TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^That would HELP, but it would only make the ride BARABLE at best. I mean, was Psyclone not demolished for this exact same reason?

From what I've read Psyclone was damaged pretty bad by the northridge quake.

Probably not the same situation as TG.

^ IIRC, all the Summers & Dinn coasters from the late 80s early 90s suffer from the same problem of getting rougher and ripping themselves apart.

My guess is that SFMM decided that Psyclone cost way too much maintinence wise so they decided to scrap it. The B&M trains were probably causing more wear and tear than SF wanted. Maybe SFOT decided to give TG a full rehab and announce it as an upgraded attraction, like X2, Bizarro, and Monster Mansion.

Keep in mind that Six Flags is in trouble and might not make it through 2009 to do this rehab (http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49150).

I'd say that in it's current state, Texas Giant is a pretty fun ride, but it certainly reminded me more of Son of Beast than any other woodie and its by no means the best coaster in America or whatever SFOT bills it as. Texas Giant has "Disney airtime". Actually, strike that - the airtime on the drop out of the mountain on EE is better than anything on Texas Giant.

If Six Flags files for bankruptcy and the company that picks the parks up doesn't want to spend tons of money repairing the Texas Giant, it'll probably just get torn down like Psyclone did. I don't see it being a top ten coaster even if it was smoothed and the trim brakes were removed - a 137 foot drop at 53 degrees just doesn't cut it in this environment.

Even if Six Flags files for bankruptcy I'd give it a 90% chance that they come back as Six Flags and all of these plans still go through. Its not like Six Flags is going to disappear. They would file for Chapter 11, not Chapter 7 (circuit city filed chapter 7, which = liquidation). Most of the airline companies today have filed chapter 11 at some point and they are still around and doing fine. Chapter 11 has to do w/ restructuring debt and a lot of times operations, but Six Flags operations are doing fine. It is the debt that they inherited from the 90s and early 2000s that is weighing them down.

Keep in mind that Six Flags is in trouble and might not make it through 2009 to do this rehab

SF has been in trouble since Premier bought all those parks in the late-90s, early 2000s. The main reason people are thinking SF my file for bankruptcy is because the company built up so much debt and the economy is in bad shape. They are also in the process of rehabbing two other coasters as well as a dark ride.

I don't see it being a top ten coaster even if it was smoothed and the trim brakes were removed - a 137 foot drop at 53 degrees just doesn't cut it in this environment.
IIRC, this ride WAS a top 10 coaster when it was first built, so smoothing out the layout will probably bring it back up on many enthusiasts lists.

Keep in mind that Six Flags is in trouble and might not make it through 2009 to do this rehab

SF has been in trouble since Premier bought all those parks in the late-90s, early 2000s. The main reason people are thinking SF my file for bankruptcy is because the company built up so much debt and the economy is in bad shape. They are also in the process of rehabbing two other coasters as well as a dark ride.

I don't see it being a top ten coaster even if it was smoothed and the trim brakes were removed - a 137 foot drop at 53 degrees just doesn't cut it in this environment.
IIRC, this ride WAS a top 10 coaster when it was first built, so smoothing out the layout will probably bring it back up on many enthusiasts lists.

^I'm not arguing whether or not the Texas Giant was a prime in its early years, and it WOULD be better if it was smoother, but what I'm saying is, this is 2009, not 1990, and I just don't see it ranking as high as El Toro, Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, or Balder...even if it's as good as new after the rehab. I might be wrong though.

^ Enthusiasts may not rank it as high as El Toro, but who cares? This isn't being done to please enthusiasts. If everyday guess appreciate the effort being put into this classic but aged ride, then that's all that really matters.

^As soon as I heard this news, and all of my posts throughout this thread, my platform has been that it's just not the best decision for the chain to spend a "new ride" amonut of money to restore something that may or may not get it running like it did as a new ride. Personally, when I look at decisions like this, I know decisions aren't made for enthusiasts, I know they aren't made for nostalgia, and to an extent, they're aren't even made for the guests. I have always felt that capital improvement are made to see a return investment. Despite what we may think, and despite what we may think guest think, decisions like this are always made with the company's return investment in mind. not us, nor the guests. In this econmoy and with the chain in the shape it's in, that amount of money could have been better allocated.

^I'm not arguing whether or not the Texas Giant was a prime in its early years, and it WOULD be better if it was smoother, but what I'm saying is, this is 2009, not 1990, and I just don't see it ranking as high as El Toro, Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, or Balder...even if it's as good as new after the rehab. I might be wrong though.

It probably won't be a top ten coaster, but if they can get TG running like it did in 1990, it would probably rank fairly high on the polls.

Some of you also don't understand too is SFOT is not owned by SF corp. There is a group of investor who still own it. Also with all the hoops the park had to do to get the ride I'd say they won't take the ride down. They had to give up some land for the baseball stadium to get Texas Giant built. They almost didn't get it built as the feds. almost said that it was on wet lands.

Dear Jesus,

Thank you for this kind refurbishment of a great woodie. I hope that whatever change comes to Giant doesnt cause it to splinter my ribs anymore than is has already

Amen

Seriously tho, thank God giant is getting some love. I remember when I first rode it it was actually somewhat enjoyable. Over the years tho the aging has become apparent, and the last time I went to SFOT I didnt even get on the damn thing. When I got back to my house tho I watched an onride video on youtube (lol...), and it made me realize how awesome giant would be if only it was smooth...Wish granted...

this news made me a very happy boy

• 5 months later...

At Ace's Lone Star Coasterthon we learned a few tidbits about the future overhaul. They say that it will be only a few weeks before an official press release comes out with most all of the details but what is for sure is that this is not going to be your ordinary coaster track re-working (If the $10million wasn't indication enough .

Here are some of the facts we were told either by the park operations president or an engineer who gave a presentation on coaster design. Obviously they were very vague about specifics and stats.

We were told that new engineering, which involved many new patents, is going to be used in constructing the new track. An engineer with Six Flags said they borrowed technology from B&M's steel coaster design, mainly the square base track design, and have adapted it for woodies. He said it had something to do with allowing them to be much more accurate in bending the wood and creating turns. The Giant will be the first to implement it.

We were told that the coaster will have several wood coaster firsts.

We were told it will be taller, steeper, faster and over 100% smoother.

They said that you will still be able to recognize it as the Texas Giant layout overall, they don't want to deviate too much from the once award winning design.

It will of course feature new trains, they would not confirm or deny if the trains were of a new technology or not.

They stated that it costs over $200k a year to currently maintain the Giant, and this update will cut that down into something much more feasible.

They said one of the main goals is to bring it up to date with the most state of the art modern woodies.

The 50th Anniversary of SFOT, and Six Flags, will be celebrated at every park.

There were a few more things I will post later when I find my notes.

-GG