TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Actually Gerstlauer has made trains for 10 different woodies however 4 of the 10 are not in operation currently. I personally haven't been on any of their wooden coaster trains so can't comment on what kind of experience they provide.

They are awful rather than awe-ful. I was pretty shocked when I heard that SFOT went with G-trains for their $10mil guinea pig. You'd think that they would go with a company that has a proven crowd-pleasing record and Gerstlauer is not it. Holiday World's Legend ran G-trains initially, I believe, and it's popularity increased once they were replaced with PTCs.

Mega Zeph is the only coaster with G-trains that has ever sat in my top 10.

Having said that, this is not a wood coaster. Gerstlauer also makes steel coaster rolling stock and those seem to be just fine. We'll just have to wait and see.

Harry Traver must be sitting up in heaven saying, "So THAT'S how to build my Crystal Beach Cyclone!"*

This one aught to be interesting to see what happens. Are we looking at that first "revolutionary" design of the new decade?

*That design is IMHO that much closer to reality with this style of track.

Harry Traver must be sitting up in heaven saying, "So THAT'S how to build my Crystal Beach Cyclone!"*

This one aught to be interesting to see what happens. Are we looking at that first "revolutionary" design of the new decade?

*That design is IMHO that much closer to reality with this style of track.

I would absolutely love for the Cyclone to be rebuilt to modern standards. It's on the top of my list of "coasters I wish I could ride but were demolished before I was born". The Coney Island Tornado is another one.

Off topic.

I'm not really concerned about the Gerstlauer trains, although they certainly don't make for the best experiences on woodies. I do like the design and colors, and I think the shields provide a theming aspect as well as a practical one.

If the NTG really does act a little like the wooden coaster it once was, that'll make it even better! I'm liking the comparisons to the Crystal Beach Cyclone.

Thank you for giving MZ credit. That ride rocked in '04 and '05, but it had a deservedly harsh reputation before that. SFI did retracking of the ride before the 2004 season started and--I think--removed the trick track along with smoothing out the double-up that caused a lot of knee jamming against the lapbars.

Oh well, Katrina happened.

I'm going to be hopefull about the Gerslauer rolling stock. They've produced good rides since they've stopped doing wooden trains, though not all have been quoted as smooth rides. We'll see, I guess. The ultimate test will be the trains' endurance over time.

I thought it was decided a long time ago that this was a steel coaster, just with a wooden structure?

If so, why are we complaining about Gerstlauer making the trains?

Because these trains are still similar to those that ran on wood coasters in the past and Gerstlauer doesn't have a great record there.

THEY ARE STEEL COASTER TRAINS... and they look freaking awesome.

I prefer to wait and judge the cars on how they run and not how they look

^Yes, Colossus has sections tracked with steel I-beam track, BUT the trains are normal wood coaster trains with STEEL wheels. Steel on steel typically doesn't provide a smooth ride. One of the big considerations is that the trains are polyurethane, which based on Gerstlauer's steel coasters, gives me more hope.

I thought it was decided a long time ago that this was a steel coaster, just with a wooden structure?

If so, why are we complaining about Gerstlauer making the trains? Alright, they have made some bad wooden coaster trains... BUT THIS IS A STEEL COASTER. THEY ARE STEEL COASTER TRAINS... and they look freaking awesome.

Um - I think that is exactly what most of us have said...

Six Flags just posted a picture of the front of the last Texas Giant train on their website. It looks like the colors of the trains will be black red and blue. You can see the red train in the background. This also confirms that they have all 3 trains on site. From the looks of the building, it appears to be one of the sheds behind the Texas Giant and Music Mill Ampitheater.

http://www.facebook.com/sixflagsovertexas

giant.jpg.899596757092500c6726faf3a385abef.jpg

Edited by OFFice357

Actually Gerstlauer has made trains for 10 different woodies however 4 of the 10 are not in operation currently. I personally haven't been on any of their wooden coaster trains so can't comment on what kind of experience they provide.

They are awful rather than awe-ful. I was pretty shocked when I heard that SFOT went with G-trains for their $10mil guinea pig. You'd think that they would go with a company that has a proven crowd-pleasing record and Gerstlauer is not it. Holiday World's Legend ran G-trains initially, I believe, and it's popularity increased once they were replaced with PTCs.

Having said that, this is not a wood coaster. Gerstlauer also makes steel coaster rolling stock and those seem to be just fine. We'll just have to wait and see.

The gerstlauer trains on wooden coasters usually make wooden coasters rough because of their wheel setup, but custom gerstlauer trains, such as the ones on Mammut at Tripsdrill, ride VERY well because they are designed to suit the track. And these trains are basically for a steel coaster so they should have NO problem and will probably have been the best trains they could have gotten for the ride.

^Yeah, the line's going to be pretty massive. Sadly, you're probably right about the Platinum Pass ride not allowing you to ride twice in a row. Knowing me, I'll probably wait over and over until I get tired of riding it! I'm going on my birthday, so I'm taking two friends with me. I told them about the renovation and that the line is going to be extremely long, and they were both pretty bummed when they realized they were going to have to wait so long. That is until they saw pictures of The New TG!

Ehh...on weekends it will be crowded, and during spring break, but go on any weekday during the summer and max you'll wait is probably 20 minutes, similar to what the titan is like now in the summer. A lot of coaster enthusiasts are excited about this coaster, but to the general public, at least from who I've talked to, just think its a retracked version of the Texas Giant.

Ehh...on weekends it will be crowded, and during spring break, but go on any weekday during the summer and max you'll wait is probably 20 minutes, similar to what the titan is like now in the summer. A lot of coaster enthusiasts are excited about this coaster, but to the general public, at least from who I've talked to, just think its a retracked version of the Texas Giant.

...until it opens. Word of mouth on this thing locally is going to be massive. Expect an advertising blitz as well, esp with it being the 50th anniversary.