TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carnivals

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what kind of carnival? Do you mean those crappy little parking lot carnivals that usually have like a Scrambler, Round-Up, Gravitron, Ferris Wheel, Kiddie Coaster and a bunch of games? Or more like a state fair midway?

Personally, I find parking lot carnivals a waste of time. They RARELY ever have any kind of decent coaster, and the flats are all stuff you find at most state fairs or smaller parks.

--Robb

To you, what would a good carnival consist of. You can post the rides you would like, the food, the staff, the games, etc. You can also post the favorite carnival youv'e been to.

The best carnival I've been to is Home Days in my hometown, Garfield Heights, Ohio. They always had the best selection of rides (woohoo, RING OF FIRE!! always used to be one of my favorites) and the best food (Elephant Ears and Euclid Beach Frozen Custard!).

So, my best carnival would consist of those, plus:

Sooper Slide

Hi-Roller (I know this is a flat ride but my brother went on it once and said it ruled; I haven't had the chance)

Scrambler

A good Ferris Wheel (you know, one of the bigger ones with the buckets)

um.... and lots of good nacho stands.

My recent trip to Amsterdam had one such "parking lot carnival" there, altho it was right in the middle of a huge square (Dam Sq.) and in front of the Royal Palace.

And for me, basically, the only thing(s) I will go on at these "groupings" is any cheap cheesy dark ride that may be tagging along. Like the Ghoster Coaster that was there, to ride. Clunky and usually silly, but fun for the moment.

~ ~ ~ ~

But if you want to see a Big Example of such a "carnival," c'mon up and come to Playland, BC where the asphalt is flat and gray and foot-numbing, the ride ops are just as 'guest-friendly' as you'd expect (not), and the assortment of rides? Well, let's just say the wood coaster holds it all together, and w/o it there, the whole thing is just a permanent parking lot extravaganza... with landscaping in movable holders (i.e trees, etc.)

"This Is My Home Theme Park".

The only thing thats ever good anymore at carnys or fairs are the fun houses.. walk throughs or ride throughs!! I wont go near any carny rides anymore specially when one tiny R pin is holding your carny ride car together!!

There was one really interesting fun house ride through called Palace of Tong!! You sat in a rickshaw that took ya thru this evil palace and it was multilevel. Just as you enter into it a loud siren went off and made ya def for the rest of the ride!!

What is an elephant ear? I have seen that labeled on food trailers before.

And what if the carnival had good kept rides and a great selection of them. I have been to many carnivals that have great staff in uniforms, great rides, and they are well kept and not overpriced. And some of these have been parking lot carnivals. Would you ever visit these?

Personally, I've never been a fan of a carnivals. I don't like the pay-per-ride format, and the ride count usually isn't worth buying an all-day ride pass (from personal experience, anyway). And I'm not a fan of the dirt and cheap feel of a traveling carnival, much too chaotic for my tastes. I prefer the clean atmosphere and the controlled (and permanent) layout of a theme park. You get a much better experience for your money.

The bast carnival I ever went to was in the mall parking lot on a Thursday night. My friend and I were literally the only people there, and we got unlimited ride wristbands for only $12 each! We got to ride the Orbiter, 1001 Nachts, and Kamizaze over and over. Unfortunately the Chance Chaos that was there was not open . The carnival also had go-carts and a skyscraper ride, which were $10 extra per person, so I skipped them.

The best carnival I ever went to was the Topsfield Fair in Topsfield, Massachusetts. They had at least 2 of almost every ride. I got free tickets to rides because I know a person that works there. I rode the Zippers four times and Kamikazes 6 times. I used all my free tickets on those rides. Then I bought 70 tickets for 50 bucks and rode After Burner(there was only one) 4 times. Then I went on all four fun houses once. Then I rode random rides once or twice.

^ Is this the hardrock ride you are talking about?

http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/FabbriHardRock.jpg

It looks freakin awesome!

There is a very similar ride called "Experience."

http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pages/experience.html

For some reason, I trust these types of carnival rides more than rides like the Rock-O-Plane or the Scrambler. They just look a lot more sturdy and less likely to fall apart.

Mud. I expect lots of mud when i go to a carnival.

Bad food stalls, where you have to walk thru about 6 inch deep mud to reach.

rides that sink into the mud...

In cleveland, it always rains during carnivals.

Mud...

LMAO

When it rains at my carnival-like (hah) home park - it's just wet asphalt and looks just as crappy to walk on. Then again, one doesn't sink to one's knees, like in Cleveland?

I've been to a really good carnival in connecticut and its huge. The rides are awesome and i dont really look at the ride attendance and i've never heard of people being drunk at them. But anyways my favorite is the Thunderbolt as long as the attendant is awesome other wise the ride sucks.

I have had some really fun experiences with some of my favorite older flatrides at parking lot carnivals - especially at Taft High School.

A few years ago, the carnies were putting us on their Huss Breakdance and Eyerly Spider for ridiculous amounts of time; every time they stopped us to ask if we'd had enough, we'd beg for more... my wife and I are just sick people.