TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Well considering he said it was smooth, and VF's Excalibur, which is the same type of coaster as Gemini, is rough, I would say probably not.

I've been on both of the coasters you listed, and I can tell you from first hand experience, there is no comparison between the two IMO. Excalibur gives me a head ache after one ride and is not so much rough as it vibrates wickedly. Gemini is very smooth, much like a mine train coaster, IMO. I'll ride Gemini over and over, Excalibur not so much. So, no there is no comparison other than they are both steel hybrids that were made by Arrow.

I have a feeling after reading what the lucky riders wrote earlier that it feels nothing like any other steel tracked hybrid. Peace!

If you plan on going the day this ride opens, I must say that it is well worth the wait that there is most likely going to be on it! So much airtime, nothing to really compare it to in the entire park. The ride is super smooth and there were only 1 or 2 rough spots on the 5 times I rode it in the 2nd to back row. By far the most airtime I have encountered yet on a coaster yet and the banked turns were just amazing. The drop offers A LOT of airtime, as when you are in the back you're out of your seat for almost the entire drop. Seats are extremely comfortable, but I wouldn't offer advice to try and ride it if you are a larger build. Lap bars are like on Millennium Force, TTD or THBS, I would recommended to push it close to all the way down, as you still get a lot of airtime. Otherwise, great ride and personally rated 5 stars.

Did we ride the same New Texas Giant today? It was silky smooth and I didn't notice any rough spots at all (all of my rides were front or very back). Also, your comparison to MF and TTD is nothing but furthest from the truth. These lapbars don't "click" or anything...they lock as every little bit they are lowered down. I'm 6' and 260 lbs and barely fit on MF/TTD but these trains and lapbars are SUPER compatible for larger guests. They lapbars fit nice and snug while still giving plenty of room for airtime because of their design. As soon as they touch your legs snugly the green lights on the train (4 of them located inbetween rows 1 and 2 of each car) light up. I LOVED the trains.

Now that I'm home, does anyone want a super detailed revier of the ride? Or is that giving too much away

Oh well, from what I remember on TTD and MF the lap bars don't click and they go down as far as you want it. For me, they were a little uncomfortable since I rode it about 6 times in a row, but what I meant by the rough spot was before the MCBR in the 2nd to last row (the only row I rode) there was a little shaking in the train itself (which isn't that big of a problem.) Otherwise, I felt that it was still a great ride. And I do guess the seats were comfortable for larger guests, not saying you're huge, but I mean for the larger waisted people as the seats aren't that large themselves. And yes, the lapbars do seem a larger on this ride then MF or TTD, but they don't coverup your pockets, so if you want to bring phones or accessories on the ride, I would advise you not to as my ride partner lost his phone on the ride.

Also, the leg restraints in the 1st car of every train do get a little annoying after riding it multiple times, as there is not much padding on them. Anyway, that shouldn't take away from the wow factor of the ride.

^A cyborg coaster?

I'm encouraged by what I'm hearing about the Texas Giant. If the new track can make an old ride good or great again, the classification isn't important to me.

Exactly. I personally think it's a good idea. I don't believe Topper track has been installed on any coasters long enough yet for a park to see cost difference in maintenance. In theory it'll pay for itself in a few years I'd imagine.

I think the major difference between NTG and say Gemini at CP is the track shape. Tubular steel track is normal on a steel coaster, this track IS different. It isn't a wooden coaster I don't believe, but it isn't a tubular steel track coaster with wooden supports, either. It's a halfway point between the two. I'm very interested in getting to ride this, but with a year of college left, it probably won't happen this summer. Oh well, we'll have fun at SFOG anyway for the Deep South Bash!

With the wheel design of the new trains, are they somewhat "locked" to the track to prevent the sideways and up and down shuffle that you get with a traditional wood train? I believe this is kinda what differentiates the the 2 styles of ride. The majority of , if not all, steel coasters are relatively locked to the rails in order to perform the transitions associated with steel designs. This to me would say that the train is going to travel the exact spot on each section of rail and provide pretty much the same experience every time. With a wooden coaster you might not really notice but each ride gives a different experience somewhat.

Just my 2 cents.........does it really matter, bottom line is it is still a coaster, and it still looks to be a helluva ride regardless!

^Ah, so I had it backwards. Well, as long as the majority of the track is still wood I would still consider it to be a wooden coaster.

It's a tough call, especially if an entire coaster was re-tracked with that system. I think I'd want to still call it a wooden coaster just to piss off the wood coaster aficionados who will claim it's no longer a wood coaster, you know, the same people who want to make the claim that El Toro isn't a wood coaster either.

These people clearly have issues!

^Ah, so I had it backwards. Well, as long as the majority of the track is still wood I would still consider it to be a wooden coaster.

It's a tough call, especially if an entire coaster was re-tracked with that system. I think I'd want to still call it a wooden coaster just to piss off the wood coaster aficionados who will claim it's no longer a wood coaster, you know, the same people who want to make the claim that El Toro isn't a wood coaster either.

These people clearly have issues!

Now Robb it should be common knowledge that for a wooden coaster to be claimed as such, the track needs to consist of at least 80% Yellow Pine.

Hopefully someone senses my horrible attempt at sarcasm

From my ride experience, I feel that is has earned the best ride in the park award in my book. Maybe it will soon have another golden ticket award hanging in the station. I think it deserves it. I really appreciate the first drop and the small hill before the MCBR. Oh and lets not forget the drop under the first drop!

Wow jake GREAT review. Answers alot of questions. It wont ruin the ride for me at all. The same way before i rode boulderdash the reviews didnt nearly live up to the insanity of the ride. Its nice to have a top coaster outside of the east coast area.

It was great airtime i have never rode El Toro but this now the best ride at SFOT they did it right and needed this ride to get the thrills back at the park

Edited by joco07

I'm just so glad the ride isn't trimmed at ALL (there was one train during the entire shoot that got trimmed, not sure why but I'm sure there's a reason. Will be interesting to see how this works out with 3 trains running).

I was on that train that got trimmed and it did slow it down the coaster and made it a little less fun as the final air times weren't as big. I asked the ride operator why it happened she said "it just depended on how fast it was going"

Well now, it's nice to see that this coaster is apparently now born-again thrilling. Think of it, a coaster originally designed by Dinn corp, and it's actually fun to ride! Amazing!

Rocky Mountain needs to work their magic on Mean Streak and Darien Lake's Predator now, Pronto!