TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P.. 420: Pirates of Speelunker Cave announced for 2022!

Exactly. I personally think it's a good idea. I don't believe Topper track has been installed on any coasters long enough yet for a park to see cost difference in maintenance. In theory it'll pay for itself in a few years I'd imagine.

I think the major difference between NTG and say Gemini at CP is the track shape. Tubular steel track is normal on a steel coaster, this track IS different. It isn't a wooden coaster I don't believe, but it isn't a tubular steel track coaster with wooden supports, either. It's a halfway point between the two. I'm very interested in getting to ride this, but with a year of college left, it probably won't happen this summer. Oh well, we'll have fun at SFOG anyway for the Deep South Bash!

With the wheel design of the new trains, are they somewhat "locked" to the track to prevent the sideways and up and down shuffle that you get with a traditional wood train? I believe this is kinda what differentiates the the 2 styles of ride. The majority of , if not all, steel coasters are relatively locked to the rails in order to perform the transitions associated with steel designs. This to me would say that the train is going to travel the exact spot on each section of rail and provide pretty much the same experience every time. With a wooden coaster you might not really notice but each ride gives a different experience somewhat.

Just my 2 cents.........does it really matter, bottom line is it is still a coaster, and it still looks to be a helluva ride regardless!

^Ah, so I had it backwards. Well, as long as the majority of the track is still wood I would still consider it to be a wooden coaster.

It's a tough call, especially if an entire coaster was re-tracked with that system. I think I'd want to still call it a wooden coaster just to piss off the wood coaster aficionados who will claim it's no longer a wood coaster, you know, the same people who want to make the claim that El Toro isn't a wood coaster either.

These people clearly have issues!

With the wheel design of the new trains, are they somewhat "locked" to the track to prevent the sideways and up and down shuffle that you get with a traditional wood train? I believe this is kinda what differentiates the the 2 styles of ride. The majority of , if not all, steel coasters are relatively locked to the rails in order to perform the transitions associated with steel designs. This to me would say that the train is going to travel the exact spot on each section of rail and provide pretty much the same experience every time. With a wooden coaster you might not really notice but each ride gives a different experience somewhat.

Just my 2 cents.........does it really matter, bottom line is it is still a coaster, and it still looks to be a helluva ride regardless!

The gap between the side wheels and the side of the rails on the inside is VERY small...so it rides pretty snug. Still, to me, it rode like something new and not like anything I've been on before.

I just woke up so I'll start to write a more detailed review of the ride soon

^Ah, so I had it backwards. Well, as long as the majority of the track is still wood I would still consider it to be a wooden coaster.

It's a tough call, especially if an entire coaster was re-tracked with that system. I think I'd want to still call it a wooden coaster just to piss off the wood coaster aficionados who will claim it's no longer a wood coaster, you know, the same people who want to make the claim that El Toro isn't a wood coaster either.

These people clearly have issues!

Now Robb it should be common knowledge that for a wooden coaster to be claimed as such, the track needs to consist of at least 80% Yellow Pine.

Hopefully someone senses my horrible attempt at sarcasm

From my ride experience, I feel that is has earned the best ride in the park award in my book. Maybe it will soon have another golden ticket award hanging in the station. I think it deserves it. I really appreciate the first drop and the small hill before the MCBR. Oh and lets not forget the drop under the first drop!

Okay, he's my quick run down of the ride...if you wan't it to be a complete surprise then you might not wan't to read what I want to say about the ride . I'm also warning you, if you don't like unnesesary details then don't read

First of all, I LOVE the trains. Walking up to them the first thing that comes to mind is how huge they are, but this is a really good thing. The rows are very seperate, and each 2nd row is raised giving probably the best stadium style seating experience on a coaster I've ever seen. The seats DO have the vertical thing that sticks up in between your legs but the seats are pretty deep and I never once felt it...The seats are very roomy and comfortable. I will say the 2nd row of each car has a LOT more leg room then the front row, which requires you to keep your legs straight down. The lapbars do have leg bars on them, but I never once touched them or even noticed them during the ride, which says a lot because of the extreme negative forces. The lapbars themselves, like I said before, are just like the ones on THBS. They are really padded and fit to your lap nicely. Once they touch your legs the green lights illuminate and you're good to go. I never once got stapled or anything. As for visuals, I will admit I though the trains were going to look really strange on the track, but after seeing it in action in person I really liked how the trains looked. I also prefer the red train over the teal train we've seen running already. Last but not least, the windows really are a non issue. They are flexible plastic, so even if you brush up against them during any of the turns it's barely noticable. Other than that, you don't even notice them as you're looking ahead at the track thanks to the stadium style seating. Oh yeah, another thing to keep in mind is the view from the front row is somewhat limited by the front of the car sticking out in front of you, but it's still a great place to ride.

As for the ride, I was worried after seeing the POV on Facebook that the lift was going to disengage very slowly. However, this wasn't the case. While the lift isn't that fast at all, it continued right over the top. The drop, as you can imagine, is extremely steep. Even in the front seat, you are lifted up and out of your seat until the bottom. The steepness is more accentuated by the fact that you can see straight down the wood structure as you fall in the front seat. As you get back further in the train you just get whipped over. In a way, if you combine El Toro's drop with Millennium Force's this is what you get. The airtime in the back is insane stand-up air, as the way the lapbars fit allow you to lift up and out of the seat...it's just amazing. The bottom of the drop isn't as forceful as I thought it might be, but right away you are thrown right back up into the double up. In the front seat, this is one of the strongest airtime moments on the planet. Luckily for the back, the air is almost just as strong!

The transitions begin next and they are all VERY smooth. It flies right through the first overbank but the banking is held long enough for you to feel completely sideways. The first one gradually unbanks, but is still really quick in the back as you get whipped through. All this does is set up the next overbank. As you rise to the sky it starts to bank, and right when you reach the peak of the hill you are banked past 90* but are also thrown up in the air. It's a VERY unique element that can't be seen anywhere else in the world...it defines lateral airtime. This makes you float out of your seat as the track quickly unbanks and drops back down to earth, with the rotation and force being stronger in the back. The 3rd overbank isn't forceful at all, but instead the degree of banking on a wooden structure is most impressive. As you reach the top you basically go through a tunnel of wood and steel and it pretty much gives the impression that you are going to nail part of the structure as you fly bye (and of course, it's safe).

Exiting this overbank is the only slightly noticable jerk on the ride. It's nothing painful, and maybe more of just a sound, but as you pick up the force at the bottom of the hill there is something...maybe a wheel brushing up against one of those bolt plates? Regarless, this bring you to the next hill, which by far is probaly the best hill I have ever been on. From front to back, it is stand up style ejector air that is sustained as you fly over the hill...El Toro has met it's match. The rise up to the MCBR is really steep and fun as you fly through the structure and then quickly unbank for a break. Every time that I rode, the MCBR didn't even touch the train at all. There was a weird sound as the train went through the brakes, but I'm sure this will be worked out...I'm just so glad the ride isn't trimmed at ALL (there was one train during the entire shoot that got trimmed, not sure why but I'm sure there's a reason. Will be interesting to see how this works out with 3 trains running).

The drop off the mcbr is a little dissapointing in the front seat, but in the back you get pulled through really quickly. You fly through the structure again here, making this the 3rd area with extreme headchoppers so far. The next hill is pretty high, so the train doesn't exactly fly through it, but the radius of the hill is very small and there is still good air. A little left turn and then you get ejected by the next drop all the way to the ground as you fly through the lift hill...the radius on this drop is also very small and is very extreme in the back seat. Now, a lot of people are probably curious about the sideways hill...it was a little bit of a dissapointment I guess. For me, it was always pretty much floater, but the fact that it's a completely banked airtime hill makes the sensation unique. You then quickly fly along the ground and under the lift, and rise up into another hill that isn't that fast, but really sharp. The next hill hugs the entrance to the 3rd overbank and has a great pop of air in every seat as you quickly twist from left to right. You then drop back to the ground and pick back up the speed from before as you hit the tunnels.

The third tunnel starts at the top of the next airtime hill, which is great because you are airborne and feel like you are going to slam into the top of the tunnel. They are pretty dark tunnels and pretty compact, so they work really well. The first tunnel has a good speedy turn in it that rises and drops again, then shoots you out into the structure. You go up another hill where you once again enter another tunnel at the top of the hill. This tunnel is mostly the long, right turn around the first overbank that gradually brings you back to the ground. You exit along the turn, then pick up the 3rd tunnel as you hit the final bunny hops. The first is completely enclosed which makes it really fun as you are ejected along the roof. At the bottom you come back out into the sunlight and hit the next hill which turns to the left as you go airborne. Finally, you shoot up into the brake run, with an unbanked right turn between the top of the hill and brake section. The front has a great pop of air, while the back is more floater...but the ride's now over. The brakes are really smooth and stop the train, which is smoothly brought back to the station via drive tires.

All in all, I counted about 14 moments of air on the ride, which alone goes to show how amazing it really is. Throw in all the unique elements and you can see why I'm speaking so highly of the ride. As we watched it get built over the last year and half I began to become mesmerized by the extreme elements the designers added to the existing structure and I'm so happy that they did turn out to be so awesome. They really did take the basic layout of the Original Texas Giant and made it as INSANE as possible...and it worked perfectly. Major kudos to RMC for making this so successful on their first installation. It really was a massive project and I'm impressed.

Like I said before, while it's definitely a steel coaster and not a wood coaster, it doesn't really feel like either completely. It has some laterals and inside wheels and throws you up into the air like a wood coaster, but glides along the track and is super smooth like a steel coaster. Maybe the fact that the structure is wood and moves with the steel track gives the unique feel, I don't know.

So that's pretty much everything I can think of...I just want to confirm that all of these elements that look crazy REALLY are that crazy. If it looks like it has air, it has air. Ranging from El Toro strength airtime and B&M floater, this ride really does offer everything you could ask for in a ride and that's why I like it so much! My favorite 2 coasters prior are Boulder Dash for it's no stop blitz of airtime and speed and Bizarro at SFNE for it's variety of airtime along with the unique twists and turns, and the New Texas Giant basically combines all of this into one ride for me.

Basically if you were thinking about coming out to ride this one of a kind, world class ride, do it! You won't be dissapointed...I think everyone is going to love it and speak of it highly. SFOT should be pretty happy this payed off, too...they have won.

-Jake

P.S. sorry that I'm a super nerd and typed alot.

It was great airtime i have never rode El Toro but this now the best ride at SFOT they did it right and needed this ride to get the thrills back at the park

Edited by joco07

I'm just so glad the ride isn't trimmed at ALL (there was one train during the entire shoot that got trimmed, not sure why but I'm sure there's a reason. Will be interesting to see how this works out with 3 trains running).

I was on that train that got trimmed and it did slow it down the coaster and made it a little less fun as the final air times weren't as big. I asked the ride operator why it happened she said "it just depended on how fast it was going"

Well now, it's nice to see that this coaster is apparently now born-again thrilling. Think of it, a coaster originally designed by Dinn corp, and it's actually fun to ride! Amazing!

Rocky Mountain needs to work their magic on Mean Streak and Darien Lake's Predator now, Pronto!

While it most definitely is a steel coaster, I will say this...It didn't feel like a wood coaster. It didn't feel like a steel coaster. It really did, to me, feel like something completely new. I'm just not sure how to describe it.

I felt the same way when i got off of it it was something new, and it was a quiet ride not a lot of noise came from it except the screams.

Why don't we just call it a steel coaster, since that's what it is.

YES, it's a hybrid. Just like Gemini - which has always been called a steel coaster.

Just like Cedar Creek Mine Ride - which is a steel coaster.

Just like Excalibur - which is a steel coaster.

...conversely, there are lots of coasters with wood track and steel supports. They are also hybrids. They are also called wood coasters. There has never been a discussion, for example, about whether or not Voyage, Villian, Hades, or (yes!) the Coney Island Cyclone is a wood coaster.

The only reason this is even being discussed about Giant is because it used to be a wood coaster and because SFOT still refers to a "wooden coaster drop".

Let's drop it now, please.

Mmmm, I'm licking my chops just hearing about this. I think I need to find a way to Texas and ride this one.

And I would imagine that the wheels would need to be pretty tightly locked to the track (a la steel coasters), 'cause too much shuffling side-to-side could run the risk on hitting the bolts in the track.