TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I can't resist.

FOR ALL OF THE BOLT PLATE NAY SAYERS I GIVE YOU THE PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE WHICH YOU SEEK

tpr1.thumb.jpg.42f1b71aa82a6801e8d8ab484bd6f4d2.jpg

(DISCLAIMER, this was taken on the platform and is not an on ride photo with the ride in motion)

My opinion on the Steel vs Wood debate is that I do not think that we should call it a "hybrid" Since as many of the riders have said and can be seen it is far different from a steel coaster and equally different from a wood coaster, the box style steel track/wood structure gives a completely different ride. I think that a hybrid is a tubular steel track on a wood structure , personally I prefer the title SFOT originally used of a Iron Horse coaster and really if we start seeing more rides converted/built in this style, It might be best if we just created a new category instead of having this debate with every coaster that is built like this.

A good coaster doesn't need theming. Terminator and X2, for example. Wasted money.

I agree and disagree. *GOOD* theming absolutely CAN make a "meh" coaster much better.

I personally think that X2 is a better experience than X because of some elements they added. Sure, you can't hear the music after the lift hill, but I think the audio in the station and on the lift, combined with the fire effects actually DOES improve the ride.

Terminator, IMO, other than the tunnels with the red lights and mist, the rest of theming was wasted money. I don't think the fire adds anything to that ride, it's clear that the audio didn't work out, and the pre-show really needs to either go away, or not force people to watch it.

But take a coaster like Revolution at Bobbejaanland (similar to ex-Chaos at Opryland), that ride would be nothing if it wasn't for the excellent themeing!

Ever been on Express (Superman) at Walibi World? That ride just shows how much more the theming of Rock N Roller Coaster adds to the exact same layout of a coaster.

Come on Robb didn't you like the custom "Termie" soundtrack at last years WCB??? Now that's good use of a thematic element.

The perfect example of bad theming is Bizarro SFNE. That transformation practically ruined the ride for me. It had a great theme before hand.

I agree, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it practically ruined the ride for me. If they would have just refurbed the trains, given it a fresh coat of red and blue, add the mist full time in the tunnels, and put Superman music on the lift hill only, that would have been a perfect upgrade to Superman in my opinion. There was just no need for the on board audio, fire, and the cutouts along the course of the ride. OK, the open "S" shields are pretty cool, so I would say that was a plus. ...But there really was no need to re-theme this great coaster to Bizarro, when Superman is the much more popular comic book icon.

As for Texas Giant, I've been excited about this project from the start. And now with all the reviews coming in, next June can't get here soon enough for me. It'll be the first time I'm visiting the park.

Not EVERY coaster's theming is a waste of money, but I think most are. The theming really works when [1] it is an immersive experience that is key to the ride and [2] when the ride is designed around utilizing the theming for best effect.

Rock N Roller Coaster is a good example, as is Chaos/ Revolution (well, the FIRST version of Chaos, anyway).

The main thing about theming is that if the rider doesn't "get it" then it's wasted. Everyone can understand the story behind Rock N Roller and the "high speed ride through Hollywood to get to the theater" is well done.

I seriously doubt that anyone gets (or cares about) the cutouts or flame cannons on Bizarro. Likewise X2. (I'll give props for the audio on X2 going up the lift, but the rest of it is pointless)

Bad theming can actually detract from a good ride experience. I hate to keep going back to Bizarro, but... you get my drift.

Same with Terminator Salvation: I didn't see the movie, I couldn't care less about the movie, and I don't want to be forced to watch the preshow movie every time I ride.

A couple of rides went all out with queue line theming but then the ride itself fails to keep the theme going. Mr Freeze is this way, with an elaborate station, music, etc... then you're blasted out into the sunlight and there's the freeway and the Mine Train and Batman and a bunch of midway games (SFOT version). WTF?

So yeah, if theming is done right and incorporated into the ride, it can be effective. But everything I've seen about NTG so far leads me to believe that it's a good enough ride that most folks aren't going to notice the flame cannons, let alone figure out why they're there.

^ I agree about Bizzaro, at least the one at SFNE. I think re-theming the rather generic looking Medusa at SFGadv to Bizarro was a good idea, since they already have a Superman coaster in Ultimate Flight... but re-theming Superman at SFNE was totally unnecessary.

I thought the lock box was an AL Gore thing...anyway, now that everything is clear, for the hell of it I'll get the list of rides still on the don't bring ur crap to the ride policy. Windy day, oil derek is closed so no ariel video

edit: looks like batman had the nazi crew first thing not letting you leave stuff, new crew, new rules, now we can leave stuff, weird, not sure what was up with that. They even have the drink cup holders which is a nice and welcome touch. Did notice the lack of locker atendants, a cost savings for sure.

Edited by chadster

I'm sure you would pick a B&M floorless at any time instead of a Vekoma LSM launch coaster.! But now wich one would you pick, - Rock 'n' Rollercoaster or Scream?... I'm sure you would pick Rock 'n' Rollercoaster...

I haven't ridden Scream, but I would not choose RnRC based on my experiences on other B&M Floorless coasters. RnRC after the sidewinder/cobra roll thingy is a yawn...but I would choose RnRC instead of one of its outdoor clones.

To add more to the theming debate, I would choose Dr. Doom's Fearfall over almost any S&S launch tower because of its theming, but would I choose it over at 200 foot or taller Intamin drop tower? I don't think so...

As for the new TG, I am so happy for SFoT and even more happy that I'll actually get to ride it in May. This looks so incredible, and I'm glad to hear the ride lives up to its looks. I think a lot of the general public that rides the new TG won't really know what's in store for them by looking at the ride, and man I will love seeing the looks on their faces.

I thought the lock box was an AL Gore thing...anyway, now that everything is clear, for the hell of it I'll get the list of rides still on the don't bring ur crap to the ride policy. Windy day, oil derek is closed so no ariel video

edit: looks like batman had the nazi crew first thing not letting you leave stuff, new crew, new rules, now we can leave stuff, weird, not sure what was up with that. They even have the drink cup holders which is a nice and welcome touch. Did notice the lack of fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo atendants, a cost savings for sure.

Yea, all the rules are the same about not bringing loose articles on the big rides, BUT they don't force you to use the lockers for the big'uns anymore...the rides (Titan, MR. Freeze, Batman all included) now all have some sort of on-platform storage area for your loose junk. Most rides have nice cupholder frames for us crazies and our season sports bottles...

Gosh, that first drop just doesn't seem fair! I'm sure this ride is gonna be a huge success. Judging from the pictures and on-ride video, this is no walk in the park! I'd sure love to go ride it, too bad I'm thousands of miles away!

I just came back from the park today. I thought it would be cool to show you guys the new park map design if you are interested.

DSC00172.JPG.a35ce75dc40601df084b746da30fb4e4.JPG

Here is the front

DSC00173.JPG.db1beb31b819deedb83eb2e8b438203f.JPG

I really like the new layout. It's about half the size of the old map which is awesome!

DSC00174.JPG.45ff464a918084c510429998050d9bc1.JPG

But the NTG is actually the same as the old maps.

That's a bummer NTG isn't a Flash Pass ride, I may have some lining up to do when I'm there this summer. I was also dismayed to also see that Shockwave isn't a Flash Pass coaster, which is another major attraction of SFOT for me, but maybe it doesn't get lines - I hope.

I took a bit of a chance stopping over in Arlington on the way to the east coast, not knowing whether NTG would be great or not. Now I'm very much looking forward to touching down at DFW in July, after being on the longest non-stop route I'm told: Sydney to Dallas, hope the plane has enough gas.