TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Paris (DLP) Discussion Thread

p. 54 - Walt Disney Studios Park to become Disney Adventure World!

As for the theme, I had no idea they had a Buzz Lightyear attraction. I'm a fan of progress in most cases, but I really liked how Discoveryland was a "different" kind of Tomorrowland.

Along with Buzz Lighyear, you've got Star Tours which isn't designed in the Jules Verne-style of the rest of Discoveryland.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/dec/18/euro-disney-union-staff-bonus

France's largest trade union has demanded that the management of Euro Disney pays its 14,500 staff a bonus, after record attendances at Disneyland Paris and a €1.7bn debt deal are expected to put a sparkle on its finances.

The demand was made by the CFDT, which said "after a record year in terms of attendance at the parks and the success of the company's debt refinancing by The Walt Disney Company, the CFDT demands the payment of an exceptional bonus to the employees. Mobilising everyone is particularly essential in order to influence the wage negotiations which should begin in a few weeks."

If Euro Disney refuses to agree it risks repeating scenes from April when staff marched on strike through the Disneyland Paris theme park calling for a pay increase of at least 4%, compared with the 1.5% on offer. The strike led to the cancellation of the daily parade through its Victorian-themed Main Street.

Euro Disney's staff are known as cast members, due to their role on a themed set. Paying them is one of the company's largest single expenses and came to €557m in the year to the end of September 2011. More recent figures are not yet available.

Celebrations for Euro Disney's 20th anniversary this year boosted attendance by 400,000 to a record 16m, making it Europe's most-visited tourist attraction. Sales increased 2.3% to €1.3bn but Euro Disney made a net loss of €100m, driven by debt financing costs.

The €1.7bn debt on its books was used to fund construction of the resort and has been pushing it into loss ever since its ornate iron gates swung open in 1992. In the past five years alone it has lost a combined €270.6m after tax.

The Walt Disney Company owns 39.8% of Euro Disney's shares with 10% in the hands of Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed and the remainder floated on the Paris Euronext.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.4-traders.com/EURO-DISNEY-67837/news/EURO-DISNEY-Virginie-Calmels-appointed-Chairman-of-the-Supervisory-Board-15762567/

The Supervisory Board (the "Board") of Euro Disney S.C.A., appointed today Mrs. Virginie Calmels as Chairman, replacing Mr. Antoine Jeancourt-Galignani, who has decided to retire from the Board, after 23 years as a board member including 17 years as Chairman.

"First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank Antoine Jeancourt-Galignani for his valuable contribution to the development of Disneyland Paris. Antoine managed his role within the Board with great commitment for Euro Disney and its shareholders. I am very pleased with the appointment of Virginie Calmels as Board chairman and look forward to continuing to work with her", Philippe Gas, CEO of Euro Disney S.A.S. said.

Elected as Board member in 2011, Virginie Calmels is currently Chief Operating Officer of Endemol Group Worldwide and Chairman of Endemol France and Vice-President of the Syndicat des Producteurs et Créateurs d'Emissions de Télévision (independent television producers' union) and Vice-President of the Centre d'Etude et de Prospective Stratégique. She is also a director of Iliad S.A. (Free).

"Above all, I would like to thank the Board members for this demonstration of their trust and support. I intend to continue the outstanding work carried out by the Board and my predecessor Mr. Antoine Jeancourt-Galignani, to whom I would like to extend my sincerest appreciation and gratitude. I am glad to have the opportunity to support Disneyland Paris at this key milestone in its history and development", Virginie Calmels said about her appointment.

The Board's Nomination Committee issued the following statement: "Her strong international, entertainment industry experience and financial background as well as her proven leadership make Virginie Calmels a natural choice for the Board chairmanship and a tremendous asset for the company".

• 1 month later...

Hi a couple week ago on the closures and refurbishment showed the Dumbo the flying elephant ride was close form March 18th-29th 2013 but when I went back on [links removed] last night(14 February 2013) Dumbo the flying elephant was not on showed on the closures and refurbishment that it was closes for 18th-29th 2013 does this mean is now open form 18th-29th 2013. Or have took off the closures and refurbishment list be accident.

www.dlrpmagic.com/calendar/closures-refurbishments/

news.disneylandparis.co.uk/calendar/calendar.xhtml?day=18&month=2&year=2013

• 2 weeks later...

http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/CORP/EN/Neutral/Images/uk-2013-02-28-ratatouille-themed-attraction-announcement.pdf

During the group’s annual shareholder meeting on 28 February, Euro Disney Chairman Philippe Gas announced plans for the continued

development of Disneyland Paris, with the addition of a new attraction based on the hit Disney/Pixar movie Ratatouille.

‘Our new family-focused Ratatouille attraction, which is scheduled to open in 2014, symbolises all of the creativity, innovation and emotion that guests associate with a Disneyland Paris experience,’ Gas said.

Set to open in Walt Disney Studios Park, the attraction is part of the group’s long-term commitment to investing in high-quality guest experiences. That strategy has been fundamental to strengthening the appeal of the multi-day destination, which achieved record-breaking attendance of 16 million visits in 2012.

This unique attraction will take guests into the world of the Oscar-winning Disney/Pixar movie Ratatouille which tells the tale of Remy – a talented young rat who dreams of becoming a renowned French chef. Disney storytelling and state-of-the-art technology will come together in

this romantic, larger-than-life, Parisian experience.

‘By developing this new Ratatouille attraction, we continue to ensure our guests can experience their favourite Disney stories in memorable ways that only Disney can provide,’ Gas said. ‘The theme, which is very français, is a tribute to our capital and the unforgettable characters that make Ratatouille the ideal choice for an attraction that fits perfectly at Disneyland Paris.’

The group also announced the extension of its 20th Anniversary celebrations until 30 September 2013. Guests now have a second chance to enjoy the festivities that include a new twist on the award-winning ‘Disney Dreams!’ spectacular. The unforgettable show will now be enriched with scenes from two much-loved Disney animated classics, The Lion King and Brave. In addition, each performance will become an interactive experience when guests wear Disney Light’Ears.

These magical Mickey ears will change colour in time with the show, making ‘Disney Dreams!’ an even more spectacular experience for the whole family.

I'm glad they're adding more stuff to the Studios. It was seriously lacking a few years ago. I'm also really excited for this ride. I love it when they add completely new franchises. They seem to do some amazing stuff when they have a 'blank canvas' so to speak.

I wonder if they'll ever consider putting in Ratatouille in another park? Obviously the tie in to a French park makes the most sense, but the movie did do a decent amount of money every where else.

I could see them putting Ratatouille in EPCOT. That would make a nice replacement for Illusions of Paris. If they were to bring this sort of ride to any of the other parks (DLR, TDL), I'm speculating they would probably theme it to Marvel.

Well, considering they didn't do Winnie the Pooh in the American parks or Hong Kong, like they did in Tokyo Disneyland, I am not holding my breath about Ratatouille making it to other parks, in the trackless vehicle form.

Then again, you never know with Disney, hmm? And if they don't do the attraction in any of the other parks, it will then certainly turn into one of those "one-of-a-kind rides, found only at"....etc.

• 4 weeks later...
The new restraints for SM:M2 did not fit well on the trains. DLP either now has to leave the trains as they are, or buy completely new ones, and add the sound system to it.

Where are you getting this information from?

Also, where can I find a good SM:M2 pov?

You can't. At least I've never been able to and I've tried it loads and loads of times. Still, if you do you won't be able to see much as it is almost completely dark.

Disney & More posted recent construction photos of Ratatouille,

with the facades on the buildings (show, restaurant, gift) being started on.

Excitement!

687404653_ResizeofratatouilleWDS42.jpg.b241736b75d528c27ce62999181ab7fd.jpg

The overall look with the show building in back.

64124574_ResizeofratatouilleWDS43.jpg.0c4fd029c910e9cb6889820c1b498723.jpg

The main entrance of "Kitchen Kalamity", with those lovely trackless vehicles. (o:

157213946_ResizeofratatouilleWDS46.jpg.41bf2007ba2e35cd84c9e17da1f0b53b.jpg

And the restaurant will be on the left (Gusteau's?), with a gift shop in there (maybe on the right?) as well.

Edited by Nrthwnd

I wonder if they'll ever consider putting in Ratatouille in another park? Obviously the tie in to a French park makes the most sense, but the movie did do a decent amount of money every where else.

I really hope so! I agree with Someotherguyuser that it would make a great replacement for the France video.

^ Well, keep this in mind, and hope that it stays fairly true to the artwork.

And a fountain, too!

ratatouilleWDS13.jpg.9a8ec8e5c7f2c4003f7f190e9f2df586.jpg

This will be awesome even if it looks 1/2 of what this artwork (Thank you Disney) represents.