TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Okay, I realize that I'm the new guy here...but I've been keeping up with the thread and finally decided to register.

I greatly appreciate Zingoman's point of view on these "construction issues" that the Texas Giant is supposedly having. Cynical as it may sound, a coaster is not complete, in my opinion, until the first train of riders returns safely to the loading station. It is so easy to compare the Texas Giant to other roller coasters, but I think we (and I include myself) tend to forget that the new Texas Giant is unlike any other coaster in creation, and I believe it in all of our best interests to remember that fact.

Now, I hope I don't commit forum suicide, but because this particular thread is being followed by external sources, it would also be in the interest of all parties involved to really examine the things we post, as they are being broadcast to many people.

Now, I hope I don't commit forum suicide, but because this particular thread is being followed by external sources, it would also be in the interest of all parties involved to really examine the things we post, as they are being broadcast to many people.

Point taken, but also realize that if there are folks in here thinking things like "holy crap, those supports aren't enough to hold that thing up, are they?" then there are also folks in the GP who visit the park, see the thing, and think the same thing.

Actually, listening to the GP at the park on turkey weekend, they are thinking things that are far more stupid than what's said in here.

So I don't think that the external sources are going to be all that surprised to see discussion, speculation, debate, and fortune-telling in a thread like this.

I also think that if they're smart enough to know what they're doing when building something as complex as a coaster like TG, they're also smart enough to read something in a fan forum and consider the source before getting upset.

From all of the photos that I have seen, it looks like the new Texas Giant, will have 90 degree banked turns, or am I wrong. Don't the turns look a lot steeper like 90 degrees? The drop looks sick. This ride looks like it will kick some serious A$$.

Yeah, they put the actual stats on facebook the other day. First one is 103, second 105, third 114.

From all of the photos that I have seen, it looks like the new Texas Giant, will have 90 degree banked turns, or am I wrong. Don't the turns look a lot steeper like 90 degrees? The drop looks sick. This ride looks like it will kick some serious A$$.

Yeah, they put the actual stats on facebook the other day. First one is 103, second 105, third 114.

WHHATTT? Really? Banked turns of up to 114 degrees? 114 degree banked turn? That is much more then just flat on you're side. A turn like that puts Voyage and Hades to shame, and all other Gravity Group and GCI Coasters turns.

But I can't ever put those coaster down. Gravity Group and GCI make some of the best wooden coasters in the world.

My favorite wooden coaster companys

- Custom Coasters

- Great Coasters

- Intamin

- Gravity Group

Those wooden coasters rock my world.

But seriously, a banked turn of 114 degrees? You sure about that? I only heard that it was going to be a 95 degree banked turn.

I know for sure the drop is 79 degrees and they are incresing the lift hill by 10 feet, and of course, it's steel. LOL.

Saw the Texas Giant in person for the first time today...pretty impressive sight. My Cibolo Knights also took down Denton Guyer at Jerry World today! Great day

Ah you were there! Pretty epic game huh? Congrats by the way y'all were epic. Still love Denton Guyer though But back on the topic of TG, does anyone have any ideas as to what the multiple cranes were doing?

I'd imagine that the workers are working on calibrating and aligning the track. I think it's absolutely mystifying that the rails have all been installed separately from one another...left and right sides, I mean. So the last turn is 114...Incredible! This ride gets more and more attractive.

I'm renewing my season pass for Christmas!

WHHATTT? Really? Banked turns of up to 114 degrees? 114 degree banked turn? That is much more then just flat on you're side. A turn like that puts Voyage and Hades to shame, and all other Gravity Group and GCI Coasters turns.

But I can't ever put those coaster down. Gravity Group and GCI make some of the best wooden coasters in the world.

My favorite wooden coaster companys

- Custom Coasters

- Great Coasters

- Intamin

- Gravity Group

Those wooden coasters rock my world.

But seriously, a banked turn of 114 degrees? You sure about that? I only heard that it was going to be a 95 degree banked turn.

I know for sure the drop is 79 degrees and they are incresing the lift hill by 10 feet, and of course, it's steel. LOL.

Yeah, it was confirmed quite a few pages ago in this thread. They have signs on the ride that are stating that (It is either 112 or 114). Here's a picture that makes it pretty obvious that the turn is greater than 90 or 95 degrees.

http://coastercon.com/html/giant_december_20.html

All three are confirmed on Six Flags Over Texas' Facebook Page. Also, here's a good picture of the 105 degree.

http://coastercon.com/html/giant_december_17.html

I think it's absolutely mystifying that the rails have all been installed separately from one another...left and right sides, I mean.

That's pretty standard, actually. Unlike a steel coaster, where a piece of complete track (both rails, cross-ties, spine) is put in all at once, wood coasters build the structure, then put in the ledgers (cross-ties), then install the rails. In the case of this hybrid, the rails are long sections that get bolted down to the ledgers, but on a regular woodie, the rails are hand-built stacks of wood. A steel top plate is then bent on-site and mounted to the wood.

So what's at SFOT that would justify Bert the Conqueror filming for two days this week? Judge Roy Scream? Titan? Superman Power of Tower? Batman and Mr Freeze are down so that can't be it, I'm at a loss on this one other than Titan and Superman. Maybe Yosemite Sam?

So what's at SFOT that would justify Bert the Conqueror filming for two days this week? Judge Roy Scream? Titan? Superman Power of Tower? Batman and Mr Freezehttp://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=975762 are down so that can't be it, I'm at a loss on this one other than Titan and Superman. Maybe Yosemite Sam?

That's what I was thinking. There's absolutely nothing extremely major except for Titan. Surely, they wouldn't have Freeze or Batman open just for this correct? Maybe because of Titan's reputation (the intense helixes)? And even Superman could be part of it because (someone correct me if I'm wrong) isn't it one of the tallest S&S shot towers there is?

Yeah I remember my first ride (I'm terrified of heights) I was gripping onto the restraints so hard by the time I got off, my hands were completely white, numb, and sweaty.

But now it's one of my favorite rides there. And since Bert is apparently afraid of heights as well, I could see why it'd be part of his show.

And I just looked it up, and it is the tallest S&S combo tower, and one of the tallest ones in terms of the whole structure next to I think Supreme Scream at Knotts.

I was at the park yesterday and managed to get a couple of okay pics. I do have a HD construction video that I will post sometime later today or tomorrow. But here are the pics that I have right now:

DSC00051.JPG.3517e3d27e8dff65d11cdbe5f700cfa1.JPG

This is what you see from the parking lot!

DSC00053.JPG.66f09f23bae9335736208a553121f9c4.JPG

DSC00054.JPG.2417b8b62adc84f416938ce02608b3e8.JPG

DSC00055.JPG.eb1f57282a09839a54465f54f200dd57.JPG

More awesomeness!

DSC00056.JPG.f90ab3d73935fb8aec8f83e14bfc0176.JPG

DSC00057.JPG.42f5dcd5462a4c4e5349efbdcd769a25.JPG

Epic

DSC00058.JPG.a0b30396e4a4ac041550f5799bc2cc1d.JPG

Yea Blue!!! Sexy!

DSC00059.JPG.5f075a7dce11cf82accb1ead51048782.JPG

DSC00060.JPG.54b124e42fcdb141e49879c5de604144.JPG

DSC00061.JPG.2576345ce98079e7a21b793f51bdda52.JPG

The chain is now on the whole lift

DSC00062.JPG.2e2ab8f2b19c97b7e8cb26d1c6b70de2.JPG

People and cranes where on the second over banked turn

DSC00063.JPG.6639fd55a319458606538df2fd3d19c6.JPG

DSC00064.JPG.3b70b8930ed0891c155f7a443947ca40.JPG

Pretty nice looking!

DSC00067.JPG.8b8b05b51f8911452797b747988b108a.JPG

DSC00068.JPG.4f81c755a5bccbaac8fb970a5a658452.JPG

DSC00070.JPG.071493378129f67c13a083c97559fb7c.JPG

Looks like they were using the No Limits animation for advertisement. Hope to update you withe the video shortly!