TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^ Agreed. At least not for the seasoned coaster rider. It's top ten material, though, absolutely! Which, for a companies first offering, and being such an out-of-the-box type of project...speaks huge volumes!

Probably the most important take away from this entire project is... that it WORKED! And worked very well!

Of course, expect for the wheels hitting all those damn bolts!

--Robb

^ A major success indeed if the rumors hold true that Colossus will be getting this treatment now. Now that the test results are in and positive, looks like many other woodies can be improved also.

Colossus is running great since it's last rehab. I rode it 4 times today in the front car. It's dramatically better than ever before. It doesn't need the Rocky Mountain treatment, at all in my opinion. Keep in mind that work will turn it into a steel coaster. While I love steel, wood still has it's charm. There are better candidates, especially at Cedar Fair parks....

^ Agreed, I think this treatment is best used on more "Twistier" wood coasters, like mean streak or Ghost Rider. While colossus would be a lot more fun with steeper drops and loads more airtime, I'd rather see it done on ghost rider.

I was in Texas all weekend for our Texas trip. Hit SFFT, SWSA and SFOT.

We were at SFOT yesterday as soon as the park opened and were at the rope and were walked back to NTG. The energy in the crowd was insane! No one could wait to get back to ride the NTG. We were among the first few in line (as others ran around us on the way back.) I chose to ride in the front seat first and was on the 6th train out (blue.) My first ride was insanity. The double up after the first drop is ridiculous. I thought my femur bones were going to break from the insane ejector air. I will not give a detailed ride review here because there are several others already but I will say that this ride is AMAZING! I also got a back seat ride in the black train later in the day and that ride really solidified my opinion that this coaster is now my number 2 favorite steel coaster!!!! Yes, it was that good!!

After that ride I also got to meet the main carpenter for the ride and a supervisor from the park that were both EXTREMELY nice and were willing to talk to us about the ride and ask our opinions. The only negative thing we had to say about the ride is that the mist in all the tunnels were on too strong and we actually got really wet on our rides, but other than that this thing is absolutely amazing. Everyone needs to ride NTG as soon as possible!!!

PS-SFOT is now one of my favorite parks as well...NTG, Titan and Mr. Freeze were all awesome!

SFOT claimed on FB that Shockwave was open on Sunday.

I agree with others, I don't really want to see everyone rushing to this change. We're losing wood coasters as it is. This should only be for the coasters that really can't work, because of their size. Traditional wood coasters over 150 ft usually don't work. Voyage does becauase the park spends a fortune to keep retracking.

I could see this being a good change on coasters that few ride becasue of the roughness, like Texas Giant. Those rides would be Rattler, with a return to a big first drop, Mean Streak, and SOB. Collossus isn't too big, it could be fixed by competent track work. It would be a shame to lose collossus to the track. Especially since it has a pretty standard layout and flat turns.

-R

SFOT claimed on FB that Shockwave was open on Sunday.

I agree with others, I don't really want to see everyone rushing to this change. We're losing wood coasters as it is. This should only be for the coasters that really can't work, because of their size. Traditional wood coasters over 150 ft usually don't work. Voyage does becauase the park spends a fortune to keep retracking.

I could see this being a good change on coasters that few ride becasue of the roughness, like Texas Giant. Those rides would be Rattler, with a return to a big first drop, Mean Streak, and SOB. Collossus isn't too big, it could be fixed by competent track work. It would be a shame to lose collossus to the track. Especially since it has a pretty standard layout and flat turns.

-R

Personally, I wouldn't mind if NTAG were the only coaster to ever recieve this treatment. Right now there's a certain feeling of being special and unique with regards to NTAG. That alone is enough to attract scores of coaster enthusiasts who want a chance to ride the only "Iron Horse" coaster in existance.

I love that feeling that there's no other coaster in the world quite like NTAG. But if other coasters started getting this treament then NTAG would be just another face in the crowd- NO THANKS! I say keep NTAG unique and special!

But, of course, they probably won't. Other coasters will undoubtedly get the "Iron Horse" upgrade in the years ahead. If they turn out anywhere near as good as NTAG park owners will go crazy for this new type of track. As a result, NTAG will likely be forgotten.

Simply put...

The ride formerly known as "Spinal Realignment" is no more! It has been replaced with butter-smooth awesomeness. My daughter said it well. "when the old TG hit the break run all you could hear were groans of agony....when NTAG hits the break run all you hear is clapping and cheering!".

Simply put...

The ride formerly known as "Spinal Realignment" is no more! It has been replaced with butter-smooth awesomeness. My daughter said it well. "when the old TG hit the break run all you could hear were groans of agony....when NTAG hits the break run all you hear is clapping and cheering!".

"Spinal Realignment"!!!! YIKES!!!

But your right , it was pretty rough.

I was in Texas all weekend for our Texas trip. Hit SFFT, SWSA and SFOT.

We were at SFOT yesterday as soon as the park opened and were at the rope and were walked back to NTAG. The energy in the crowd was insane! No one could wait to get back to ride the NTAG. We were among the first few in line (as others ran around us on the way back.) I chose to ride in the front seat first and was on the 6th train out (blue.) My first ride was insanity. The double up after the first drop is ridiculous. I thought my femur bones were going to break from the insane ejector air. I will not give a detailed ride review here because there are several others already but I will say that this ride is AMAZING! I also got a back seat ride in the black train later in the day and that ride really solidified my opinion that this coaster is now my number 2 favorite steel coaster!!!! Yes, it was that good!!

After that ride I also got to meet the main carpenter for the ride and a supervisor from the park that were both EXTREMELY nice and were willing to talk to us about the ride and ask our opinions. The only negative thing we had to say about the ride is that the mist in all the tunnels were on too strong and we actually got really wet on our rides, but other than that this thing is absolutely amazing. Everyone needs to ride NTAG as soon as possible!!!

PS-SFOT is now one of my favorite parks as well...NTAG, Titan and Mr. Freeze were all awesome!

If you were riding it at the same time I was sunday in the evening...that wasn't just a supervisor...that was the park president, Martindale himself. He was greeting people and asking how they enjoyed it and talking with ride attendants.

I also got to meet the main carpenter for the ride and a supervisor from the park that were both EXTREMELY nice and were willing to talk to us about the ride and ask our opinions.

If you were riding it at the same time I was sunday in the evening...that wasn't just a supervisor...that was the park president, Martindale himself. He was greeting people and asking how they enjoyed it and talking with ride attendants.

"Uncle Steve" is well-known for getting out and about in the park and surveying how guests are reacting to things and getting a feel for what's popular and what's not. He's friendly and easy to talk to, he has a long history with the park (worked there as a teen and even met his wife there), and seems to genuinely care that visitors have a good time.

He's also ridiculously handsome, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Here's what Steve looks like so you can identify if it was actually him or not:

It's somewhat refreshing that the president of the park is someone who has a long, long history of working there. I wonder how much he pushed for Casa Magnetica's return this year?

Can't wait to ride this! It's like Arrow's old concept done right and on steroids (Excalibur, Gemini). Honestly, after trying out The Voyage for the first time this past summer, could it be a candidate for this treatment in the future (if the Timberliners don't work out I assume)?

I was really against this treatment at first. But really, it takes an incredible and imposing looking structure with great elements and adds the benefit of a fantastic ride experience, which it probably had in its first few years of operation.

Things really work well when the president cares about the park. It used to be that way at Magic Mountain in LA. Jay Thomas was great and always talking to the G.P. He's now at home office in Dallas. The Magic Mountain president now doesn't even speak to most of her employees let alone engage the general public.