TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How did you get your screen name?

waterviper

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I originally came on to TPR as X, but then I forgot my password and had to make a new account. So I made it as XII and that is how I came up with my screen name.

So there I was at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2007 and I was talking with some folks on Roman Rapids, and one girl says "oh, so you're an enthusiast?" "Yep, I'm a coaster nerd." I replied.

Later that night back at the hotel, I realized that really didn't fit me, because my favorite park ride is the Rapids. I'm not really a coaster nerd, but a Rapids nerd. I'd also embraced my innner nerd long ago, and so the name came to be.

"And now you know....the rest of the story." - Paul Harvey

Taken from my email address. I've never decided if it's pronounced "dee-no", or "die-no". Most people say "dee-no" though, so I guess that's what I'll go with.

Edited by dino

• 1 month later...

I was (and still kinda am) a big fan of SF parks. I've been to about 5 parks that are Six Flags (4 if you get rid of Wild Waves; used to be owned by SF, now owned by PARC) currently, my favorite being SFMM.

However:

1) As you may notice, I spelled 'Enthusiast' wrong and ended up paying the price with my title....

2) I'm beginning to like Cedar Fair parks since I've been to 2 of the best (KBF and CP)

3) I'm beginning to like S&S Space Shot/Turbo Drop rides more.

So my name, at this point, SHOULD be Power Tower Enthusiast.

• 3 weeks later...

Simple, it's in my signature.

I sucked royally at athletics growing up and I also hated being wrong when it came to knowledge of Major League Baseball rules.

When I was around 10 years old, you had to have talent to play on the baseball teams where I lived locally. I didn't have that talent and started umpiring little league games.

Slowly but surely I started taking an interest to working a higher level of baseball.

I went to a local umpire school and became the youngest sports official in the State of Maryland to achieve certification at the age of 12.

I started working high school baseball in 1996 while I was still in high school.

I also umpired at the FIRST Cooperstown Dreams Park tournament in 1996. I was on the right field foul line for the first Home Run derby. My cousin caught the first run derby.

Although he didn't make it far after high school, he was Gavin Floyd's personal choice as a catcher whenever he would audition for scouts prior to being drafted.

By my senior year in high school (1998), I was umpiring varsity games and breaking into college games.

In January 1999, seven months after high school graduation, I attended Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring in Kissimmee Florida. I finished 10th out of 114 students missing the Professional Baseball Umpiring Corporation (PBUC) class by two spots.

PBUC is a combination of the two major umpiring schools students competing for jobs in Minor League Baseball.

I returned home in February 1999 and earned my first NCAA certification and the rest is history.

JEAPUgrad = Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring Graduate.

1581794072_JEAPUwithJE.jpg.21928873b56c24cba397d38175b559c4.jpg

Jim Evans himself (left) signing some items for me (right). There is nothing wrong with your screen, that is one SERIOUS tan line on my head.

Umpsuit.jpg.b284cbd0f6aeff882d9f3e6fb370f99d.jpg

Me (left) with then AA-Texas League Umpire Scott Higgins.

February 6th, 1999

Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring Graduation Banquet.

The story behind my screen name is, you see, there's this computer puzzle game called Sokoban (you may or may not have heard of it) where you have to push objects onto goal tiles. In addition to the original level set there are also tons of user-created level sets and the name "Cantrip" was derived from this one super-hard and awesome level set that I played and completed. It's also one of the most memorable and could be considered a rite of passage . The real definition is a kind of magical spell.

The story behind my screen name is, you see, there's this computer puzzle game called Sokoban (you may or may not have heard of it) where you have to push objects onto goal tiles. In addition to the original level set there are also tons of user-created level sets and the name "Cantrip" was derived from this one super-hard and awesome level set that I played and completed. It's also one of the most memorable and could be considered a rite of passage . The real definition is a kind of magical spell.

Sokoban was the first personal computer game I ever played.

My father introduced me to our first PC August 11, 1988. I know this date because he use to have a picture taped to the bottom of the monitor that was a simple computer design of person's mouth showing only the part of the face around the mouth, the mouth, the lips, and the teeth. The teeth were biting a bullet and the bullet was dated August 11, 1988, the day he brought the computer home.

Not sure how long PCs were out by then but he is a major computer guy )but not in the nerdy way). He worked on computers in the navy and is a programmer for one of the top defense systems companies. This was a really really big deal to him back in the day.