TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Jake... how does the flying carpet compare to the original version? I'm guessing that it's not quite as wild as before, since you didn't specifically mention it in your detailed ride report. Does it at least finish things up with a bang, even if maybe not being the best part of the ride anymore?

I really want to go back to SFOT and go ride the new version. Boy, this is so much better than that crappy original version.

Back up a bit... the ORIGINAL version was freaking AWESOME.

The later version, after the addition of trims, the removal of the double-up, and many years of wear and tear, was nearly unridable.

Just got back from the park now. (Stayed at the park until closing at 10, and then a 4 1/2 hour ride back to Houston with a 1 hour stop at Buc-ee's, I get home at freaking 4 AM.) They were testing the ride intermittently all day, unfortunately I didn't get pictures, but there were no signs of the teal or black trains anywhere.

Whats concerning me more is that when we took the train from TG to Boomtown, we noticed that Shockwave was closed and actually missing pieces of track! I suspect this is due to some extreme form of maintenance, but can someone confirm? Again, no pictures, as I couldn't get the camera from my dad's girlfriend fast enough.

^I thought it was maintenance. But I was too lazy to go and look on the forums at 4 am.

hehehe all you would have needed to do was scroll down the page a touch further. Additional reading on the topic: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58486

This reminds me of something mentioned much earlier in this thread. SFOT still needs an official thread....

Really weird that only the red train seems to be running, especially after the teal train was used for all the videos the park had posted. Will be interesting to see if we see them as April 22nd approaches!

I can only assume they're cycling different trains to get each train's count up to the minimum number of required cycles.

^But if that's the case, don't you think someone would have seen the teal and/or black train being tested at some point? Just a thought.

Well, considering the first test run ever, and the first full-train test were both on the teal one, I'm willing to bet that it's probably done most/all of it's needed runs, just in testing things like the rider clearance envelope/window (Noob question: What is it actually called, anyway?)

That just leaves the black train.

Hmmm...I wonder if they're going to get named, nick-named, numbered, or just called by color? I always thought nicknames gave coaster trains a bit more of a personality...but that's just me...

Hmmm...I wonder if they're going to get named, nick-named, numbered, or just called by color? I always thought nicknames gave coaster trains a bit more of a personality...but that's just me...

Old Bessy

But seriously, BrandonR has a point. There's still another month before it even opens, and most of that time the park is closed, which I think will really see the finishing touches on testing and promotions and other things.

And it's quite possible the black train hasn't even been tested yet. The ride does still have another month before opening.

The Black Train did look very dusty when I saw it while going up the lift so was the teal but the black looks like it hasn't been touched

Well, no matter which train(s) they run, and barring any calamities, we've only got a month of waiting until the rest of the GP discovers how much fun this new ride is! I'm totally planning on hanging out for a while near the exit, just to listen to people's reactions!

At the park yesterday they were cycling all three trains on Giant. Black looks best on the course and looked to run the fastest as well. Some trains were getting trimmed on the midcourse which really makes the second half mediocre at best (I was on the one train that got trimmed at the commercial shoot). I'm certain it was only for test purposes and the ride won't run that way.

In more news on the ride though they have painted the entire station inside and out and I would guess the brake run roof is up for a paint job as well (at least I hope). They took out the tattered old ceiling fans on the platform, and also put up a new red white a blue canopy cover on the ride op position on the midecourse brake. It looked nice! Seems safe to say most of the finishing touches are the priority at this point.

Also there is some fun merchandise out, most notable are the engraved wooden paques at the wood carver shop near the ride's exit. I have a few pics I can add later.

I was out at SFoT a few days ago helping work on the SFoT's railroads #2 and saw the black train testing and It dose look the best on the track, also that video shows that the trains do make a bit of speed "at least the full trains". Cant wait till may 14th.