TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I don't understand, wooden roller coasters are renowned for their "wild and out of control" feel, and at times for their roughness (depending which wooden coaster). And here you have, from my point of view, one of the most wild and out of control looking roller coasters! I mean that mixture of wood and steel might not look good, but is sure as hell is wicked and the least bit scary... I think this is the future of "wooden" roller coasters or at least a step in a different direction.

I'm just saying, woodies are renowned for being wild. And now that you have one that looks wilder than ever, why is it being scrutinised?

That's just my five cents, and I know people are going to disagree with me which is okay... But that's just what I see

I like Rolling Thunder just fine! haha. Now back on topic!

A look at the webcam today reveals the second tunnel (and quite the odd looking thing it too) looks done. The roof follows the hill but the wall goes to the ground. They have taken every part of this ride out of the norm. Also there is a very substantial amount getting done with the catwalks. The catwalks should help give it more of a traditional look. I had actually forgotten they were still needing to be built for a while.

Link: http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/rides/TexasGiant.aspx

Also if some of you guys are in the area and want to go check it out, in the library on the UTA (University of Texas at Arlington) campus, up on the 6th floor is a history exhibit for SFOT. Lots of fun old pictures, maps, brochures, and souvenirs to look at!

I'm kinda iffy on the validity of the sign's reality...it just feels too perfect. I dunno.

FWIW, I heard from the Dippin Dots guy that there's a strong chance that the NTG will, in fact, be open on opening day, despite the fact that the official SFOT Facebook page specifically says that it will not. Course the Facebook page has no official opening date yet, and I'd like to hope/dream that there will maybe be a soft opening at least, but I'll hedge my bets with the official page for now.

Either way, I'll be there the 5th with bells on. Will definitely grab some pics

You think the park would intentionally lie and say the ride won't be open for opening weekend and then secretly open it? What's the point in that? I just don't see them doing that at all. I'd think they would want to promote their new $10 million ride a bit more than that...

Anyway I've heard April 30th as a potential opening day, as the park wants to throw a big 50th anniversary bash around that time (it's supposedly in their business plan for this season).

You think the park would intentionally lie and say the ride won't be open for opening weekend and then secretly open it? What's the point in that? I just don't see them doing that at all. I'd think they would want to promote their new $10 million ride a bit more than that...

I completely agree that it would make no sense. It probably is wishful thinking somewhere along the line getting misunderstood for fact.

Either way, they are planning a couple of big bashes throughout the season, so the April 30th date may be closer to reality.

^Isn't that only during the 50 day countdown from June 18-Aug5? Not the show but the cheerleaders I mean.

I was just looking at the park's webpage and it looks like four footers have been poured in the ride's infield making a nice big square. Could this be for the rumored flame throwing oil derrick?? If so that's going to be a nice BIG oil derrick! Or should I say "Giant" oil derrick?

Just to clarify, Screamscape says that the modifications that allegedly need to be done are to the TRAINS to keep riders from sticking their hands out the sides too far.

It also says that since the trains already have those "windows" on them to prevent such a thing, the rumor isn't exactly rock-solid.

If the problem does exist and if a train addition or modification to the "windows" is all that's needed to fix it, then it shouldn't delay the opening as much as a track or structure modification would.

Oh, great. Claustrophobia always ruins the fun.

Hopefully the (further) train modifications won't detract from the experience too much.