TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P.. 420: Pirates of Speelunker Cave announced for 2022!

I don't know if I'd say Six Flags will keep it hush hush as the article seems to suggest. Incidents like this are so rare, that they capture the nation's attention. Six Flags is going to have to do some damage control and point out "Hey, our ride is safe" because even though that's apparent to us (and many logically thinking people), there are a lot of people right now running around in circle screaming about how airtime is dangerous and roller coasters are "rickety death machines".

I'd fully expect Six Flags to come out and say "We screwed up, she was too large to ride and we didn't catch it, but here's how we're fixing it." Because if they keep it quiet, the only ones releasing findings on the ride are the GP, who think the restraints click, and the ride ops laughed and smiled deviously as this poor woman begged for her life.

Has anyone suggested the possibility that the woman might have panicked during the ride and attempted to free herself from the restraints? I saw a news report years ago where a man panicked on a stalled Ferris Wheel. He actually managed to free himself from the lapbar holding him in and nearly fell to his death before workers could get to him.

^NO

Went to the park yesterday. As expected the attendance was extremely slow even more so for a Saturday. All lines were especially short considering the park has two of its best coasters closed.

Slow? Not calling you out or anything, But when I arrived around 4 I almost couldn't find a parking spot because it was SO BUSY. Even the news reported last night that "due to the fatal accident Friday it didn't stop THOUSANDS of people from visiting today." To give you and idea of how busy it was, I had to park in the very back right by Rangers Ballpark.

Six Flags officials initially said they were “working with authorities” to determine the cause of the fatality. Later, they acknowledged that this is an internal investigation into only the second customer to die on a ride since the park opened in 1961.

I love that Six Flags got caught in a lie. Reminds me of when SFMM denied having an area at their security trailer meant for detaining guests, only to have the local news station put them on blast with a photo of the area.

I don't know if it is worth or important mentioning it but the new Gerstlauer coaster 'Karacho' at Tripsdrill was open today! So, no closed Gerstlauer due to restraints maintenance here in my area.

Lucky, But its the end of the world here in Pennsylvania! SDL has been closed since Friday!

Sad to hear about such a tragic event.

For those going to any Six Flags parks, all rides (save for Texas Giant) are open according to the website. Not sure about other Gerstlauer related rides in other parks. Then again this could change as more comes out.

^NO

Went to the park yesterday. As expected the attendance was extremely slow even more so for a Saturday. All lines were especially short considering the park has two of its best coasters closed.

Slow? Not calling you out or anything, But when I arrived around 4 I almost couldn't find a parking spot because it was SO BUSY. Even the news reported last night that "due to the fatal accident Friday it didn't stop THOUSANDS of people from visiting today." To give you and idea of how busy it was, I had to park in the very back right by Rangers Ballpark.

I wnt for a late trip to the park I walked through the entry at 8:40 at that time the rangers game was still going on but there was not as many cars in the lot.

Seeing the picture of the lady its starting to seem like a case of "she was to big".

I wouldn't be shocked if the lady did ask if her bar was secure enough. Maybe she was on other rides with "clicks" and didn't hear any so she was concerned. Also mix that with a "possible" employee who didn't care or was ignorant about the clicks.

No matter the case this should be considered a design problem. The trains on any coaster should not be allowed to dispatch if all the restraints are not secure "enough to be effective". And if the restraint did lock at a far off position and it allowed her to fly out, then that needs to be fixed. Restraint should only lock at levels where it will remain effective at holding a person in. If the person is to large the restraint should not lock and the train should not be permitted to dispatch. Intiman seems to have gotten this figured out after their accidents.

Adding seatbelts to attach to the restraint to ensure they are low enough makes the most sense.

Also if the seats were smaller (like El Toro) it would also help.

Its a hydraulic restraint, it locks at any position once the operator does the "lap bars locked"

So if it was at 90,10,50 degrees, the bar would lock for the ride.

I thibk its a case of her just slipping out after watching the Superman video.

I wnt for a late trip to the park I walked through the entry at 8:40 at that time the rangers game was still going on but there was not as many cars in the lot.
Well yeah, I'm sure it was slow around that time. Right after I arrived around 4 it starting raining hard, which cleared a large portion of the crowd out. It took me 30 min. just to get out of the parking lot around 6 cause lots of folks were leaving. Also, I have confirmed from sources that yesterday was a "normal" Saturday crowd for SFOT.

Its a hydraulic restraint, it locks at any position once the operator does the "lap bars locked"

I thibk its a case of her just slipping out after watching the Superman video.

This is my point. The restraint was most likely locked to high to be able to keep her in. And it is a judgment call weather a person is secure. The system should not allow the trains to dispatch if they are not low enough. I'm pretty sure most of Intiman's new rides also use the hydraulic type restraints and they have a system in please to know if the restraint is low enough to be effective.

Like Manta At Sea World SD or El Toro at SFGADV.

When it comes to safety and peoples lives the system needs to be failsafe. There needs to be a way for the train to "reject" the body if the restraint will not be effective.

That's simply not true. The lap bars have to be down to a certain position before the train can be dispatched. I saw a woman not be able to ride because she couldn't get her lap bar down far enough, if it could be locked at any position like you claim, then that wouldn't have happened. There are also the lights on the train that only light up when the restraints are down far enough. They can not just run the ride with lap bars in any position.

It has been mentioned several times that the trains use indicator lights when the restraints are down far enough. I'm not sure the system prevents the train from being dispatched if the lights aren't on, though, or if it's just for the operators checking restraints' benefit.

I suppose it could be possible the restraint was down far enough but the lady's body type prevented her from being secured somehow?