TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I'd like to congratulate all the crazy people on judging RMC once again for these supports. Really? You thought they were added after the first tests and had the guts to post in a TPR forum without looking back to make sure they were there before testing?? Oh man you guys ought to know better than that. I hang my hat to you for having the guts to be without getting the facts first. Sorry. Just reading these last few pages had me laughing.

On to the ride, I think those steel poles are tacky but I'm sure you won't notice them on the ride besides coming up to the midcourse (are we going to get some head choppers there? I hope so!) http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150134314860991&set=a.415802370990.210303.65853440990&pid=8399473&id=65853440990 It's a very unexpected approach but hey I'm sure it works great! haha. This ride is unique to say the least.

I haven't been following this project in awhile, but I kind of agree the steel and wood supports totally look 'awkward'. Don't really care about how it looks as long as it rides well, but come on, it does look odd!

I agree, I don't know why they decided to paint the steel track that shade of red- it just doesn't blend! Black would have been a little better, in my opinion.

I think the structure, and the steel reinforcements, look completely awesome in a - Wile E Coyote built this out of a big box that said "ACME" on the side - sort of way. Seriously, this thing is the most unreal, cartoonish, looking coaster that I've ever seen. I mean that in a good way.

You know, all this talk of how "bad" and "tacky" it looks is amusing, considering that those supports were already in place when they shot both the videos. None of us noticed the tackiness when we were spellbound watching the cars do their acrobatics through the layout. It took a closeup shot from a weird angle taken from a place at the bottom of the structure that none of us will be before we even noticed those supports.

...and now it's gone from "OMG that looks SWEEEEEET" to "OMG that looks BAD"

I'm guessing that when you're on the train getting your azz kicked with ejector air and overbanked turns that you aren't going to notice the supports then, either.

You know, all this talk of how "bad" and "tacky" it looks is amusing, considering that those supports were already in place when they shot both the videos. None of us noticed the tackiness when we were spellbound watching the cars do their acrobatics through the layout. It took a closeup shot from a weird angle taken from a place at the bottom of the structure that none of us will be before we even noticed those supports.

...and now it's gone from "OMG that looks SWEEEEEET" to "OMG that looks BAD"

I'm guessing that when you're on the train getting your azz kicked with ejector air and overbanked turns that you aren't going to notice the supports then, either.

THANK YOU!! I have been thinking the same thing from page 210-214. I never really noticed they were there until tues when the pics were posted on the facebook page. I personally dont think they probably look that bad when the ride is viewed as a whole. And there was some sort of attempt to blend them in seeing as how they were painted brown. Up until this week it was working, NO ONE NOTICED! Somebody takes a couple of close up photos and oh my the grits have hit the skillet. So i think we should just give it a rest cause at the end of the day I'm going to ride it and most likely love it steel support structure or not.

P.S. Wasn't there a big debate over it being called hybrid or wooden??? Well I think this just seals the deal for all the hybrid fans out there..... I'm just saying

^I fail to see how steel supports on the Texas Giant relates to the antenna problem on the iPhone.

But anyways, we are talking about something that will probably be a minor aesthetics issue. How it looks will have no effect on how the roller coaster will run or ride.

Edited by ernierocker

I'll take something that's ugly that's a great ride over something that looks great but is an average or lousy ride... coasters that is, I'm a little pickier on other fronts.

I'm psyched for this, by the time I get to ride it I'll have enough objective rider reports to know whether TG is great or not, but at the very least it should be fun.

^This.

If you want a perfect example of "looks great, rides like crap" then look no further than Goudurix:

http://www.rcdb.com/753.htm?p=24724

Beautiful. Now imagine that the transitions are more jarring than the worst SLC you've ever been on. Now imagine those transitions with these headrests:

http://www.rcdb.com/753.htm?p=30098

And no, those weird fins are NOT soft. I would ride the roughest wood coaster 100 times in a row before I will set foot on Goudurix again even once.

I don't recall anyone saying it wouldn't ride well because of how it looked. Sorta the same situation as people hating on the stickers on Intimidator last spring, people hating on the SF wrapped trains at all their properties, and rides that need repainting. Doesn't really affect the ride, but it still makes you chuckle on the inside.

I'm only speculating, but I'm imagining that it will ride somewhat like Gemini at CP which I really like personally. So at worst, I'm thinking it will be a fun ride like that, but looking at some of those elements - they look so radical, unless the train takes them slowly, this coaster could the near-death experince I love ina ride.

I'm only speculating, but I'm imagining that it will ride somewhat like Gemini at CP which I really like personally. So at worst, I'm thinking it will be a fun ride like that, but looking at some of those elements - they look so radical, unless the train takes them slowly, this coaster could the near-death experince I love ina ride.

I can't think of anything that Gemini and TG have in common other than steel track and wood structure. Even the track is very different: round pipe vs flat I-beams.

Gemini isn't all that fast, has a ton of really slow turns, very little airtime, and its main selling point it racing.

Giant is steep, fast, has extreme elements, and looks to be an airtime monster.

Kinda like comparing a station wagon and a MINI Cooper because they both have rubber tires and run on gas.

I'm thinking that we're all in for a completely new kind of coaster experience. A mixture of the out-of-control feelings of a woodie with the smoothness and acrobatics of a steelie.

A mixture of the out-of-control feelings of a woodie with the smoothness and acrobatics of a steelie.

But I thought they already did that with El Toro...

Smoothness, yes. Acrobatics, no.

Overbanked turns have, up till now, been exclusive to steelies with pipes for rails. This is a first for flat track.