TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I've been a lurker around here for a long time, but all I have to say about the New Texas Giant is this...HOLY EFF! As SFOT is technically my home park (I grew up in the D-FW area), I think the new Giant's gonna shatter all expectations and hopefully win some major awards.

Hopefully I can be able to make it to Arlington when TPR visits.

I think the new Giant's gonna shatter all expectations and hopefully win some major awards.

Major awards?

I'm sure that it will be in the running for some IAAPA accolades, and perhaps some Amusement Today "golden tickets", but the one "award" that the rest of the industry is going to be paying attention to is whether or not the increased attendance and reduced maintenance costs mean that SFOT is going to recover the $10M they spent on this project. The quicker this upgrade gets in the black, the more coasters we're likely to see on RMC's to-do list.

So I guess I'll say it. If they ended up needing steel supports anyway, why didn't they just tear it completely down and build a steel coaster? They could have designed the layout the same way with steel supports. Now it's just starting to look silly, cheap, and almost even like a hack job. I'm sure the ride will still be fun, no matter how ridiculous steel supports holding up wooden supports holding up steel track looks.

So I guess I'll say it. If they ended up needing steel supports anyway, why didn't they just tear it completely down and build a steel coaster? They could have designed the layout the same way with steel supports. Now it's just starting to look silly, cheap, and almost even like a hack job. I'm sure the ride will still be fun, no matter how ridiculous steel supports holding up wooden supports holding up steel track looks.