TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Here it is everyone! Our Texas Giant POV Video! You can really see the OMFG HOLY S**T AIRTIME on our rider POV Cam!

Please - POST THE LINK TO THIS VIDEO EVERYWHERE! SHARE IT WITH ALL YOUR COASTER FRIENDS! POST IT ON YOUR FACEBOOK! ON YOUR TWITTER! ON ANY SITE YOU VISIT!!!!

IT'S AMAZING!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! TG had been reborn! NTG looks totally awesome! Was going to wait, but now I know I will be readjusting my schedule to be there Sunday morning...no matter the wait in line.

The lights look like a great addition to the tunnels.

Robb, Looks epic..........Better than El Toro?

It's on par...seriously. But the main difference here - NTAG is absolutely, no question - A *steel* coaster.

This is exactly what i thought !!! The Wood is just a structure now !!!! Now do you think this company who did this Rehab would sell a lot of their products and technics to all theses parks who need to re born their wooden coasters ? I bet GCI are the best about Retracking ?

Full ride view from a wood coaster purist who had TxGiant as his #1 coaster for many years. Oh, and spoiler alerts abound.

Honestly, the first ride was in row three and was rather sluggish. I thought "overhyped" would be the key word of the day... But no. The ride just got better and better as the day went on and once I rode in the back, I was hooked..

The station is very nice with lots of fun theming. Oddly, there is chevy theming everywhere even though the trains are Caddys. The trains are nice, comfy, suitable for larger riders, and the windows were not even noticed once the ride started. There is a car front sticking out of the wall that has headlights and honks it's horn when a train leaves the station.

There is also a "chicken coop" for scared non-riders that makes a loud clucking noise when someone enters it.

The train dispatches and rounds a flat turn to engage the lift chain. No lurching at all as it engages. The trip up is smooth and fast. At the top, the sign still says "wait, let's discuss this" but Wile E. Coyote is now a 3D figure clutching the rail, not just a painted image. A US and Texas flag fly on either side, plus a cow skull and another small sign that says "it's all downhill from here."

The drop that follows might be my fave first drop, ever. Whatever conversation you were having on the lift will STOP and you'll need to gasp. If you're in the front of the train, you will be offered a bit of float and a track that never seems to quit curving inward. If you're in the back, you'll be catapulted out of your seat, then dragged to the depths of hell. I expected it to be good. I didn't expect it to be THIS good...

The double-up is thigh-crushing ejector air followed by a rise into the first over bank. It glides through the turn effortlessly and quickly with very few forces, lateral or otherwise. A decent drop leads to the next over bank, as effortless as the first, but the pullout of this one is a riot of laterals and airtime. That drop is long and deep and leads to the third over bank. Again, fast, smooth, and effortless. Head choppers abound and if you look carefully at the last overhead steel beam, they had to chop out part of it to get enough clearance. Really. Those windows are on the trains for a reason, folks, and that's the first of many. Diving out of that, you can see the impossibly twisted entrance to the midcourse brake... And while you're staring at it, you begin the rise up and then the train gets pulled right out from under you. Violently. It's crazy good and after 30 rides, my thighs were beginning to stage a revolt against the thought of doing it again.

The midcourse brake run was running full-out OPEN and I was told that's the plan for normal operation, too. Sweeeeet.

The dive out of the midcourse is as good as it was on the old Giant in the good days. Maybe better. It's at this point that the propane cannon is supposed to go off, but it wasn't on today. The next hill is a brain trick... Not much action unless you are near the front of the train, and even then it's just a mild floater. Stop now and consider: when it is noteworthy to mention in a ride report that a particular hill does NOT offer extreme airtime, that should tell you something about the rest of the hills. After this little trick of fooling you into thinking the airtime show is over, the train dives through the lift structure and you will be too busy screaming about your bruised thighs to notice that everything in every one of your pockets is now airborne. The "no loose articles" policy is NEEDED. Just sayin'.

Swoop turn, another airtime hill (this time with banking) and swoop under the lift. Fun, but nothing spectacular.

The next hop and s-shaped bunny hop don't offer anything special, but those on the right side of the train are going to be VERY glad there are windows on the train. The train skims the track that suddenly appears on the right side of the train so closely, i'd bet that you could stick your head out (I said HEAD, not HAND) and hit it if not for those windows. Geezus.

First tunnel coming up. This one is themed like a mine entrance and has a great head chopper with airtime before plunging into the dark. Some lights between the rails at the bottom of the drop add interest, then it's outside again and immediately into a second tunnel. This one says "honky tonk" and has colored rope lights on the ceiling, with bunny hops. Nice.

The bit between tunnels 2&3 is the only dead spot on the ride, but that was also true of the original (sans tunnels). The final. Tunnel says "adios" and includes in-the-dark airtime.

Two more ejector bunnies and you're on the final brake run.

If you loved the old Giant, it will take a couple of rides before you warm up to this one. It is a TOTALLY new experience, similar to the previous one in name only. Love it for what it IS rather than what it WAS and you'll discover a totally unique, tons-o-fun airtime monster that can hold its own against anything else.

Well, once Knott's admits that there is something wrong with Ghostrider, hopefully it will be next.

Of course, with all that Airtime, Knott's would probably put OTSR's on it.

And an extra seat belt for said harness

Robb, Looks epic..........Better than El Toro?

It's on par...seriously. But the main difference here - NTAG is absolutely, no question - A *steel* coaster.

Glad to hear it! Money well spent....

My review:

Get into the station, choose second to last row. Sat down in the MASSIVELY comfortable seats, and pulled down the hydraulic restraints (which were not bad at all except for the bars if you were in the front of the car). I could tell just getting out of the station that you'd be pulled along the whole ride. The lift was smooth, and was going up at a pretty decent pace. And then, once we reached the sign on the top of the lift hill, we literally just get pulled over for some MAJOR ejector airtime off the drop. I was standing in my seat the ejector was so strong. The pullout wasn't too intense but then the double up came and that was some good ejector as well, and then came the first overbank. Very smooth, pulled into and out of it, then the second overbank, same as the first, then came the biggie, the 115. Not bad at all, not as great as I expected, but still really decent. Then another pop of ejector right before the brake run (which started to bite throughout the day as they would reset everything every hour or two) and the drop of the midcourse was just as good when it was wood. Then you get some small ejector as you get ready to go under the structure twice. Great airtime here as well. Then there's kind of a relaxation point right before the tunnel, the S curve is nice, but then the tunnel comes, and I definitely was not expecting LED lights under the track, and the train was still hustling through the tunnel. The second one then had LED lights on the top of the tunnel. Still haulin' ass. And the third tunnel, despite having no LED lights, was great and was a perfect lead in to the finale, which gave amazing airtime just like it used to. All in all, fantastic ride, very well done, congratulate RMC, SF, Gerstlauer, and everyone else that worked on it. 10 million well spent

I completely agree. I will admit that I was slightly let down the first time I rode it, just because I had been expecting so much, but it really is a spectacular ride!! The problem was that I was comparing it to El Toro, and it just wasn't El Toro. It had similar strength airtime, but it was never sustained for very long, which was really my only complaint. I felt like the first half of the ride was spectacular, but aside from the dive into the old helix, the second half of the ride was fairly forgettable. But it is definitely an amazing ride and better than most roller coasters that I've ridden so far! If you have the chance to get out to Arlington, you should most definitely check out the NTG!

Be aware, folks.... when the GP is in the park, you will be stapled. There are signs everywhere that say the bar must touch your leg and if you attempt to create space between your leg and the bar, you will be ejected from the park.

When the replacement crew came in with the onslaught of contest winners and other non-enthusiast riders, those bars were getting pushed down pretty hard.

During ERT they were much more relaxed about it.

Just one more reason to go to CoasterCon or sign up for Giant Bash so you get your tasty ERT airtime!

Be aware, folks.... when the GP is in the park, you will be stapled. There are signs everywhere that say the bar must touch your leg and if you attempt to create space between your leg and the bar, you will be ejected from the park.

When the replacement crew came in with the onslaught of contest winners and other non-enthusiast riders, those bars were getting pushed down pretty hard.

During ERT they were much more relaxed about it.

Just one more reason to go to CoasterCon or sign up for Giant Bash so you get your tasty ERT airtime!

I'll be at TG Bash. I hate the stapling!

Interesting comment about stapling. I didn't notice the signs, but they did staple my son pretty hard, digging into his legs. They reset it, did it good, and a guy came by and again dug into his legs. We had to complain again.. The bars seemed to have a pointed bottom, not flat, so it would dig pretty good.

My bar was pretty loose once, and I damn near stood up on the pre midcourse hill, which is insane. I like the fact that the insane air is short, not sustained and painful like T Express.

A great coaster, but I think it will be around 5 on the polls. The last half is a little weak. Although it has yet to deliver night time summer rides, so who knows how crazy it will get.

R