TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P.. 420: Pirates of Speelunker Cave announced for 2022!

The ops could stand in the same place and check the seat belts as the seated riders roll by...I think the biggest issue here is with loose articles, though. If people still have to walk across a moving train to get to a bin, that could be a problem. Now if they enforce a policy similar to Rock It in which guests must use lockers prior to entering the queue, that would solve many problems. When I rode NTAG in August, they had a running count of lost loose articles and cell phones (maybe just for the year) up in the two thousands.

**Wow, I didn't know actual word filters existed

That would explain why the control panel had individual buttons for each car to unlock the lap bars.

I think that would be convenient with any coaster in loading situations. I feel like most B&M coasters have buttons to unlock specific rows. I've seen many times on different B&M coasters in which a rider was too big to fit in the seat they chose, so the restraints in that row were unlocked so the rider could board in a different row the next time.

Yet I don't see what was wrong with the loading system when I visited the park, so I don't see the need to implement this procedure.

Edited by The Yeti

I guess I'm used to wooden coasters or some older steel coasters where the only options on a control panel are either the whole train is locked or unlocked, or a seat had to be manually unlocked, either by a pedal or pull-up device. Never saw a B&M panel close-up but I guess now that I think about it, I've always heard them unlocking one car instead of the whole train.

Cell phones and other small articles are probably the most common lost article on a coaster. Ever seen Diamonback's cell phone casket? I think they stopped putting devices in there in 2010 cause it filled up pretty quick.

The only issue I see this kind of system having is Flash Pass. Having them go in single-file onto the train means that they're literally cutting in front of people, which could cause issues. At least with allowing a couple trains of people stand in the station, that at least isn't as bad.

I guess having experience working on a coaster, this kind of things run around in my head. Doing this on a coaster that has a 24 person capacity train, vs 12 people per train on Rip, Ride, Rockit just seems weird to me. I know this kind of system works well for small capacity coasters like many mouse coasters and such, but never on this large of scale.

The only issue I see this kind of system having is Flash Pass. Having them go in single-file onto the train means that they're literally cutting in front of people, which could cause issues. At least with allowing a couple trains of people stand in the station, that at least isn't as bad.

And why couldn't they just have a merge point back a little ways in line? Seems to work fine on almost all of the Flash Pass rides at Great America.

All I know it I stood in line for Giant about 15 minutes before leaving yesterday. One train operation on the most popular ride in the park on a weekend? Are you kidding me? And to top it off this new loading scheme must have been slowing things down even further, as there was consistently at LEAST a 5 minute delay between the train arriving at the station and it leaving again.

All I know it I stood in line for Giant about 15 minutes before leaving yesterday. One train operation on the most popular ride in the park on a weekend? Are you kidding me? And to top it off this new loading scheme must have been slowing things down even further, as there was consistently at LEAST a 5 minute delay between the train arriving at the station and it leaving again.

Maybe they adopted the super efficient maintenance schedule from Magic Mountain! That's too bad, but it could have been any number of things. We just have to hope it doesn't become a regular occurrence.

If this somehow gets them to run three trains without stacking, I'm for it. But....I don't see that happening.

With as slow as trains were getting dispatched yesterday, they were essentially stacking with one train.

What's sad was the park wasn't even that crowded yesterday. Titan was maybe a 5-train wait with its two trains running. During the 15 minutes I waited in line for Giant, the only reason the line ever moved was due to more and more people leaving the line. It's sad when the general public starts recognizing how horribly inefficient operations are to about face and leave the line (and if you know how long Giant's line is, it's no simple feat).

I'm all for experimenting new ideas to increase efficiency, but how about when the park's not open and not making paying guests guinea pigs? There's plenty of private party days stuff like that can get ironed out during...

I'm all for experimenting new ideas to increase efficiency, but how about when the park's not open and not making paying guests guinea pigs? There's plenty of private party days stuff like that can get ironed out during...

This is like saying Disney or Universal shouldn't soft-open to work out the kinks of their new rides before the crowds start flocking en masse. The park shouldn't test out a new loading system on a packed day, no, but they have every right to do it on a less busy day - it gives them a chance to work out the kinks while seeing how the system handles an average crowd level, after which they can decide whether it's practical to make the change permanent.

This is like saying Disney or Universal shouldn't soft-open to work out the kinks of their new rides before the crowds start flocking en masse. The park shouldn't test out a new loading system on a packed day, no, but they have every right to do it on a less busy day - it gives them a chance to work out the kinks while seeing how the system handles an average crowd level, after which they can decide whether it's practical to make the change permanent.

Well perhaps I understated the crowds a bit. There was still a pretty good size crowd for Holiday in the Park. And I'm all for soft openings but honestly as slow as the trains were being dispatched, it's like they had came up with this plan 5 minutes prior to park opening. I questioned whether the ride was open or not several times as I walked through the queue since no trains were being dispatched. And like I said, during this time of the year, there are several private parties that they could have done the testing during instead of upsetting regular guests.

^ thanks for the video. I'm still not sold on this new loading style. It seems like it would take the same amount of time. It just seems weird to start this now. I could see this working for a slow day where the line is short. I also wonder how long before the locals get pissed since there not allowed to pick a row anymore.

It'll probably be most effective when they're running all the trains. As far as people complaining about not being able to choose their own seats, oh well.....they'll get over it. Disney assigns seats all the time and I've never seen anyone complain about it when I've been at their parks.

The difference between this and RRRocket is that the latter loads 12 rows at a time while utilizing the continuously moving system. The NTG loads 1 row at a time with the train moving at a VERY slow pace compared to the old system of loading 12 rows at a time with the train at a standstill.

I don't see how this is any more efficient at all.

Also, how does unloading work?