TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

What about SFOG's Cyclone? Holy crap, can you imagine what that ride would be like if it had this makeover???

This all of course, is making the assumption that this treatment is going to rock and change the wood coaster world forever....

I remember, back in 1990, when GC first opened. It was, by far, the best coaster I ever rode. Smooth as glass and the whole ride was incredible. If they put this treatment on GC... holy crap indeed. It would be taking that original ride and doubling, no, tripling its greatness. I wouldn't care whether it's a woodie or steelie, it would simply be awesomeness incarnate.

That is, of course, assuming that it turns out to be as good as it looks.

Squid

Is this the first coaster overhaul like this for this company? Sorry if this was already discussed, but I could not find the answer.

I have to admit, when I first heard this and saw the price tag I was asking why. From these pictures, this thing is looking sweet. I may need to find a reason for my company to send me to the area for work this summer....

I also know that a few people mentioned this overhaul to Mean Streak. Robb pointed out that Mean Streak sucked in comparison to The Giant. I have been on the crap that is Mean Streak Streak many times but never have been to Six Flags Over Texas. I always thought from pictures that they were almost basically the same ride design, just sort of chiral in layout. What are the major differences out of curiosity? Like I said, my judgment was based on pictures though.

^ Mean Streak and Giant may have similar footprints but that's about where it ends.

For starters Giant took it's curves at great speed where Mean Streak barely scoots along. Giant also had some pops of air coming out of the turns into the drops where Mean Streak just curves up and over into the drops. Mean Streak also crosses over the lift once before the block brake, where Giant did it twice following the block brake.

Following the midcourse Mean Streak has a long leftward ramp then just wanders aimlessly through the entire structure about 40 to 50 feet above the ground and doesn't do ANYTHING. Texas Giant plummeted dramatically from it's block brake and flew over a nice floater hill then crossed under the lift to the only only "dull" moment of the ride, the helix. After the second turn over the lift Giant dropped into what was arguably the greatest section of wooden coaster track ever made. It flew along twisting hills tearing through the structure at what felt like far more speed than the ride should have left at this point. Once it emerged from the structure it did a nice fly-by with the first drop (just like Mean Streak) and bunny hopped once more before flying up into the brakes. Giant was jam packed with action! As is the new one looking to be!

Giant also ran its first half counter clockwise then the last half clockwise, where Mean Streak starts the course clockwise but then turns back on itself and runs counter clockwise. The two are roughly mirrored in a small way.

Here is a layout comparison to see their courses are quite different.

2088154541_MSvsTxGNL.png.0c9dbbcb16fed5f6e0be391abcd4b715.png

And some POV action of the two

Mean Streak

The Texas Giant

WOW !!!! Those are excellent pics! At first when Six Flags announced they were remodeling the Giant, my first impression was that's all we get for a 50th anniversary? And we're the first Six Flags? Seeing all the additions, and a much smoother ride seems to be a worthwhile investment indeed ! I was working at SFOT when the Texas Giant first opened. There were lines for days! Looks like that's about to happen again. Season Pass here I come !

There were a few things I was hoping for in the 50th anniversary as well; a return of the Spee- lunkers, bringing back the original theming (waterfall) and repairing much of the existing theming on the Mine Train, some enhancements to the Log Flumes, SOMETHING in Ft. St, Louis (France) (Can we say perhaps an awesome re imagining of Skull Island?)

BUT- this TG overhaul is a pretty big helping of AWESOME- I can't WAIT!

Have these been posted yet?

(Got these at New Element)

Who is "new element" and why are they stealing pics?

Two of those pics are mine (see page 139 of this thread) and one is chadster's (see page 141)

(I just looked them up) - I really don't care if my pics of the Giant get spread around so more folks get excited, but it would at least be nice if they would credit where they got them.

Is this the first coaster overhaul like this for this company? Sorry if this was already discussed, but I could not find the answer.

I also know that a few people mentioned this overhaul to Mean Streak. Robb pointed out that Mean Streak sucked in comparison to The Giant. I have been on the crap that is Mean Streak Streak many times but never have been to Six Flags Over Texas. I always thought from pictures that they were almost basically the same ride design, just sort of chiral in layout. What are the major differences out of curiosity? Like I said, my judgment was based on pictures though.

Speaking of Mean Streak, I got quite a laugh a few years ago when "Big Dick" put up a big banner on it saying "rated one of the top 10 wood coasters." I guess maybe the top ten for pain.

Two of those pics are mine (see page 139 of this thread) and one is chadster's (see page 141)

(I just looked them up) - I really don't care if my pics of the Giant get spread around so more folks get excited, but it would at least be nice if they would credit where they got them.

It's just another forum, and so sorry I didn't know you took it! They didn't credit them but I'll be sure to put your name up.

Speaking of Mean Streak, I got quite a laugh a few years ago when "Big Dick" put up a big banner on it saying "rated one of the top 10 wood coasters." I guess maybe the top ten for pain.

I was working at CP on Demon Drop in 06 and 07. I remember them actually putting that on Mean Streak. Now i will admit i was kinda pumped to ride this cause I love woodies, but after I was like Who put that sign up? Reall cp REALLY. Top ten my butt!

Same, I don't care if they post them, but credit should be given. Suppose as crunch time commeth we will have to mark our pics, something I try not to do on this site.