TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

While it most definitely is a steel coaster, I will say this...It didn't feel like a wood coaster. It didn't feel like a steel coaster. It really did, to me, feel like something completely new. I'm just not sure how to describe it.

I felt the same way when i got off of it it was something new, and it was a quiet ride not a lot of noise came from it except the screams.

Why don't we just call it a steel coaster, since that's what it is.

YES, it's a hybrid. Just like Gemini - which has always been called a steel coaster.

Just like Cedar Creek Mine Ride - which is a steel coaster.

Just like Excalibur - which is a steel coaster.

...conversely, there are lots of coasters with wood track and steel supports. They are also hybrids. They are also called wood coasters. There has never been a discussion, for example, about whether or not Voyage, Villian, Hades, or (yes!) the Coney Island Cyclone is a wood coaster.

The only reason this is even being discussed about Giant is because it used to be a wood coaster and because SFOT still refers to a "wooden coaster drop".

Let's drop it now, please.

Mmmm, I'm licking my chops just hearing about this. I think I need to find a way to Texas and ride this one.

And I would imagine that the wheels would need to be pretty tightly locked to the track (a la steel coasters), 'cause too much shuffling side-to-side could run the risk on hitting the bolts in the track.

Mmmm, I'm licking my chops just hearing about this. I think I need to find a way to Texas and ride this one.

And I would imagine that the wheels would need to be pretty tightly locked to the track (a la steel coasters), 'cause too much shuffling side-to-side could run the risk on hitting the bolts in the track.

Except for the fact that RMC said the bolts are farther apart than the width of a regular wood coaster's steel rail. If it were to shuffle side-to-side far enough to hit the bolts, then the Dinn version would seem smooth by comparison.

I always thought of this as a cheaper steel coaster, wood supports are cheaper to produce than steel and you could have overbanks steep drops and batshit airtime(proven by the giant)so theoretically you could create a copy of expedition geforce using wooden coaster trains and cheaper wood supports which now, with the leftover money you saved, you could add THEMING.

EDIT: According to coasterforce NTG is getting Bizarro/SFNE's fire effects.

Edited by crazywolf88

^I do agree with your statement that theming doesn't make good coasters. This has probably been said plenty of times, but, appropriate levels of theming can also make a coaster. Personally. I probably wouldn't regard Griffon as high as I do without its small but intricate theming to 18th/19th century France.

Soundtracks and sound effects are gimmicky and wasteful in my opinion. SFMM was smart in removing the terminator soundtrack. After hearing what is being played on the Bizarros... I don't know what Six Flags was thinking with them. Thematic elements like tunnels and headchoppers and object the coaster must flyby are fine with me but sometimes the Parks go too far.

A good coaster doesn't need theming. Terminator and X2, for example. Wasted money.

What the?! Sure they are great coasters, but theming does make a coaster much better!

Please?! if six flags could pack together there defect parking lot/comic book theme and did some real theming like Port Aventura, some theming that "works" like the one on Furius Baco it works, even if you don't physically notice.

It does something to the ride experience, something speciel. IMO

Theming only makes a ride better it's NEVER a "waste of money"! I would even say that a good coaster like scream at SFMM is getting badder because of the extreme lack of theming.

I'm sure you would pick a B&M floorless at any time instead of a Vekoma LSM launch coaster.! But now wich one would you pick, - Rock 'n' Rollercoaster or Scream?... I'm sure you would pick Rock 'n' Rollercoaster...

A good coaster doesn't need theming. Terminator and X2, for example. Wasted money.

I agree and disagree. *GOOD* theming absolutely CAN make a "meh" coaster much better.

I personally think that X2 is a better experience than X because of some elements they added. Sure, you can't hear the music after the lift hill, but I think the audio in the station and on the lift, combined with the fire effects actually DOES improve the ride.

Terminator, IMO, other than the tunnels with the red lights and mist, the rest of theming was wasted money. I don't think the fire adds anything to that ride, it's clear that the audio didn't work out, and the pre-show really needs to either go away, or not force people to watch it.

But take a coaster like Revolution at Bobbejaanland (similar to ex-Chaos at Opryland), that ride would be nothing if it wasn't for the excellent themeing!

Ever been on Express (Superman) at Walibi World? That ride just shows how much more the theming of Rock N Roller Coaster adds to the exact same layout of a coaster.

I think the main thing with theming is that, as a rule, Six Flags is generally terrible at doing it...compared to Disney, and Universal, at least.

For the most part, SF seems to think there's little more to theming than just putting a big S in front of the ride. I mean, they have the license to so many DC characters, and thank god Green Lantern is finally getting a shot in Magic Mountain...but most of the time, it's all batman and superman, batman and superman...it gets tiring.

Regarding theming, it really depends on the ride type, layout, etc. to determine the level of theming that you can do. I guess we can count tunnels as theming, so I'll use that for a few examples.

The Beast at KI doesn't have an obnoxious amount of theming, just enough to get the job done. The station looks like a run-down mine shack, and the tunnels definitely add something to the ride. I'm not saying that it would be a bad ride without the tunnels, but it definitely would be a different experience - especially in the final helix.

Also, Maverick may not have the best theming out there, but it gets the job done. The canyons are a nice touch, and add a little more thrill to the first part of the ride. The tunnel under the station is a nice part to have, and probably wouldn't be quite as fun if it were just an open launch under the station.

I'll take Robb's word on Terminator, since I haven't gotten out there yet. You can definitely enhance a ride with a little theming here and there, but too much could hinder the ride more than help it.