TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

There is no good way to route overflow for that queue it seems. All along I thought if you bring it out to the left, you block the train station, restrooms, hot dog stand, patio and popcorn stand. If you go the right you block out Chaps, Giant's exit, Boot Scootin, and the woodshop but then have plenty of midway to eat up on the path towards Lonestar Theater. You can still see the temporary queue pole holes in the midway there from what I think may have been Giant's overflow in 1990 (can anyone confirm this?). I think I remember waiting in line out there opening year. Anyway, Giant's current entry in that little dead end plaza is pretty much unavailable for overflow without blocking many other things.

Giant's queue in 1990 was in the area that goes under the train tracks and that now lead to Titan. That wide, sloping area leading past the log flume was all switchback queues, then it went under the bridge and to the stairs at the base of the station. The overflow queue did, I believe, cross the path near the sign shop and continue down the midway you're talking about. There was an attendant monitoring the queue, since they had to have a gap in it to let folks through who wanted to ride the train, eat at the food stand, or find the restroom.

...at least that's the way I remember it. There have been a lot of mind-shaking Giant rides since then!

^ haha. I do very much remember the queue before Titan. I used to watch the logride while I waited in line. I just had a hard time recalling the overflow. I remember getting measured at least three times before even making it into the actual queue for the ride (I was barely 7 years old at the time).

I made a good friend because of that queue. He and I were next to each other in line, he hadn't been to the park in many years. We struck up a conversation and after about an hour of waiting, he mentioned that he doesn't ride "the big rides".

He thought he was in line for the log flume, lol!

I convinced him to ride Giant anyway, in the front seat. He (a stocky, bald, bearded grizzly bear of a man) screamed like a girl the whole time. He could barely walk when it was over and I figured that my life was about to be shortened considerably as soon as they released the restraints!

I ended up talking him into every coaster in the park that day. We're still friends, and he still won't ride anything unless I'm there to talk him into it.

A subject I don't think has been touched on yet in this thread:

What's this thing going to sound like? Tubular steel rails are hollow, but I'm not sure if these are or not. Will there be any resonance as the trains roll around the track? Without a box beam, I don't think we'll get a 'roar' like B&M, but I'm pretty sure it won't sound like a woodie, either.

Any thoughts?

It's now official: this is the one "must ride" coaster of 2011 for me. Don't know when, don't know how, but I'm getting to Texas.

As for the sounds this might make, I'd imagine that CP's Gemini would be the thing to listen to as a guide? Been so long since I've ridden that coaster that I don't recall any defining characteristics...

It's now official: this is the one "must ride" coaster of 2011 for me. Don't know when, don't know how, but I'm getting to Texas.

As for the sounds this might make, I'd imagine that CP's Gemini would be the thing to listen to as a guide? Been so long since I've ridden that coaster that I don't recall any defining characteristics...

I believe Gemini is just an oversized mine train that has those polyurethane or whatever in the hell they are made of wheels. It really doesn't make any kind of noise. These trains look to have all steel wheels which should create a pretty unique squeal.

The wheels on Giant's new trains are not steel, and if they were then they would have to have steel on top of the steel rails that they could replace over time due to wear. I've been wondering what it will sound like too. I imagine it will sound very quiet like an Intamin, or an Arrow but with a little metallic ring.

The track is most certainly hollow. Otherwise I don't see how it could weigh the same as the old wooden track. I don't think it'd be any louder than any other steel coaster. Probably quieter since the wooden supports are likely to dissipate more energy. Of course this is all speculation since the sound depends on sooo many factors.

B&Ms are especially loud because of the weight of the train, but the Giant's new trains don't look all that heavy. Plus I've always heard the square spine is what makes B&Ms so loud (if they're not filled with sand that is).

If it sounds anything like the old Giant, you'll be able to hear it throughout the park... I was hoping for onride audio with a sort of Western-Techno Mash Up. High energy from the electronica plus Texas feel from the country...

sweet, Brooks and Dunn meet Ministry!!!!

Also, I was hoping for some kind of Texas theming throughout the queue. The line has a straightaway that sits directly under the brake-run at the end of the ride. Enclosing that portion of the line and adding Texas memorabilia would really enhance the ride IMO. It would enforce the Texas theme of the ride. Everyone I've ever met absolutely abhors waiting in line. After visiting Disney growing up and finally Universal this year, theming the lines is a just and necessary expense. We waited in line for Forbidden Journey for 2 hours, but it felt like 30 minutes tops. Indiana Jone's queue always flies by as well.

Well if Six Flags want to continue with a crappy reputation in every aspect but their coasters, then they can keep the current standard up. I grew up in Dallas visiting SFOT monthly. It has now become a weekly outing with my friends. The theming throughout this park used to be fantastic, but they have let it slip in recent years. Everyone should do some research on SFOT to see their original roots. Angus G Wynne wanted to create the "Texas Disneyland." Some claim Disney actually got inspiration for the Jungle Cruise from the LaSalle's River Adventure (no longer there). Theming as well as high intensity thrills is the future of the industry IMO.

^That is true. I didnt even ever look to see if that was fact. LOL, my bad. I still think Six Flags should really take advantage of their roots and enhance each and every park's theming to a higher standard. The Texas Giant could be the first in a new wave of enhancements at the park... Whatever happens, I'm gonna be stoked to ride the Giant opening day!

Well we've been talking about nothing but Texas Giant, but let's not forget the whole reason they're doing this renovation: it's the park's 50th anniversary (and essentially the Six Flags chain's too). What else do we think the park is going to do? Obviously no major construction given they haven't started any but surely they're planning some other stuff for such a milestone.

I would think they'd bring back a lot of shows or incorporate some old theming into the park and just have all these flashbacks to the park's former days in separate parts of the park. They'll definitely end up having old signs up (I'd think) and whatnot. Since the park is full of people for HitP they don't want to start construction on anything UNLESS they close sections of the park down (like Gotham, although I'm pretty sure that's because the major rides are down) to start construction, but I'm sure once the offseason begins they'll really start getting stuff together.