TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

While those shows are indeed funny to watch (for all of the wrong reasons of course) the good thing that comes out of it is competition amongst the parks to win a title, even if the "Most EVAR!" do come off as a bit manufactured at times.

I do propose this though:

Who thinks that on the next TPR trip a spoof video should be made with some unsuspecting GP patron who really is afraid of these things. Over the course of the video, you broker a deal that you'll do x if they do y. Simple smooth talk, crazy stunts, prizes, etc. Just as long as they finally over come a fear and ride something allowing you to tape it. Call it Robb the Enabler and i guarantee you it would be a) more interesting than the real thing and b) funnier.

But clearly it has viewers, because, while I was shocked to see it renewed for a 2nd season, it did get renewed!

Sheesh! If he wants to "conquer" something, make him sit through an episode of his own show.....or "Ghost Adventures". Then I'll be impressed.

And just to remain somewhat on the thread topic. The trains look nice.

I loved his comments on the Busch Gardens Tampa episode how he so passionately described Montu as the 'Longest, Tallest, Fastest Inverted coaster in FLORIDA!!!"haha. According to the show Maxair is also somehow the largest ride of its kind in the world?, must be 6 inches wider and 2 mph faster than Delirium haha.

Maybe I'm wrong here but Ive been going to Cedar Point for a long time and have never heard of the Fearsome Foursome Challenge until that show. Even if the thing is real you can hardly walk from Magnum to Wicked Twister to Millinium to Dragster in an hour none the less ride all four coasters in an hour. That whole thing had to be fake, or they let him to the front of the lines which would again make it fake.

The show is clearly not targeted towards coaster enthusiasts so I cant be that mad at it, but as an enthusiasts it does kinda piss me off a little bit. Probably the same way that real food fans get mad at shows like Diners Drive in's and Dives or Man vs Food.

You people are seriously complaining about a new TV show that's main focus is roller coasters and thrill rides? Forget what it's called, just be glad it's a show about our favorite hobby. I don't particularly care for the name either but I think the show is done well enough, and the host isn't totally dislikeable.

And of course these shows aren't geared toward coaster enthusiasts, why would they produce a show geared toward such a tiny percentage of people? So of course he's going to exaggerate the rides and make them seem bigger-than-life... Because 99.9998% of viewers would fall asleep or change the channel if instead he talked about trim brakes or blocking procedures.

No, the glaring issue with "Conquerer" is the ass-backwards way it tries to present any ride. Should a coaster show really be

"Here we go on Cedar Points GemeniiiiiiiiiiiAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH O SH-- AH" and more of his girly, yet batsh-- insane screaming to keep in tune a 37 year old mom?

It's the general problem with a techie/geeky/niche thing like coasters going mainstream. Whenever video games go mainstream like the Wii or the Video Game Awards, they're panned. Star Trek: The Next Generation-panned. I don't want to sit back and say, "This asshat is really doing something for the thrill ride community, 'conquering' roller coasters and their manufactured claims in an arbitrary amount of time."

When you compare the Big Mike Road Show to Bert the Conquerer in terms of quality and mainstream popularity, how can you not get pissed?

Also, Texas Giant... <3

I actually got to participate in filming for Bert the conquerer today. They invited all employees to bring a friend and ride Titan today. Everyone had to sign video-release forms for the show. They just cycled train after train of employees and friends. We will return tomorrow morning for the filming of Mr. Freeze. It's awesome because we get to ride during off season. It would have been really cool if they had waited until next season for the Texas Giant.

One thing I would like to see Bert Conquer, ride Titan 5 times back to back. If you come back to the station after 5 times without blacking out or some bodily damage, I'd be impressed. Six Flags management actually won't allow back to back rides because it is too stressful on the GP's bodies. If nobody is in the station, you still have to walk around through the queue again.

Well said. Totally my exact thoughts on it. It's like I said, if the show is really a "theme park show", then it should be called that. But don't tell me you gotta be some insane lunatic thrill seeker to "conquer" Thunderhead at Dollywood...

--Robb "He's conquering rides made for families." Alvey

Here is what the show is aiming to be about.

"Bert comes to town an amateur and leaves a conqueror.

Thrill-seeker Bert Kreischer takes viewers to the legendary events, competitions and adrenaline rushes that celebrate local culture. He experiences the most hilariously absurd, undeniably dangerous and hands-down insane challenges small-town America has to offer.

Whether Bert's attempting to walk across "The Greasy Pole" in Gloucester, MA, catfish noodlin’ in Knoxville, TN, or taking on Cedar Point’s "Fearsome Foursome" roller-coaster challenge in Sandusky, OH, he'll stop at nothing to showcase what the locals do for fun.

Best known as a comedian, Bert travels the country meeting the passionate people who participate in these backyard adventures, experiencing the annual traditions that rally small towns and screaming his lungs out on thrill rides across the country.

Get ready to laugh."

I pulled that text from http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Bert_the_Conqueror/About_The_Show

If you are viewing it with this in mind it makes it better in my opinion. It's just about having fun, and showing people some fun things to do and places to go.

One thing I would like to see Bert Conquer, ride Titan 5 times back to back. If you come back to the station after 5 times without blacking out or some bodily damage, I'd be impressed. Six Flags management actually won't allow back to back rides because it is too stressful on the GP's bodies. If nobody is in the station, you still have to walk around through the queue again.

I've decided today that our nation is full of wusses. (Actually I belive I tweeted a dirty word instead of wusses!)

I could ride Titan for days. It's not going to kill you, you don't need to walk around. Note, I'm not bashing you or SFoT...there are plenty of parks that pull this BS. I just wish people had personal responsibility. Know your limits, if the ride is too intense for you don't ride again. For the rest of us, don't punish us for being stronger! Natural selection baby!

Really? I didn't know that was a policy. When we visited a couple of years ago for the Season Passholder Appreciation Day, they gave us morning ERT on Titan for an hour and they would just cycle us over and over again without even having to get off the train. Sure a blacked out a couple times, but I lived!

So what's at SFOT that would justify Bert the Conqueror filming for two days this week?
Titan was filmed today, and yes Mr. Freeze is being filmed tomorrow.

Am I the only one who just cannot stand this show? My biggest beef with it is that it's called "Bert the Conqueror", but he's not "conquering" anything that's impressive. Like, when he did the Stratosphere tower rides, or the SCAD Jump, ok. That's fine. But Mr. Freeze? Canobie's Space Shot??? I'm sorry, but millions of people every year "conquer" Millennium Force. It's one thing if you're going to make a "roller coaster show", that's fine, but you're not a "conqueror" when 8 year old kids ride the same things as you are.

The show is garbage. Just my opinion...

I totally agree with you Robb! The show sucks and hes hyping up all these rides that are at many parks like S%S's screaming swing. And I dont like how the show mixes theme parks with local challenges or traditions that have NOTHING to do with theme parks or thrill rides, there kind of a weird mix. But I do give the show props for going to smaller parks and not just these big parks that every one has heard of.

It may be a new policy set in place. My buddy is the lead Ride-Op for the Titan. He says people give him major grief about the policy when they purchase a Flash Pass Platinum. The platinum flash pass allows riders 2 consecutive rides on every ride, except Titan. They have to cycle another train through before allowing the riders back into the train. Maybe there is another reason behind the policy, but that's what his supervisor's inform the park guests whenever the issue arrises.

Back onto the Giant, it would be another great ride for Bert to "conquer" with all it's firsts. I can't wait for opening day to conquer it myself, already renewed my season pass. Now we play the waiting game.

One thing I would like to see Bert Conquer, ride Titan 5 times back to back. If you come back to the station after 5 times without blacking out or some bodily damage, I'd be impressed.

Rode it for a straight 1.5 hours earlier this year during SP ERT I'd guess 30 cycles easy. Only problem I had, is after an hour, it started to get old and I was ready for something else.

So what's at SFOT that would justify Bert the Conqueror filming for two days this week?
Titan was filmed today, and yes Mr. Freeze is being filmed tomorrow.

Am I the only one who just cannot stand this show? My biggest beef with it is that it's called "Bert the Conqueror", but he's not "conquering" anything that's impressive. Like, when he did the Stratosphere tower rides, or the SCAD Jump, ok. That's fine. But Mr. Freeze? Canobie's Space Shot??? I'm sorry, but millions of people every year "conquer" Millennium Force. It's one thing if you're going to make a "roller coaster show", that's fine, but you're not a "conqueror" when 8 year old kids ride the same things as you are.

The show is garbage. Just my opinion...

+1^

I believe it was Elissa who said when it debuted: "I think this show is EVERYTHING that's wrong with coaster shows!" (And I agree!)

I think people ride amusement rides because they instinctively know there's a huge margin of safety involved. It can hardly be considered an extreme hobby. Now, those guys who climb the notoriously deadly north faces of mountains that used to take days to climb in 2-3 hours with no safety ropes. I think they're more properly described as "conquerors".

800px-Ueli-steck-2007.jpg.c5789891bb7350556167c9f438fa9e0f.jpg

Ueli Steck, a real conqueror.