foreward and dozes these much-needed refurbs. Just avoid going at the park this year... And I heard next year will be worst.

Heavy amounts of refurbs are not the only reason to avoid going to Disney Paris there are many other reasons also! The park needs a LOT of work before I will consider going back.

• 5 weeks later...

Scaffolding around the Silver Spur Steakhouse came down... and it's red now.

There's still some more painting left to do though, see the green elements on the columns.

CCjqp_1WIAEkqUG.jpg:orig

As a reminder, how it looked before:

Repaving continues around the Disneyland Hotel...

CDHZXixW8AEhRmJ.jpg:large

CCjWCdLW4AAYzSx.jpg:large

And preparations for Adventureland repaving...

CCoYZ0zWEAA9q9y.jpg:orig

Over at Newport Bay Club...

Both inside and outside, the hotel is slowly but surely being renovated. The roofs, balconies and façades are being replaced by new and more durable materials, in warmer shades than before. The dock is sparkling new, and soon the lighthouse, the hotel’s symbol overlooking Lake Disney, will be too.

CDMklxrXIAAgV_9.jpg:orig

Carpets and wallpaper in the East Wing were all replaced, giving the area a more luxurious aspect. The rooms were given special treatment: new furniture, lighting, flat-screen TVs, bed covers and headboards, windows, curtains, pictures and bathroom appliances. Sylvie Massara has completely redesigned the rooms, as she has done for the other hotels, discretely adding Disney characters in the decor, which is a popular added detail with our guests. The rooms are equipped with new air conditioning and energy saving systems, and the doors have new magnetic RFID locks.

An elegant new design for the reception area will carry through the same tones and nautical motifs as the rooms and corridors. The charming Captain’s Quarters bar will be refurbished and a fresh new boutique will open adjacent to the reception.

And last but not least, two new photos of Villages Nature...

CCtH61aWgAEdni8.jpg:orig

CCtH61dXIAAnoH-.jpg:orig

photos: InsideDLParis, Disneyland Paris, Villages Nature