TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

This coaster looks so Awesome. I have to say three years ago the ride ended our day of fun because my sons head hurt so bad he threw-up. I am a bit confused as to how the cars stay on the red portion of track. Are they going to add wood on top and then a metal track? Sorry, red neck from Missouri trying to figure out how this beast will run.

^It won't effect the smoothness over time. The storage of coasters on their track is said to create flat spots on the wheel materials allowing some thumping and wheel wear, but that's not going to effect the ride over time. As wheels come and go it may change slightly but it will only ever get so bad, and certainly shouldn't cause any problems.

Looking good, as per usual.

I'm getting more and more thankful for those anti-reach shields every time I see photos of this ride, heh heh.

This coaster looks so Awesome. I have to say three years ago the ride ended our day of fun because my sons head hurt so bad he threw-up. I am a bit confused as to how the cars stay on the red portion of track. Are they going to add wood on top and then a metal track? Sorry, red neck from Missouri trying to figure out how this beast will run.

This track cross section picture from the IAAPA thread should help explain it.

I was NEVER anticipating anything in the business more than the first reviews of this thing. This could EASILY be a number one ride from the looks. And the airtime one the first hill has to be hilarious...let alone the TREE (!) overbanks in a row !

When there will be first test runs I still wouldnt be surprised if the train will rip the whole structure into pieces...

And if noone will be hurt, then I think I wont be able to stop laughing for probably a week (maybe two or three... )

But if its not falling into pieces...if it wont be too rough...then I could easily imagine this one taking Expedition GeForces Steelie-Crown !

George "must...book..flight..to...texas" T.

I'm a little worried about that track alignment. This would be the first modern steel coaster to need it; its one thing when working with many sheets of much-more-flexible wood (even the prefab stuff) but the curvature of the steel rails is pretty much, well, set in steel. Does anybody know (or know of a pic that can show) if the holes in the track used for bolting it to the supports were drilled in the shop or on site? Hopefully it didn't come to the point where they had to modify the track on-site in order to fit it to the old, slightly warped wood structure. I would expect the company who's produced the Intamin plug 'n' play track to have this down, but working with two separated steel rails is a new challenge that I hope they've accounted for.

On another note, is it 100% known that Intamin didn't have any part in this? The trackwork shows signs of an Intamin coaster and I'm a little skeptical that Rocky Mountain could do this all on their own given their relatively new status in the field. Even when Giovanola entered the design field, the track work was very drawn-out and conservative in terms of complexity, with a possible miscalculation accounting for how intense the helix finales ended up being (which necessitated the harsh mcbr in both mega coasters and the extra helix that can be seen in the background of some of these construction pics). This new Giant trackwork, however, seems pretty complex.

Actually Gerstlauer has made trains for 10 different woodies however 4 of the 10 are not in operation currently. I personally haven't been on any of their wooden coaster trains so can't comment on what kind of experience they provide.

Actually Gerstlauer has made trains for 10 different woodies however 4 of the 10 are not in operation currently. I personally haven't been on any of their wooden coaster trains so can't comment on what kind of experience they provide.

The current G-Trains don't have a great reputation on woodies. They look great, but for some reason, produce rougher and rougher rides as time goes on (Cheetah at Wild Adventures and The Boss at SFStL). After a SUBSTANTIAL re-tracking, Cheetah was running wonderfully this year, but the Boss...front seat ride or spinal tap - you decide.

These trains, however, are actually on steel, not wood, so I'd be more apt to make contrasts and such with their steel car designs. With allowances made for what Chadster said above ^^ beat me to it.

David

I'm a little worried about that track alignment. This would be the first modern steel coaster to need it; its one thing when working with many sheets of much-more-flexible wood (even the prefab stuff) but the curvature of the steel rails is pretty much, well, set in steel. Does anybody know (or know of a pic that can show) if the holes in the track used for bolting it to the supports were drilled in the shop or on site? Hopefully it didn't come to the point where they had to modify the track on-site in order to fit it to the old, slightly warped wood structure. I would expect the company who's produced the Intamin plug 'n' play track to have this down, but working with two separated steel rails is a new challenge that I hope they've accounted for.

On another note, is it 100% known that Intamin didn't have any part in this? The trackwork shows signs of an Intamin coaster and I'm a little skeptical that Rocky Mountain could do this all on their own given their relatively new status in the field. Even when Giovanola entered the design field, the track work was very drawn-out and conservative in terms of complexity, with a possible miscalculation accounting for how intense the helix finales ended up being (which necessitated the harsh mcbr in both mega coasters and the extra helix that can be seen in the background of some of these construction pics). This new Giant trackwork, however, seems pretty complex.

It may have something to do with Stengel GmbH being involved with TGII, and fabrication differences between the B&M-like track that Giovanola had to manufacture, and the steel rails and ledgers that RMC had to manufacture. Its possible that Titan and Goliath have those qualities mentioned because Giovanola did not have the ability to manufacture more complex track pieces that I imagine may be much easier to manufacture if it is simply two separate rails and new steel ledgers. Advances in computer technology and design methods may have also enhanced the ability to design such pieces with greater accuracy. Look at Intimidator 305 vs Millennium Force. Intimidator has batshit insane twisty bits, and MF has much slower transitions. I305 also has much more efficient lift supports that MF's lattice structure which was billed as top-of-the line engineering in 2000.

READ: However, I am not incredibly familiar with the design and manufacture of roller coaster track, and I'm only saying what makes logical sense to me having such limited knowledge.

If you are not turned-on by those OMFG over-banked turns on this glorious ride, then you are no enthusiast. This ride looks amazing. Makes me want to spend money to visit this park. I only wish Cedar Fair will do this for Mean Streak and Son of Beast.