TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^I'm sure of it. Many still think the ride is rough and won't ride it either. Hello, have they not looked at it, can they not tell it hasn't changed, just a little bit? Apparently not.

If the rumor on screamscape is true in regards to Mr. Freeze being down until May, well, I won't go until May as Shockwave is supposed to be in year 4 of 5 on it's track rehab and historically hasn't opened until late April and without those two rides, the only other rides worth having are NTAG and Batman, not worth the fuel $$

Just an update to this...Freeze is indeed closed and May is what I heard, but Shockwave was up and thrilling in all it's glory! Was basically walk on all day today, and ops were letting people stay on as long as no one was waiting for their row.

Overall, great day...at least 2 train operation on all coasters, park looking good, and employees friendly and on the ball with dispatches. Of course, it is just opening weekend! We'll see what it's like in a month or two...

If they did tear down the shopping center, I could see a Superman: Ultimate Flight in this park's future. A ZacSpin themed after a different hero (or villain) would be cool too.
Magic Mountain is my home park..Green Lantern is a fun ride but the restraints can make the ride very painful. There is a pretty good amount of airtime on it but it's just a "good" ride. I can see SFOT getting some sort of Eurofighter or a new creation from Intamin for that rumored area.

^I'm sure of it. Many still think the ride is rough and won't ride it either. Hello, have they not looked at it, can they not tell it hasn't changed, just a little bit? Apparently not.

If the rumor on screamscape is true in regards to Mr. Freeze being down until May, well, I won't go until May as Shockwave is supposed to be in year 4 of 5 on it's track rehab and historically hasn't opened until late April and without those two rides, the only other rides worth having are NTAG and Batman, not worth the fuel $$

Just an update to this...Freeze is indeed closed and May is what I heard, but Shockwave was up and thrilling in all it's glory! Was basically walk on all day today, and ops were letting people stay on as long as no one was waiting for their row.

Thanks for the update, sucks Freeze is still down, guess I'm going to continue to hold out for a while. It's already been down 4 months and to be down an additional 2 months I would hope they are retrofitting it for...wait for it...wait for it...AQUATRAX!

^^^ If the rumors are true and they are planning to expand into the large are occupied by the shopping center, I would hope they had something larger planned than a Zacspin or Premier Superman clone. Those things are both so narrow and compact that they could easily be fit elsewhere in the park without bothering to tear down the shopping center. Lol.

You know I've been hoping this would come up soon. I'm all for ditching the ugly bumper car building but how about keep flashback, but update the trains. I know I'm the minority but I like boomerangs. As for the rest of the property I hope it would mean a nice Gotham makeover. That section has just gotten sad looking.

^Has it? I thought that was just theming. I mean, isn't Gotham City supposed to be a depressing place?

Anyway, they could keep flashback and still have plenty of room for a handful of new attractions. But I don't feel any sense of loss when a Boomerang is removed. They're lame and they're a dime a dozen IMO.

I think a Eurofighter or maybe even a compact GCI (a la American Thunder) would be awesome.

I wouldn't bat an eye if they removed Flashback. Just about every park has one so it wouldn't exactly be missed, especially since SFoT's has terrible trains. If they got new trains I would counter that with all the ways the money could have been better spent (getting Adventure Theater open again after sitting dormant for 2 years).

Bumper cars building has only been used for haunted houses for the past several years so it should definitely go. Whatever they plan to eventually put in the shopping mall area, I hope it's good. Old rumors said they planned on putting a picnic/corporate event pavilion-type-thing out there.

Could this be why Mr. Freeze is closed?

Screamscape Reports

Park News - (3/9/12) Strange rumor coming from Six Flags St. Louis this week… and I’ve got to wonder if the same thing is planned for SFOT as well. If the rumors are true, Mr. Freeze will get a little change this season and possibly see the trains turned around backwards for the 2012 season. Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast? Can anyone confirm this?

I don't how I feel about this... If it indeed happen wouldn't you need the over the shoulder restrains back on the train?

I wonder if they are turning one side or both sides around backwards. They won't need OTSR. The Lap bars will be just fine. In my logic... if people were able to ride Chiller backwards through thoughts zero-g-rolls with just lap bars then anything is possible!!! I think this is a good move as it will bring back attention to a great ride tha twas built in the 90s. I'm sure that while they are at it they will give the dated themeing some TLC too and restore the ride back to its prime.

The issue with lap bars wouldn't be about falling out or not. If there would be an issue, it would be how forcefully people are thrown forward during the launch. I'm no expert, and I'm not sure what the limits are on things like that, but that's the only reason I coul think of for adding OTSR's.

I certainly hope this rumor is true! I'd love going up that spike looking face-down. And hopefully as vacoaster09 said, they would turn one backwards and keep one forwards.

Yes, the whole reason why launched coasters have to have backrests and headrests is because of the backward acceleration. Mr. Freeze's launch accelerates at .84G, which isn't as forceful as, say, Storm Runner's 1.6G. If the trains were turned backwards, it would still push riders' upper bodies and necks uncomfortably forward for about four seconds unless there was something for them to be pressed against.

The launch acceleration is probably the reason why Superman Escape from Krypton and Tower of Terror II were fitted with shoulder harnesses.

As much as I would love to have a forward and a backward train, would that even be feasible? What modifications are necessary to be able to run a backward train, and would those modifications also be able to support a forward train?

When turning a train backwards you really only have to worry about two things(sure there may be a few others, but two main things) brakes and sensors. Sensor placement may need to be adjusted for both trains to line up, or a second set installed with a PLC upgrade to know what train is on track and what sensor trips to look for on. (I'm sure it already knows which train is on track ) Brake fin locations may also need to be adjusted on the backwards train so that everything lines up.

Pretty much those are the only two things an operator does to run a train backwards on a woodie as well.

I'm against Backwards Freeze, when you're facing forward and moving to the left/right and you see the launch tunnel and when you're launched the lights pass you making it seem faster, if you turn the train backwards, that whole experience would be destroyed.

Also, don't get me started on Premier OTSRs.

Y'know, as I was typing my questions I sorta figured that it wouldn't be too difficult. Just wanted to make sure.

And I also wouldn't be too crazy about entirely backwards Freeze. I have yet to ride S:EFK to confirm this, but I would think that backwards launches aren't quite as exciting. I'm a big fan of the wind in your face as you fly down the track and see the first element rapidly coming up to greet you, a luxury backwardsization wouldn't afford.

^^Superman is actually not bad backwards as you don't really know when you are going to stop at the top (well after a few rides you do) but still, looking straight down as you hang for a split second is pretty awesome. Even better with rain hitting you in the face in that rare case they run it in the rain (WCB 2011)

Let's face it, the only two parts of the ride that the public will really notice is the launch and the spike, you already go backwards at some point.