TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P.. 420: Pirates of Speelunker Cave announced for 2022!

I like Rolling Thunder just fine! haha. Now back on topic!

A look at the webcam today reveals the second tunnel (and quite the odd looking thing it too) looks done. The roof follows the hill but the wall goes to the ground. They have taken every part of this ride out of the norm. Also there is a very substantial amount getting done with the catwalks. The catwalks should help give it more of a traditional look. I had actually forgotten they were still needing to be built for a while.

Link: http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/rides/TexasGiant.aspx

Also if some of you guys are in the area and want to go check it out, in the library on the UTA (University of Texas at Arlington) campus, up on the 6th floor is a history exhibit for SFOT. Lots of fun old pictures, maps, brochures, and souvenirs to look at!

Prepping for a soft opening on opening day?

All kidding aside, can't wait to check out the progress on March 5th. It will be a pretty big tease but at least I will be back the first week of May

I'm kinda iffy on the validity of the sign's reality...it just feels too perfect. I dunno.

FWIW, I heard from the Dippin Dots guy that there's a strong chance that the NTG will, in fact, be open on opening day, despite the fact that the official SFOT Facebook page specifically says that it will not. Course the Facebook page has no official opening date yet, and I'd like to hope/dream that there will maybe be a soft opening at least, but I'll hedge my bets with the official page for now.

Either way, I'll be there the 5th with bells on. Will definitely grab some pics

You think the park would intentionally lie and say the ride won't be open for opening weekend and then secretly open it? What's the point in that? I just don't see them doing that at all. I'd think they would want to promote their new $10 million ride a bit more than that...

Anyway I've heard April 30th as a potential opening day, as the park wants to throw a big 50th anniversary bash around that time (it's supposedly in their business plan for this season).

You think the park would intentionally lie and say the ride won't be open for opening weekend and then secretly open it? What's the point in that? I just don't see them doing that at all. I'd think they would want to promote their new $10 million ride a bit more than that...

I completely agree that it would make no sense. It probably is wishful thinking somewhere along the line getting misunderstood for fact.

Either way, they are planning a couple of big bashes throughout the season, so the April 30th date may be closer to reality.

^Isn't that only during the 50 day countdown from June 18-Aug5? Not the show but the cheerleaders I mean.

I was just looking at the park's webpage and it looks like four footers have been poured in the ride's infield making a nice big square. Could this be for the rumored flame throwing oil derrick?? If so that's going to be a nice BIG oil derrick! Or should I say "Giant" oil derrick?

Just to clarify, Screamscape says that the modifications that allegedly need to be done are to the TRAINS to keep riders from sticking their hands out the sides too far.

It also says that since the trains already have those "windows" on them to prevent such a thing, the rumor isn't exactly rock-solid.

If the problem does exist and if a train addition or modification to the "windows" is all that's needed to fix it, then it shouldn't delay the opening as much as a track or structure modification would.

Oh, great. Claustrophobia always ruins the fun.

Hopefully the (further) train modifications won't detract from the experience too much.

Countdown to TG's opening date announcement.

SFOT Facebook

Just 7 more days until we make the big announcement! Share our page with your friends so they can be the first to know exactly when the New Texas Giant will open. Be sure to check out our New Texas Giant tab for the exciting news!

I read an article that mentioned a Memorial Day opening. Not sure where they got that date or if they prematurely leaked it.

If they wait all the way till Memorial Day Weekend, at the end of May, then I'm going to have issues with them plastering all over their page "SPRING 2011"

Spring is Easter, not Memorial Day. Just sayin'

OOOO, an Easter weekend opening! I can see the ads now: "This Easter, come take a spin on the New Texas Giant. It's been resurrected from the dead and it'll make ya see God!"