TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P.. 420: Pirates of Speelunker Cave announced for 2022!

Oh, I understand the video, I was just saying how I'm not sure it applies because it doesn't look like she had that much of a gut. Again, I don't know how it looked when she sat down, but she seemed to carry most of the weight in her upper body which wouldn't inhibit a lap bar. The man in the video had a 56" waist. Her waist doesn't seem to be the problem. Then again, even though we know that the "click" story is just wrong, it does seems to be an indication they did have an issue with getting the bar down?

Oh, I understand the video, I was just saying how I'm not sure it applies because it doesn't look like she had that much of a gut. Again, I don't know how it looked when she sat down, but she seemed to carry most of the weight in her upper body which wouldn't inhibit a lap bar. The man in the video had a 56" waist. Her waist doesn't seem to be the problem. Then again, even though we know that the "clickity clack clucky ducky QUACK" story is just wrong, it does seems to be an indication they did have an issue with getting the bar down?

I don't believe anyone has seen a photo of her that shows her whole body and that we know was recent. She was obviously on the larger side. Although the eye witness accounts aren't 100% accurate they do seem to support that she needed help (i.e. the full weight of a ride attendant) to get the lap bar down far enough, and that she didn't feel safe (i.e. she could feel the bar wasn't touching her thighs like it should). The weight in her upper body, like you see in the video, is exactly what would've caused the problem, all the weight above her waist which is what got in the way. I guess it's possible she might not have even been *that* big, if her belly hung down far enough.

It does make me wonder why this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.

Edited by Dr. M

^^Lets go with that for a very quick moment. If she had a panic attack, even if there was a seatbelt installed the seatbelt could have easily been released, as is on most rides with them, in order to aide in freeing herself. The addition of a seatbelt would not have helped.

Of course seatbelts really don't matter in this case as this restraint system does not need them by design.

^In manual mode, virtually anything is possible, you are correct.

You say it could have "easily" been released, but I've been on plenty of rides where it's not immediately obvious how the belt is released and it takes one or two tries before you get it. In the midst of a panic attack, it's possible she wouldn't have been able to release it, especially with increased pressure on the mechanism from the forces. It's all meaningless speculation anyway. Maybe if she'd felt the seat belt securing her, she wouldn't have panicked in the first place!

You seriously need to let your seat belt crusade go.

There's no way her femurs could have broken. The human femur takes around 160 PSI to break. It just doesn't seem possible. Plus, she has two femurs meaning there has to be a total amount of 320 PSI for both to break simultaneously considering the force is divided equally among the two femurs (it's like lifting a 100 pound object, 100 pounds lifting it yourself, 50 pounds each if you have a buddy.) That, and although called a lap bar, they tend to sit at the waist putting the pressure elsewhere anyways.

I've sort of changed my mind about all this, it seems to be primarily operator error. This video combined with the entrance sign posted above pretty much tells you all you need to know. The bar was touching her belly or bosom, not her thighs, so it didn't come down far enough to properly secure her, and the sign clearly explains that that has to be avoided.

Do we have confirmation that the bar was indeed touching her belly/bosom and not her thighs? If that is the case, then I would be inclined to agree with you.

It looks like it has more to do with the size of her gut compared to the size of her legs. So if her legs were more in proportion to the size of her belly, it might have not happened. Too much speculation though.

I'm surprised to see the ride sign said that the lapbar must touch the thighs. I think that is going to be an important factor in deciding who is to blame.

I've sort of changed my mind about all this, it seems to be primarily operator error. This video combined with the entrance sign posted above pretty much tells you all you need to know. The bar was touching her belly or bosom, not her thighs, so it didn't come down far enough to properly secure her, and the sign clearly explains that that has to be avoided.

Do we have confirmation that the bar was indeed touching her belly/bosom and not her thighs? If that is the case, then I would be inclined to agree with you.

No. The only thing that is confirmed is that the she is dead.

It's all just speculation, but can somebody come up with an alternate scenario that makes sense?

The only reason I'm willing to back down on that is because of just how explicitly the sign indicates how the bar must be in contact with your thighs. If, after this accident, it's determined that the ride must install seat belts, then I'll have been vindicated, because it means the ride should've had them from the beginning, and if it had, this woman may still be alive. I'm not sure why anyone is so dead set against them.

As far as seat belts go, I honestly think that a seat belt wouldn't have helped her in that situation because due to her body shape it may have not been able to be fasten in the first place, thus she would be turned back and not be allowed to ride.

Heck, I'm I small guy and I have trouble with seatbelts sometimes.

a seat belt wouldn't have helped her

she would be turned back and not be allowed to ride.

So, apparently not being able to ride is a less favorable outcome when compared to death.

I must say though, seat belts really add to dispatch times, which in turn result in longer lines. As stated before, they are there for redundancy. Hydraulic restraints already have back-up systems, hence a lot of them have no seat belts.

Edited by V2-dude

The only reason I'm willing to back down on that is because of just how explicitly the sign indicates how the bar must be in contact with your thighs. If, after this accident, it's determined that the ride must install seat belts, then I'll have been vindicated, because it means the ride should've had them from the beginning, and if it had, this woman may still be alive. I'm not sure why anyone is so dead set against them.

OMG, did you seriously just post this? Vindicated? What are we, in middle school?

Study up on how these restraints work and then you will understand a bit more.

If the ride operators can't or won't tell riders when they're not secured properly even though the lap bar is down far enough, and a seat belt could indicate that, then maybe the ride should've had seat belts. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, then avoiding longer dispatch times is a pretty shitty reason for making a ride less safe.

If I'm so ignorant chadster, then why don't you educate me?

Oh good lord, this is why I gave up trying to discuss things with people on online forums. Just throw a link at me that doesn't at all answer the question at hand, then when I point that out, tell me I didn't read it. Go ahead.

Sorry, I forgot to do the rest of the research for you. www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334206

*sigh* The two questions are, 1. could the seat belt have better indicated if she was too big to ride, and 2. would the seat belt have kept her in the seat when the lap bar didn't. Learning about the mechanics of the restraint itself answers neither of these questions.

People forget there's a 1 in approx. 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 or so chance that a seat belt will snap and become useless.

The whole discussion of "if there was a seat belt, she'd probably be alive today" is pointless, and only serves to defend knee jerk reactions that don't accomplish anything besides adding to the stupidity of the world. The only way to guarantee that you won't die on a roller coaster is to never ride one.

People forget there's a 1 in approx. 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 or so chance that a seat belt will snap and become useless.

The whole discussion of "if there was a seat belt, she'd probably be alive today" is pointless, and only serves to defend knee jerk reactions that don't accomplish anything besides adding to the stupidity of the world. The only way to guarantee that you won't die on a roller coaster is to never ride one.

Anything that can add safety to a ride is not a "knee jerk reaction".

If they added a seatbelt for the restraint that was a "one size" seatbelt, it can ensure the harness is low enough to ensure EVERYONE is ALWAYS secure by the restraint. This lady should not have been allowed to ride. If the belt was on here seat it would not have been able to be buckled because the bar was not low enough.

I would be shocked if they did not add belts to the restraint. Not to keep them closed but to ensure they are low enough. If people remove the belt during the ride it mean nothing because the belt already confirmed a safe position of the lap bar.

Edited by Millionaire2K

Who is to say that the seatbelt would not have buckled? I mean, some rides have the extender belt, and her fat could have also absorbed the seatbelt enough to make it buckle.

The reality is the investigation needs to finish to Six Flags can take the proper corrective action. Whatever that might be.