TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I just got back from the park today. My camera died on me because of how cold it was, but I managed to get a few pictures. The park was completely dead...they even let people park in preferred parking for the price of normal parking because the park was that dead. Anyways...I didn't notice much new on the Texas Giant, BUT they had a significant amount of the tunnel in place for the magic carpet. I wish I had some pictures of it, but the best views were from the top of the Titan. It appears that the tunnel starts right before the turn below the 105 degree banked turn (if that makes any sense)

^Actually, it's an old custom that steel workers do each time they top out a building. In fact, it stems from a long line of ancient traditions involving construction. There's a good read on the subject here: http://www.modernsteel.com/Uploads/Issues/December_2000/0012_05_christmas.pdf

Can't wait to hear the first reviews. I'm giving strong thought to driving down there from OKC during spring break.

^agreed, but I'm going to take a wait-n-see approach. It's possible that there could be effects in the tunnel that can also create the illusion of heightened speed

Having said that, I generally prefer that a coaster achieve its thrills from the action of the coaster rather than any effects. Those effects can (and do) fail and then all you're left with is the ride itself. It looks like this Giant will have plenty going for it in that department, too, so no worries.

I am just DEVESTATED about any changes being made to the ending that SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN NAMED . Actually, I'll wait and see. Personally - in its original form, that ending needed nothing. Absolutely nothing. Having ridden this coaster something like 15 years ago and still remembering the absolute insanity of the last little bit of the ride - it had enough of an impact.

I'm just happy that parks are making the effort in adding themeing to the rides vs just plopping them down and putting up a queue line. I'd much rather them spend money to theme a mouse or whatever than spend money on cold stone, johnny rockets out your rear, or papa john. In this case, I think the tunnel will add to the experience, especially at night.

I'm just happy that parks are making the effort in adding themeing to the rides vs just plopping them down and putting up a queue line. I'd much rather them spend money to theme a mouse or whatever than spend money on cold stone, johnny rockets out your rear, or papa john. In this case, I think the tunnel will add to the experience, especially at night.

The food chains pay a pretty heavy rent for locations inside the park. I wouldn't be surprised if the money spent by the park to put those in gets returned in a season or two - assuming the franchise didn't pony up the funds to put it in there in the first place.

Theming on a coaster, though, is pretty much just money spent. Make the ride better? Sometimes. Gets as big a return on the investment? Probably not.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't do it, but it is certainly a consideration when it comes to budgeting a park.

One thing to be noted is that not all companies pay to be in the park, several parks pay for the franchises which is why six flags is getting rid of them. Take Johnny Rockets, 49k franchise fee plus royalties. And since these units are not open 365 days a year it's a fair bet they either have negotiated a flat yearly fee or adjust the % point paid on gross sales to make it fair and reasonable for the franchisee and franchiser.

On the themeing subject, IMO, the fire on Bizarro made it better as did the sound, The Dark Knight is considerably better than just riding a standard mouse, and the launch on Hulk wouldn't be what it is without the additions.

Chadster, since selling restaurant franchises to customers like Six Flags is what I do for work, I can say with certainty EVERY company within a Six Flags park has paid to be there. Franchisors waive their fee and royalties, and will even discount the product delivered to the park. For example, when I worked for Baskin' Robbins, Six Flags told us they wouldn't pay any fees and wanted to buy our product at our cost. Needless to say, we said thanks, but no thanks and walked away from the deal.

'Lo everyone.

The trains look awesome (although the longhorns on the front of the car, while a southern staple at times, seems silly to me but I'm not Texan so my opinion may not be valid). The low-profile of the sides and back of each car practically guarantee ridiculous hairtime with little of the "assault with a deadly coaster" damage that you used to get out of it. While I have never ridden it, I know some who have and they said TG was a rough s.o.b. The revamped tracking and (ZOMG) the revamped first drop looks amazing. I'm guessing T Express/El Toro-influence in the severity of the pitch. The redone curves and other tracking look great, and I agree: the ride looks meaner than Titan. I cannot wait to ride this bad boy now!

Off-topic somewhat: are they going to do any structural/train rethinking for Judge Roy? It was smooth when I rode it 30 years ago, but I imagine it's not as much now. While not an extreme thriller, would be great to see them do similar TLC and refinement for the Judge.

Off-topic somewhat: are they going to do any structural/train rethinking for Judge Roy? It was smooth when I rode it 30 years ago, but I imagine it's not as much now. While not an extreme thriller, would be great to see them do similar TLC and refinement for the Judge.

I haven't heard about anything major being done to the Judge, other than the small amounts of rehab they seem to put various sections through in the off-season. There are some spots on it that are surprisingly rough for such a small wooden coaster, one being after the big second hill where the train just slams riders down and it feels like some sort of chiropractic adjustment. But none that rivaled the Giant's roughness, so I doubt we'll be seeing much from Judge anytime soon.

While Judge is really in need of some smoothing in some of the pull outs, let it be a woodie. This kind of thing is just unnecessary for a ride Judge's size. I'm hardly a fan of Judge by any stretch for it's lack of excitement, or airtime. Suffering through it's roughness just doesnt pay off like Giant did, however it is one of only 3 woodies in Texas now, and if Rattler gets the Rocky Mountain makeover that only leaves 2. Just leave it a true woodie... but God I really do hate Judge. haha. It looks great out there by the lake but can we trade it for CP's Blue Streak??

I'm surprised no one has talked about this yet. In the investors document from November, there's a picture of what looks like the fire from SFNE's Bizarro on NTG. Plus, from the looks of it, it is going to be themed into something.

If you still have the document, it's on page 30. It gives you a better look other than the screen shot.

922211802_Screenshot2011-01-02at4_46_51PM.png.7fc6a25142b44e0b4d56247eff4da76a.png

Looks like fire to me? Is that an oil derrick with it also?

^Well I don;t remember where it was but on Six Flags New England's Twitter (I believe) confirmed that the flame cannons from Bizarro were being sent down to be used for theming on the Giant. I may have to find that. And if they do that to maybe an oil derrick, I'd probably jizz my pants and give them an A for creativeness. Unless it looks like something out of the RCT3. Then I'll be disappointed.

Just got back from the park, still alot of work to complete on the giant. They are aligning track, installing new air gates, and look to have two tracks in the maintenance bay to complete as well as the loading of the other two trains. 9 weeks to go until opening weekend for the park, at this point I would think they would want to be testing by the end of Jan or first of Feb to be able to open with the park, guess we'll see! In the meantime, here are some additional pictures for you to enjoy!

**EDIT** If you would like to use my pictures on another site, feel free, however, please give credit to TPR or Myself, heck if you PM me, I might even be willing to send you the full sized images. Many Thanks!

182253020_SFOT1.2.11008.thumb.JPG.895cbe8b8c54affe9757f715099bc4dc.JPG

working on the top lift chain mechanism area

1609489646_SFOT1.2.11015.JPG.e8f8ca9af5f550e1aaad4001bb2ab84f.JPG

1073711486_SFOT1.2.11019.JPG.41f64897c169b1381b9dcaa961cca9ca.JPG

work is still on going on the lift

891376331_SFOT1.2.11021.JPG.fc0b93bfff4c77e00644730fa661bda8.JPG

classic shot

1543713547_SFOT1.2.11032.JPG.4b02ba17f871bc96a6e537d0137c3bf2.JPG

backside of one of the OMFG turns

250500802_SFOT1.2.11035.thumb.JPG.5ac5df9f667ec0fa8da60f6dd0e78fdb.JPG

and the front side

617649867_SFOT1.2.11025.JPG.a7ff8db21358b2f94c6863810d3705bd.JPG

lets see, how about some track aligning?

1419473831_SFOT1.2.11034.JPG.9642e959aa642288c0a2933ed249548a.JPG

notice the bolts missing

478718550_SFOT1.2.11043.JPG.6c3b0d84ede6ab76260616a7a2fb406c.JPG

around to the lift area

562811175_SFOT1.2.11041.thumb.JPG.51fb545b03a7cba093481ab56669f095.JPG

the safety railings have been installed on the transfer track, but no sign of track rails installed in bays 1 or 3

7705123_SFOT1.2.11044.JPG.6cb2249952d947d0439a10fb0b9424dd.JPG

sexy

789902307_SFOT1.2.11048.JPG.0f553d61103f018ee9f5d72bee38e6d9.JPG

new air gates going in

690373764_SFOT1.2.11051.thumb.JPG.2f9fa13b6a7dac0ff425e8fdd60043d5.JPG

backside shot

631844833_SFOT1.2.11052.thumb.JPG.82852bb5b3134d288446975e4ebea903.JPG

and finally

Edited by ernierocker