TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

He said "they aren't going to open for one weekend" when in fact they did last year. I assumed he missed the part of my post that indicated that. My point is, the fact that it is their off season didn't deter them from opening on the weekend of the 14th last year for a much smaller scale event.

I did also look at their calender thinking they were a year-round park (at least on weekends), but was surprised when I saw they weren't.

^I get what you're saying, and I can only think of two things....

1) Last year was closer to the scheduled opening date, and perhaps the staff for the upcoming season were ready to go befor hand

2) The park anticipates the crowds will not be interested in going to the park, which in turn compliments the company's recent cost cutting measures.

2) The park anticipates the crowds will not be interested in going to the park, which in turn compliments the company's recent cost cutting measures.

I don't think that NBA gig was much of a money maker for them. I was kinda shocked when they announced, seemed like a waste of resources to open for four days, then down again for three weeks to me.

Very true points...maybe the NBA game was sort of like a test run for this year, which didn't go so well.

It snowed 12 inches on the Thursday before the All Star game and the park was closed all weekend except for Monday for cleanup and downed trees. The weather in North Texas at this time of year makes it awfully risky to rush through a short off season when the it may be a dud.

A video of a full-train test run was shown at the Winterfest ACE event. I think they mentioned it should be online soon. Not many updates beyond that.

And to briefly skip back to another topic, similar to the weather when Six Flags opened for the All-Star game, the metroplex is currently experiencing some more horrid winter weather just in time for the Super Bowl. I'm sure the park is glad it stayed closed.

It's snowing like crazy here in DFW today. The engineers probably won't be working on the Giant today. Blizzard for our standards. Stuck at work though, Equinox doesn't close ever. Hopefully someone can get down to the park to take pics of the Giant in the snow. Would look really pretty today. Everything is white.