TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

p. 416 - Fire and Ice Festival announced!

I hadn't been to SFOT in a few years, but I never thought La Vibora had looked bad until now. It had this kind of peeling snake-skin look that seemed fitting for the ride and design, but now it looks like it's painted ceramic. The ride looks nice and fresh! I can't say anything about the ride since I've never ridden it...off of looks, the line never seemed justifiable with Titan being a walk-on next door.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"unfortunately"   Seriously. . WTF is wrong with you ??

Nitro’s description says that too. Six Flags is just dumb.

I don’t entirely understand why this is getting so much publicity and so many questions surrounding it as if there aren’t 15 other states with no mask mandates including many states that have Six Flag

Posted Images

Does anyone else remember when it actually was that old faded blue?

Yes, it was called "Avalanche Bobsleds" back then. The name fit the ride better than "La Vibora" does, but it didn't fit at all in the section of the park where it's located.

LV is one of those rides that represents a good transition for up-n-coming coaster enthusiasts. It's fun/exciting enough to appeal to the teens and adults in the family, but not so scary that the rest of the folks (tall enough) want to sit it out. SFOT does have a few of these rides already - Pandemonium, Judge, Mine Train - but its main appeal is that it gives the park some real variety of coastering experiences. If they ever take it out, I hope they replace it with another bobsled - how about a clone of Schweitzer Bobbahn from Heide Park?

It could also be fun to enclose the track so that it resembles a pipeline... there could be fun effects added then, the ride would be in the dark, and it would be LOUD.

It could also be fun to enclose the track so that it resembles a pipeline... there could be fun effects added then, the ride would be in the dark, and it would be LOUD.

Well, it may be a good idea at first, but then all of the effects would break, and it would be replaced by a wing rider. But, of course, it would be twenty-ish years late, but whatever! Just relocate X-Flight!

^No, no, no, I'm not talking about putting it in a box, retheming it with some lame space idea, and marketing it as a good ride..... I'm talking about putting a cover on the track like an enclosed water slide. As for effects, all you'd need would be some LED lights and maybe a fog machine.

OOO, you could leave the brake sections open (leaving enough light for the riders to see those coming, preventing the jarring effects of being caught off-guard in the dark by those) - put fog machines in the tunnels, then as each car exited the tunnel, there would be a burst of fog with it, visible to folks on the ground.

Come to think of it, that would be a really cool effect for Freeze, too. The train rockets out of the tunnel, dragging all that "smoke" behind it.

I enjoy La Vibora too, & even as much as I liked Disaster Transport, but I get upset, when classic rides go away too, but If they did remove it, I hope at least they can replace it with a great history that Texas has never had before like a Vekoma Flying Dutchman something like that!

Let's see what SFOT has already so we can speculate what they might "need" -

Kiddie: Wile E Coyote

Junior: Mini Mine Train

Enclosed: Runaway Mountain

Shuttle: Freeze

Inverted: Batman

Bobsled: La Vibora

Spinning: Pandemonium

Mine Train: Run-a-way Mine Train

Looper: Shockwave

Wood: Judge

Hybrid: New Texas Giant

Hyper: Titan

So there's room in that lineup for a mouse, a flyer, a wing coaster, a standup, or (long shot) a wood twister.

Something like Europa's Poseidon would be a good fit for those brutal Texas summers, too.

However, one thing that SFOT completely lacks is a good dark ride. How cool would it be to see something like Blackpool's Valhalla go in that spot where the dead mall is now, or maybe a DC-themed dark ride... OMG, if they did one of those enclosed mouse Dark Knight things, they could take two things off the wish list with just one ride. That would suck, though, I'd rather see something interesting and with higher capacity.

Or maybe purchase the Batman The Escape from astroworld an Intamin Standup!

It would be difficult to purchase anything from Astroworld now. Darien Lake, I believe, has the thing rotting in a field somewhere.

Besides, it would be better to have a GOOD standup than Batman the Escape... wait. Did I just say "good standup"? Those are so rare that I really don't see any parks likely to invest on a new (not recycled) standup any time soon.

How about another first-ever coaster? They could build a launched wooden spinning flying mouse coaster!

...and call it Green Lantern or some other such stupid thing.

However, one thing that SFOT completely lacks is a good dark ride. How cool would it be to see something like Blackpool's Valhalla go in that spot where the dead mall is now, or maybe a DC-themed dark ride... OMG, if they did one of those enclosed mouse Dark Knight things, they could take two things off the wish list with just one ride. That would suck, though, I'd rather see something interesting and with higher capacity.

Wait...doesn't SFOT have the Bugs Bunny themed boat ride? I kinda thought that was one of the best dark rides of the entire Six Flags chain. I can't only think of Monster Mansion as being a better one!

Wait...doesn't SFOT have the Bugs Bunny themed boat ride? I kinda thought that was one of the best dark rides of the entire Six Flags chain. I can't only think of Monster Mansion as being a better one!

Same here. Though I may be slightly biased against the pair of Six Flags shooting dark rides as they're pretty generic. I know they're not exactly the same (it was neat how the SFStL one is a boat ride), but still.

^Oh yeah... forgot about that, since I pretty much avoid it. Every time I ride it, I mourn the transition from Speelunker's Cave to the Bugs Bunny corporate-themed craptastic ride and just get depressed.

Yeah, see to most of us, that boat ride is one of the best in the Six Flags chain. While I understand that the old version holds some nostalgic value, I guess, it's a shame you can't appreciate that it is actually REALLY good.

--Robb "Let go of the past...everyone dies." Alvey

The RIDE is still good. What I hate is that what used to be a one-of-a-kind themed attraction is now corporate-themed. Yes, as Looney Tunes themed rides go, it's better than most, but it's still a huge step backwards from what it used to be. For the record, I'll take local theming over Looney Tunes/Super Hero theming every single time.

Saying I should just appreciate it anyway is like saying "so Revolution has OTSRs, get over it"

Yes, there is some validity in that statement, but the level of joy will forever be diminished from what it was before.

Saying I should just appreciate it anyway is like saying "so Revolution has OTSRs, get over it"

Exactly. Guess what? Revolution has OTSR's. Get the f**k over it.

Seriously it's been TWENTY FREAKING years since they changed the dark ride. You're STILL holding a grudge??!?!

I guess what's comic relief to me is that you come on here saying that SFOT should build a dark ride...but SFOT already HAS a dark ride...and one that most people would agree is a REALLY GOOD one (I'm sure including lots of locals) ...but you don't acknowledge it because of something that happened twenty years ago.

Sorry...I just happen to find that hilarious!

Edited by robbalvey
How dare the park try to increase the appeal of the ride to a broader audience.

I know! Right?!?!?

It's clear to me that that Yosemite Sam's days are numbered due to low ridership since all the locals boycott the ride because they changed it.

Looks like I will probably be able go to Holiday in the Park this year! I haven't researched this event much, so I was just curious what rides are usually open. I have been to Dallas several times during this time in the year, so I know about how the weather can be, so assuming it is warm enough for all the rides to be operating, can I could on NTAG, Titan and the other bigger coasters being open? Thanks guys!

Looks like I will probably be able go to Holiday in the Park this year! I haven't researched this event much, so I was just curious what rides are usually open. I have been to Dallas several times during this time in the year, so I know about how the weather can be, so assuming it is warm enough for all the rides to be operating, can I could on NTAG, Titan and the other bigger coasters being open? Thanks guys!

When I went last year, I do not know if I was just there on a bad day, but the rides that were closed were...

- Mr. Freeze

- Batman

- Flashback

- Judge Roy Scream

- La Vibora

- Shock Wave

- And NTG (aside from the last hour the park was open)

- A countless amount of flats...

To think... I bought a platinum flash pass to be able to use it on three rides... Superman Tower Of Power, Titan, and Runaway Mountain.

Like I said maybe I just found the park on a really bad day. However as far as temps go... Riding Titan while it was chilly outside was strange... But it was actually kind of nice. Usually you are on coasters in the heat of summer, but something about riding them when cold was just... different. You will be all bundled up, nose running, but having a blast! I suggest going regardless of the ride being open or not. Even only being able to ride a few rides it was still a some what enjoyable trip.

~Matt

^ Gotham City is closed every HIP. They must start rehab on that side of the park. I am not sure why JRS was closed. I thought they always had it open that time of year. I am really going to miss the huge red XMas tree they would put up every year. It would hang down from the parachutes. It makes me curious if they will find another way to put it up.

^ Gotham City is closed every HIP. They must start rehab on that side of the park. I am not sure why JRS was closed. I thought they always had it open that time of year. I am really going to miss the huge red XMas tree they would put up every year. It would hang down from the parachutes. It makes me curious if they will find another way to put it up.

Maybe they will put it on the new SkyScreamer???

~Matt