TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^^ I think its some sort of Iron Workers tradition. I have seen it done a number of times on construction sites.

Yeah, I've seen it on a lot with office building construction, but never on a coaster. Although, I'm sure it's not the first time.

Okay, so I have been a long time observer and have never posted. However, with some time off for the holidays, I have decided to take the few minutes to register so I could comment on the construction of TG2. I do not live close by SFOT but this ride is going to force me to make a trip back down to Texas. Wow! All the new elements, the big drop, and smooth sexy track are a big turn on. This and Cheetah hun are the two most interesting projects I see transpiring over the winter. Its not even close. I hope the experience is as sexy as the aesthetics. Congrats SFOT, this looks to be a winner: )

Hello TPR members

^I'm loving the description of Texas Giant that the train operator gives.

I'm very happy that I got to ride Texas Giant back in 2008, I actually liked it. But looking at this, Mamma Mia!!! This thing looks like a total behemoth next to the midway, and that drop is still jaw-dropping! Still hoping they don't trim it, but I can't change that! The sad thing, I probably won't get a chance to ride this in the next 5 years...

Thanks for that video, definitely cool "seeing" it via video, rather than just looking at pictures!

This thing really does look like a pipe dream from some coaster nerd somewhere, incredible that it's actually being done....and will be opening in the next several months! Certainly hope it goes smoothly, as (as has been stated here many times) it would be nice to breath life into many OTHER "worn out" wood coasters around the country/globe!

So what's at SFOT that would justify Bert the Conqueror filming for two days this week? Judge Roy Scream? Titan? Superman Power of Tower? Batman and Mr Freeze are down so that can't be it, I'm at a loss on this one other than Titan and Superman. Maybe Yosemite Sam?

Titan was filmed today, and yes Mr. Freeze is being filmed tomorrow. The park is putting the trains back on the track for the show. SFOT really does deliver services for special occasions. This shows it. Superman would be a pretty good candidate for the show though considering he did WAAAAAAY smaller S&S rides before, like at Canobie Lake.

Maybe next year he'll come out for Giant! I'd LOOOOOOOOOOOVE to be in that film shoot! I was there for Titan today but have to work tomorrow.

So what's at SFOT that would justify Bert the Conqueror filming for two days this week?
Titan was filmed today, and yes Mr. Freeze is being filmed tomorrow.

Am I the only one who just cannot stand this show? My biggest beef with it is that it's called "Bert the Conqueror", but he's not "conquering" anything that's impressive. Like, when he did the Stratosphere tower rides, or the SCAD Jump, ok. That's fine. But Mr. Freeze? Canobie's Space Shot??? I'm sorry, but millions of people every year "conquer" Millennium Force. It's one thing if you're going to make a "roller coaster show", that's fine, but you're not a "conqueror" when 8 year old kids ride the same things as you are.

The show is garbage. Just my opinion...

Edited by robbalvey

So what's at SFOT that would justify Bert the Conqueror filming for two days this week?

Am I the only one who just cannot stand this show? My biggest beef with it is that it's called "Bert the Conqueror", but he's not "conquering" anything that's impressive. Like, when he did the Stratosphere tower rides, or the SCAD Jump, ok. That's fine. But Mr. Freeze? Canobie's Space Shot??? I'm sorry, but millions of people every year "conquer" Millennium Force. It's one thing if you're going to make a "roller coaster show", that's fine, but you're not a "conqueror" when 8 year old kids ride the same things as you are.

I agree with this. I mean, I've watched it, and he's a lighthearted sunny kind of jokester. But that's beside the point, he just happens to go all around the country doing weird uncommon things, which happens to include riding roller coasters. He's probably going to do stuff people know well (Stratosphere) and I had the same reaction when I heard he was coming to SFOT. I mean, I love the park but really? But this is one of those shows where things you never usually see (like Lagoon, the only episode I've ever watched) in normal shows.

Edited by Funky Cold Medina

Robb I completely agree with you on the show, I can't stand it either. Did anyone see the Cedar Point episode? Maybe I'm wrong, but Ive been going to Cedar Point a long time and have never heard of a "fearsome foursome challenge". And the way they portray what are in my opinion just average coasters like they are all World Record holding intense mega coasters gets really annoying.

Although I will give the show a little credit, they do feature some parks that don't usually make any travel/discovery channel shows like Canobie Lake, and Lagoon, and Dollywood. Which is kinda nice because I am getting tired of seeing the Stratosphere rides and Millennium Force featured on every single coaster show that ever gets made.

Am I the only one who just cannot stand this show?

I can't stand it either. I wish it had more information and less of Bart screaming his @$$ off. It really is lacking in content. He will go and ride something and make a big deal out of it even when it isn't.

I'm sorry, but millions of people every year "conquer" Millennium Force. It's one thing if you're going to make a "roller coaster show", that's fine, but you're not a "conqueror" when 8 year old kids ride the same things as you are.

I "conquered" MF at six.

It feels like the rollercoaster portion of the show is aimed completely to kids, and should be on a kids program. On the other hand, he has done some pretty cool things like the parasailing snowboard episode, and the "redneck" waterski tractor pull. But I guess those are the only few things he did do that was cool. Pond skimming on skis? I don't know of a ski resort that doesn't do that now, nor is it dangerous. Or how about the Blob, again pretty common, and it wasn't like on Nitro Circus where they raised it up about 150 feet....

If your going to do a show like that, you have to do stuff you normally wouldn't, even stuff that puts you in the face of danger. I mean come on, you have a show based around "extreme" things, so do something extreme.

I can't stand the show either, that was sort of what I was getting at originally. Titan? come on. Superman Tower of Power, sure, it's the tallest, but Mr. Freeze? lame.

I never watched the show, but I think what you all are forgetting is that many people are afraid of amusement park rides and coasters. People on TPR might not be afraid but we are a very small percentage (less than 1%) of the park going population. Practically every family I know has at least one member that won't ride much beyond family rides. This holds true even for a family like the Alveys, as Elissa's mom thinks most of us are nuts.

Now let's get back to Texas Giant discussions.

And the way they portray what are in my opinion just average coasters like they are all World Record holding intense mega coasters gets really annoying.

THIS! This! This! This! This! This!!!

Well said. Totally my exact thoughts on it. It's like I said, if the show is really a "theme park show", then it should be called that. But don't tell me you gotta be some insane lunatic thrill seeker to "conquer" Thunderhead at Dollywood...

--Robb "He's conquering rides made for families." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I never watched the show, but I think what you all are forgetting is that many people are afraid of amusement park rides and coasters. People on TPR might not be afraid but we are a very small percentage (less than 1%) of the park going population. Practically every family I know has at least one member that won't ride much beyond family rides. This holds true even for a family like the Alveys, as Elissa's mom thinks most of us are nuts.

But see, since you've never watched the show, you don't know that the audience it's targeting isn't Elissa's mom. It's not targeting people who are scared of coasters, it seems much more targeted to your average crowd standing in line for Millennium Force. That's what my problem with the show is.

It just seems really "off-balance." But clearly it has viewers, because, while I was shocked to see it renewed for a 2nd season, it did get renewed!

--Robb "I still think it's garbage..." Alvey